Photo

HELP! The Royal PDC or Valentin Imperial Maya?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 Lady_Di

Lady_Di
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

It would be good to read reviews for both resorts.

We loved our stay at the Royal and had our wedding there. It was beautiful.

#12 hoyt75

hoyt75
    • 371 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by *tinkertoy*
      Quick question- the beach at VIM is *worse* than EDR? I was told it was better and actually swimmable. That is one of the important things for my fiance.
      I don't think that either resort has a better or worse beach, they're literally 3 or 5 minute drive from each other so they share the same beach. The only difference, from what I can tell according to our friends that honeymooned there, is that the EDR has large sand bags that they put out in the water. These sand bags serve 2 purposes: 1) being that they control the erosion of the sand a bit more and 2) they block more waves creating a calmer swimming between the shore and the bags. Now with that being said, then you have to deal with the sand bags as your background at the EDR, while at the VIM you have a clean view of the ocean.

As stated previously, we swam and snorkled at the VIM just fine. If you go to the beach and walk to the right about 5 minutes, past where they hold the wedding ceremonies, you'll find even calmer waters.

#13 *tinkertoy*

*tinkertoy*
      • 271 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

OK, checked trip advisor and WOW RPDC got bad reviews recently.

I think we need to pull the trigger on VIM!

EEK!

Thanks for being so helpful ladies!

#14 Lady_Di

Lady_Di
        • 5,078 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Just to keep in mind that sometimes the reviews aren't exactly accurate on tripadvisor...best way to read reviews in the Reviews section.

#15 *tinkertoy*

*tinkertoy*
          • 271 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

of course...reviews are always taken with a grain of salt, both good and bad!
            :)

#16 adelaide

adelaide
            • 200 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

I probably should have been more clear in my first post :)

The food was FABULOUS. Whether it was room services or the restaraunts, we loved it.

I think the part that we didn't like was the "vibe" of the resort. Keeping in mind that we had just come from a resort with really personalized service. This resort just didn't give us the same feeling. The staff weren't as friendly when we checked in, the refused to aknowledge our honeymoon (there is supposed to be a room upgrade and bottle of champagne etc.), the excuse for this was that our TA failed to tell them about the honeymoon when she booked it (which is totally untrue as I was cc'd on all of the emails). We didn't bother fighting it as we just wanted to enjoy our honeymoon, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

So really, we had no real complaints about the resort, it just didn't measure up to the first week and it was hard not to compare the two.

No matter which resort you choose you will have a fabulous wedding and memories for the rest of your lives together...so enjoy!!

#17 *tinkertoy*

*tinkertoy*
              • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks all!

I think we are almost ready to commit to VIM.

The only issue now is I can't find pricing for all of the "extras" for 2010. I'm a noob so I can't download anything on here. Am hoping to hear back from the resort...

If anyone happens to have the pricing, specifically the cost to have a private reception I would love to see it.

thinkthink98 at hotmail

#18 ChicagoBride2011

ChicagoBride2011
                • 277 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

I'm getting married at The Royal-PDC next May. We did a site visit this past April and I do not have one bad thing to say about the place! The food was delicious and I'm a fairly picky eater. The service was AMAZING!

A couple things to keep in mind when comparing the two resorts: 1. The Royal is a block from 5th Ave and not as secluded as other resorts. We liked that because it allows our guests to freely do what they want and not be "stuck" at the resort or having to hire a car/taxi to get into town. The town is adorable and so much fun 2. The RPDC is beautiful but not has scenic as the more secluded resorts

Hope this helps you!

Had the most AMAZING wedding at The Royal PDC on May 1, 2011

#19 *tinkertoy*

*tinkertoy*
                  • 271 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

Thanks all...we ended up going with the Valentin. I LOVED the location if The Royal but I found out there were 4 other weddings planned on my day so we went with VIM.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users