Sign in to follow this  
kmarie

Memorial for our Fathers

What a sensitive subject and I too am trying to figure out how to honor our loved ones that passed.  I have lost 3 family members this year, one of them being my 19 year old cousin.  She was supposed to me at my wedding ;(  I was going to have each guest release a butterfly but I have heard the butterflys are a lot of work because you have to wake them from hibernation.  I have now been considering to release doves.  One dove for each family member taken.  I will have my aunt release the dove for my cousin (her mother) i will release one for my grandfather and my father will release one for his mother.  I was going to have a quick tribute during my reception (before dark) and have the doves there and ready to be released!  There are some great ideas on this forum so far.  Good luck to you all and what you decide to choose...

You could also do the memorial candles.  Take vellum and print their pictures on it , wrap and tape it on a glass cylinder vase and put a candle inside the vase and light these during your reception.  Set up a seperate table with them on it by your guestbook.

I was thinking of finding some exquisite miniature chairs for each person we would like to honor and have them on our head table. 5 altogether I really like the miniature charms on the bouquet as well

For my sisters wedding I put a picture in her bouquet so it was like he was walking her down the aisle. I plan to do the same thing along with leaving the first chair on my side empty and as I get down the aisle put a white rose on that chair for him. I will also have a memory table at the reception. 

Im stuck on this one. My fiances father died when he was 12 so I never got to meet him. But the thing is, he used to beat up his Mum. Obviously it was hard for my fiance because he was only young, and obviously he still loved his dad and misses him. I want to encorporate something into the wedding about his Dad, but then at the same time I don't want to because I don't believe in woman beaters. I'm not sure if that sounds incredibly insensitive.

My dad passed away when I was young and I miss him everyday. I'm definitely having my mom walk me down the aisle and including a picture charm on my bouquet. I like the idea of leaving a chair empty though.

My dad passed away about 7 1/2 years ago and I will definitely have my mom walk me down the aisle.  I love the idea of having some sort of picture or something of his attached to my bouquet and leaving a chair open for him.

My question for you ladies is, what should we do about the parent/children dances?  My FI is the only boy with 4 older sisters so I am sure him and his mom would like to have a dance.  But my mom thought the idea of her and I dancing together was weird - lol.  Would it be weird do our first dance and then only have FI and his mom dance??

Thanks!

Originally Posted by sunny55143 View Post

My dad passed away about 7 1/2 years ago and I will definitely have my mom walk me down the aisle.  I love the idea of having some sort of picture or something of his attached to my bouquet and leaving a chair open for him.

My question for you ladies is, what should we do about the parent/children dances?  My FI is the only boy with 4 older sisters so I am sure him and his mom would like to have a dance.  But my mom thought the idea of her and I dancing together was weird - lol.  Would it be weird do our first dance and then only have FI and his mom dance??

Thanks!

While FI dances with his mother, could you dance with his father? 

I didn't have either parent, so that's what we did. My husband danced with his mom, and I was suppose to dance with his dad (who we couldn't find) so his uncle stepped in LOL. At the end of the day, I think it's more of an important moment for you and the parents then for the guests. So do what you're comfortable with!