REALLY NEED TO LOSE 50lbs!

Take it one step a time... a goal like 50lbs is hard to wrap our brains around/ Try 15 pounds by september and then do 15 more by a few months later. That will allow you feel your sucess. Sucess helps modivate us further. Small reachable goals are better that large difficult ones. Good luck! Also try Bikrim yoga! It is a great to help with both moivation and excercise. I do it and it really helps me connect and find time for working out and other things that are important that I may not want to do.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would chime in that Weight Watchers is not a diet. It is a support group that teaches you how eat better by showing you correct portion sizes and being aware of what you are giving your body. It is a lifestyle change. Like Rachel said, the calorie apps for smart phones will do almost the same thing as WW. I promise if you write down what you eat: and are honest about it wink.gif you will start to lose because you don't want to see a 5,000 calorie day on paper. The biggest thing for weight loss is to burn more than you eat. So exercise and your food, both play integral roles in your life.

And I love all of the small goal advice! It's the little wins that keep us moving forward. Reward yourself when you reach a goal - I just got new hiking boots for reaching a personal goal :)

That's what I was going to say Autumn. Changing the way you eat IS a lifestyle change and a very important one. Even if you exercised for hours but ate more than you were able to burn off, you won't lose weight! It's about burning more than you consume. Exercise just allows you to have more flexibility with your "diet".

WW is a great support system too and allows you to have those small achievable goals- with your ultimate goal still in sight. However, if you don't want to pay for that, you can get the free apps/websites and they will track just as well.

Counting calories is definitely the way to go (coupled with exercise, of course)! I had 60lbs to lose and when my FI and I began to count calories, we had the most success. I've tried low carb, Nutrisystem, low fat, etc.; but the calorie counting took my weight loss to a whole new level. It made me look forward to going to the gym. I learned how to balance my intake so I could have dessert every now and then! I used the calorie counter on Health Information, Resources, Tools & News Online - EverydayHealth.com. It also lets you log your exercise, weight, and water intake to show you exactly how you are progressing toward your goals.

It's not easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly333 View Post
I do have until next year but i really wanted it done by fall so I can be in maintenance mode.Thanks for the words of encouragement & advice.

Kim
Hello Kim !

good luck on this important endeavor !

First thing - and a really important one : don't try to lose too fast or it can actually be dangerous for your health - you can lose a lot of metabolites, of muscle mass (which is the lean mass but also the heavier), your skin risks to be flappy because it won't have the time to un-stretch, you will be tired + worst of all it will be VERY hard to maintain.

A healthy weight loss is MAX 2lb per week - that's 25 weeks minimum (6 months). And just trying to be realistic - 2lb per week is A LOT after the first 3-4 weeks. So in order not to be disappointed and lose courage you should really plan on 1 year rather than 2-3 months ! And 6 months should be a minimum time for your goal.

Somebody mentioned WW. Honestly I believe they have the best approach because :
- they have great support groups that can help you with the motivation when you have a hard time with this
- their approach combines diet (in the sense of healthy approach to your diet rather than "slimming" diet) and exercise which is the best
- they never make you feel guilty if you temporarily fall off track
- it's a long-term approach. A plan you can stick to for years and still have a life (go out, have family dinners etc)
- they give you great sense of nutrition and dietetics and portions.

After that you can chose exercise plans, tapes, etc but this is just an "add-on". With WW I lost 30lb in 6 months and I'm not going to say it was easy, but it sure worked...

If you don't like the meetings they also have the online solution. That is something you can actually start from home, without going to a meeting - because if you're lacking motivation I can totally see you postponing finding a meeting lol ! So you just register online and that allows you to get started with the program, the points, the recipes, plus they have a forum so you can find support there - looks like you like forums so that could work for you wink.gif And you can register what you eat online instead of writing it down, it's easier, too.

Good luck !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
Hello Kim !

good luck on this important endeavor !

First thing - and a really important one : don't try to lose too fast or it can actually be dangerous for your health - you can lose a lot of metabolites, of muscle mass (which is the lean mass but also the heavier), your skin risks to be flappy because it won't have the time to un-stretch, you will be tired + worst of all it will be VERY hard to maintain.

A healthy weight loss is MAX 2lb per week - that's 25 weeks minimum (6 months). And just trying to be realistic - 2lb per week is A LOT after the first 3-4 weeks. So in order not to be disappointed and lose courage you should really plan on 1 year rather than 2-3 months ! And 6 months should be a minimum time for your goal.

Somebody mentioned WW. Honestly I believe they have the best approach because :
- they have great support groups that can help you with the motivation when you have a hard time with this
- their approach combines diet (in the sense of healthy approach to your diet rather than "slimming" diet) and exercise which is the best
- they never make you feel guilty if you temporarily fall off track
- it's a long-term approach. A plan you can stick to for years and still have a life (go out, have family dinners etc)
- they give you great sense of nutrition and dietetics and portions.

After that you can chose exercise plans, tapes, etc but this is just an "add-on". With WW I lost 30lb in 6 months and I'm not going to say it was easy, but it sure worked...

If you don't like the meetings they also have the online solution. That is something you can actually start from home, without going to a meeting - because if you're lacking motivation I can totally see you postponing finding a meeting lol ! So you just register online and that allows you to get started with the program, the points, the recipes, plus they have a forum so you can find support there - looks like you like forums so that could work for you wink.gif And you can register what you eat online instead of writing it down, it's easier, too.

Good luck !!
Ayita took the words right out of my mouth. I am a Weight Watchers leader and lost 30lbs on the program. WW teaches you what you need to know for LIFETIME success. I love the program and if you follow it, it works. And definitely give yourself time to lose the weight.

Thanks again for all the advice. I haven't had any junk food in the last three days (which is a uphill battle for me) I love ice cream. I haven't started working out yet but plan to go for a walk in the morning!!!

Thanks for your continued support it helps a lot.....

Kim

• 1 month later...