RIU Ocho Rios Help!

I have some questions about weddings at the RIU. The response time from the coordinator is too slow for my liking (they're on Caribbean time!). If there are any brides who have gotten married here or are going to marry here please help!

1. Does anyone know about the dj equipment? is it ipod ready or do we have to bring cds?

2. Tipping - do we tip the steel drum band, wedding dinner servers, wedding coordinator, reception bar staff? I have no clue on how to proceed on this.

3. Where is the rain venue? our ceremony is on the beach at 2pm and if it rains, what is the fall back? I really don't want to get married in a conference room. I don't care what day it is, conference room lighting is never flattering and I didn't picture my wedding day with carpet.

Any tips/info that we should know about would be much appreciated! We leave in 24 days!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseLyn10 View Post
I have some questions about weddings at the RIU. The response time from the coordinator is too slow for my liking (they're on Caribbean time!). If there are any brides who have gotten married here or are going to marry here please help!

1. Does anyone know about the dj equipment? is it ipod ready or do we have to bring cds?

2. Tipping - do we tip the steel drum band, wedding dinner servers, wedding coordinator, reception bar staff? I have no clue on how to proceed on this.

3. Where is the rain venue? our ceremony is on the beach at 2pm and if it rains, what is the fall back? I really don't want to get married in a conference room. I don't care what day it is, conference room lighting is never flattering and I didn't picture my wedding day with carpet.

Any tips/info that we should know about would be much appreciated! We leave in 24 days!

Hi you might want to use the search function on here and it will yield alot of information.

As for the DJ you have a choice, you can bring your IPOD or you can have the DJ play or bring your CD's

The rain location I'm not sure of I've seen pics of people who did it at the plantation though, which is the open air restaurant.

As for tipping it's not a requirement but its reccomended.

I hope this helps, but again looking thorugh the forum yields alot more detailed info from brides who've been through it.

yeah it takes a while to search. One day I just sat down and went through the Jamaica forum and just clicked on the topics that interested me and I found a ton of information. I've also looked through all the wedding reviews of ROR dating back to 2008 and I found even more info. but, then again I was bored at work and didnt' have much to do, so I didnt' mind spending a couple of hours doing that.

1- Not too sure about music. I brought cd's along with me and they played them for us. I have heard about others bringing ipods and docking stations.

2- We tipped our wait staff as we had 32 people have dinner with us and our photographer as well. We did not tip the wedding co-ordinator as this is her job. Many do though. You do not receive drinks at your dinner unless maybe requested??. If you plan on tipping, I would wait until after the services are complete to do so to make sure you are satisfied.

3- The rain venue is the Mammee bay. I have not seen the set up for this so I am not sure what they do with this to make it weddingish.

Hope this helps :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
1- Not too sure about music. I brought cd's along with me and they played them for us. I have heard about others bringing ipods and docking stations.

2- We tipped our wait staff as we had 32 people have dinner with us and our photographer as well. We did not tip the wedding co-ordinator as this is her job. Many do though. You do not receive drinks at your dinner unless maybe requested??. If you plan on tipping, I would wait until after the services are complete to do so to make sure you are satisfied.

3- The rain venue is the Mammee bay. I have not seen the set up for this so I am not sure what they do with this to make it weddingish.

Hope this helps :)

YES!! thank you so much!

I have emailed Chandlyn and am still waiting for a reply about the music. There is a luggage restriction this summer for WestJet flying to Montego Bay and I really don't want to pack our docking station if possible.

I also mailed our documents to the resort last month and have no idea if they were ever received. I am supposed to get some kind of confirmation that I haven't gotten yet, but am still waiting.

I didn't know that scanning and emailing the docs was also acceptable.

What happens if they don't receive our legal docs? Will they still marry us? I am sick to my stomach thinking that our 47 guests will get down there and we won't be able to get married.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseLyn10 View Post
I wish I knew that before I mailed everything!

I wonder what happens if they don't receive our documents. I am super nervous about this.
Bring them along with you and check when you have your appointment with the wedding co-ordinator.
Everything for us went super smooth and I was worrying for nothing. Try and relax and enjoy your day! It is what it is :)