Photo

Symbolic wedding or Legal wedding????

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PuntaCanaNikki

PuntaCanaNikki
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

I am fighting to decide.... Either I will get married here and just have a symbolic/renewal of vows in DR or do the whole legal thing down there. The thing is I am looking to get married by October which gives me very limited time to get all my documents together translated legalized and all that hectic mess or just legally get married here but have a nice beach ceremony in DR.

I am on a tight budget as well... So my question is....

Is doing a symbolic wedding going to save me lot's of stress/money??

Also does anyone know of a nice 4* or more resort that offers a renewal of vows at a descent cost??

Thanks bunches
    ~Nikki~

#2 mdb

mdb
    • 190 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

I think you would have time to do the paperwork for the legal ceremony in the dominican. Our paperwork came back quickly. We are getting married in august and sent our paperwork out last month... It's back already : )

I'm not getting married at Majestic Elegance but that was one of my top choices. Check their prices for renewal! Hope this helps

#3 niecimar

niecimar
      • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

I had a symbolic ceremony and went to city hall the week before my wedding. I think its less complicated that way and you dont have to be worried about how its going to be filed, when etc.
        Denise & Ziggy
        June 5, 2010
        http://www.youtube.c..../0/38XwzNwQb-A

#4 glenny05

glenny05
        • 61 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

I am doing the symbolic because I'm on a tight budget also. We are saving $450 from the hotel's wedding package plus all the legal paperwork $300-$500. So we are saving about $750 to $950, which makes a difference for us. :)
          Glenny & Anthony
          Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana
          October 9th, 2010

http://tickers.Ticke....EPK/weight.png
          http://img.weddingco....i63z9ajt1q.png

#5 Iamalldiva

Iamalldiva
          • 163 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

@ PuntaCanaNikki - Thanks for the thread!

@ glenny05 thanks for the breakdown! I'm really thinking now. Makes since to save on the wedding package and the legal paperwork process. Not to mention blood testing and waiting period.

#6 BachataBride

BachataBride
            • Banned
            • 9,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

If the timing of your paperwork is you main concern do not worry about that. You cannot sign your single affadavit until 3 months before your wedding date anyway...I think we got all our paper done only 2 months before the wedding. If it`s the budget thing you are worried about then I think you might be better off doing your legal here...but don`t forget there are also costs for doing that here as well. I personally did not want to get married before we went for our DW because I thought it might take away some of that "I'm getting married" moment...but there are lots of people who do it & it doesn't bother them at all! I think you should do you research thoroughly before making a decision...find out the total costs for both options & then discuss both with your FI. Good luck...once this decision is made, and your location finalized, the rest is a breeze!!

#7 MrsJones2Be

MrsJones2Be
              • 311 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

I think that is a great idea and I never considered it, but I am seriously considering this, thanks for posting this and answering questions ladies~
                MRS JONES 2 BE!

#8 atrott

atrott
                • 208 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

We're going to sneak off to the courthouse before our trip & have the legal ceremony. I liked the suggestions from the other thread about not saying vows/exchanging rings at the courthouse. We're having the symbolic ceremony at the resort & keeping quiet. I have found out that if I use the minister provided by the resort, he speaks only Spanish so I'm curious how that's going to be!? lol

#9 jennster_04

jennster_04
                  • 176 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

symbolic, i dont know why you would want to get blood work done in another country and its more expensive
                    Married August 10, 2010 at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal!!!

#10 BachataBride

BachataBride
                    • Banned
                    • 9,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by jennster_04
                      symbolic, i dont know why you would want to get blood work done in another country and its more expensive
                      Just to let you know - you only have to get bloodwork done if you get married in Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users