Photo

Rude Remarks When Mentioning DW in Mexico..Anyone Else?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 soontobemrsdow

soontobemrsdow
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

im so sorry to hear that. we're getting the same comments with jamaica now because of the whole debacle going on in kingston...on the other side of the island just like mexico! Just let it slide off your back and not bother you. I know it can be hard at times but it'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary stress!

#22 T&C

T&C
    • 168 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

We've been hearing this from our inlaws. Not about Mexico, but about the DR. I just try to smile and nod it away. Or I have said a few times that it was our decision and that's where we want to be married.

They still can't wrap their heads around a DW so I doubt the location makes much of a difference.

I'm sorry that you're getting all these comments - just try to focus on the positive people! Negative nellies aren't worth it :)

#23 amh777

amh777
      • 117 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

I am SO in the beginning stages of planning and have not sent out any save the dates, but everyone we have told hasn't been overly thrilled with the idea of Mexico for our wedding. Everyone says "what about (blank)" insert, jamaica, cabo, etc... Frankly, its the cheapest, nicest place we can afford for ourselves and the cheapest place we could find for our friends/family to be able to join us. We'd be fine taking the approx $12k we're spending on the wedding and eloping in Hawaii, but our families complained too much about not seeing the wedding. I think I would really enjoy it much more if it was just the FI and me and maybe a couple of friends, but its impossible to please everyone and since its your wedding, I think you should be the one whose opinion matters the most!

#24 SDSteph

SDSteph
        • 812 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

I got this on my rsvp yesterday

Chris/Steph, of course Aunt Carrie and I are goin to make every attempt to be there. Despite the never ending bad news about Mexico. A few weeks there was an entire article in The Newsday travel section about why not to go there and what to be aware of when you do.

Ha I feel your pain girl!

Don't let it get you down!
          Steph and Kel Mayan Riveria - February 2011http://www.stephnkelwedding.com

#25 Mkandola

Mkandola
          • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I usually tell people that they have a greater chance of getting caught in the violence in the neighbourhood that they are currently living in just to deflect a bit!

#26 MissSimone

MissSimone
            • 255 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Some people are so bold. The audacity to tell someone else where they should have THEIR wedding??!! Hell to the naw. Tell those people it'd be best if they didn't come and bring their negative attitudes to paradise. Nobody needs that drama at the start of their new union.

#27 Bride Loving CJ

Bride Loving CJ
              • 278 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by SDSteph
                I got this on my rsvp yesterday

Chris/Steph, of course Aunt Carrie and I are goin to make every attempt to be there. Despite the never ending bad news about Mexico. A few weeks there was an entire article in The Newsday travel section about why not to go there and what to be aware of when you do.

Ha I feel your pain girl!

Don't let it get you down!
                WOW! That's all I can say is WOW!

#28 AndreaD

AndreaD
                • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

I know how you feel... There are some people among my guests who may be nervous, but once they get to Cancun, they will realize that it is NOT like they make "Mexico" out to be in the news. If people refuse to go because they are afraid, then you are better off not having them at your wedding (who wants a wet blanket?). I noticed that the people who are going to my DW in Cancun are the people that like to have fun and people who love us. I think it'll be a great environment to spend the few days before the "BIG" day. Once you get replies and guests start to book, you will be looking forward to the wedding and not caring much about the people who aren't going or people who mentioned negative things.

#29 SDSteph

SDSteph
                  • 812 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by KRama
                    One bride on this forum really put it into perspective for me and I used this example all the time when people had comments about having my wedding in Mexico:

So there's gang violence in New York. Does that mean you'd be afraid to vacation in California? Because that's about how far away the violence in Mexico is!
                    Ha I want to put that on my site!

I was just told by a family memeber that no one is going to come to our wedding because of the violance in mexico!

Can I really post a travel advisory with the correct information on my website to clear all of these stupid rumors up?

#30 SDSteph

SDSteph
                    • 812 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

Oh I just forgot that people were shot here in Vegas at the Costo.......wait it was still packed today! Why are they not worried about theit life! WTF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users