Photo

BP Oil Spill Concerns?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NiagaraBridetobe

NiagaraBridetobe
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

My FI has concerns that the BP oil spill could make its way to the Jamaican coast within a years time. Is anyone else worried?

#2 beckerz311

beckerz311
    • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I'm not worried...I'm hoping that they'll have it mostly cleaned up by the time my wedding rolls around.

I think unless there are tons of hurricanes this season and they make their way into the Gulf, that the oil probably won't make it over to Jamaica.

Course, I could be completely wrong and it could be over there by the end of the year.

#3 Jamaica Guru

Jamaica Guru
      • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Although the oil spill is a major concern to Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean, so far conditons have not been favorable for it to affect us. That is weather conditions and ocean currents. Unfortunately it is the poor Gulf states that are going to be affected the worst.

#4 NiagaraBridetobe

NiagaraBridetobe
        • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

I agree... we just thought that it would be a good thing to chat about, considering it is hurricane season and anything can happen. Thanks for your replies!

#5 akua420

akua420
          • 301 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

I am very worried about that too. But as my FI put it, if it happens then good thing there are pools and swim-up bars!

Which is totally true. If it happens, it happens.
            Gran Bahia Principe - Runaway Bay - February 22, 2011

#6 mekanabr

mekanabr
            • 537 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

I obviously don't know where it will end up (hopefully it can be contained to the golf!) but if it follows the ocean's currents, then it would likely head up the east coast...

So sad

#7 TanyonL

TanyonL
              • 166 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Tragic, but the oil has already reached the coast of Florida so now the kids there are getting oily too. Reuters AlertNet - Florida coast suffers first impact from oil spill

#8 christina39

christina39
                • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

What is the weather like in Jamaica in October?

#9 soontobemrsdow

soontobemrsdow
                  • 250 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

its such a sad occurance but i mean even if it doesn reach it's way (which i dont think it will) there is nothing you can do about it and people will just have to understand that. like akua said theres always the pools!

#10 Leez309

Leez309
                    • 186 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

October is rainy season, so there is a good chance it will rain everyday. I have been there in October where it has just rained for like an hour a day, and that was great to help cool things off a little. I have also been there where it has rained for a few hours out of the day. Overall though, October is my favorite time to go. It's still really warm, but not as hot as the summer months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users