Do You Think Your Dress Will Make You Too Hot In The Sun?

I have a question while sitting in this sweltering (sp?) heat of Chicago. I have been in love with a wedding dress the first time I saw it on "Say Yes to the Dress" months ago. I had my heart set on this being "THE DRESS". But now the Chicago heat is killing me!! I'm one of those gals that cannot take heat... I get cranky, tired and weak. So, in the past few weeks, all I can think about is how hot I will be in this dress, lol!!

Click the image to open in full size.

Please let me know where you're getting married at and show me your dress. I would so appreciate it! Maybe it would let me know I'm over-reacting just a little bit...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That dress is beautiful...but I agree that it does look like it would be hot. Have you tried it on yet?

I'm getting married in Montego Bay Jamaica in January (the average temp is said to be around 80 degrees).

I tried on a lot of dresses that were heavy and full of tulle and I was sweating just standing in the stores so I decided I had to go with chiffon. Here's mine:

First of all - GORGEOUS GORGEOUS dress!

I got married April 10 in Jamaica this year and it was hot.

When we were on the beach for the ceremony and cocktail hour, it was very breezy and nice, but pretty much everywhere else it was hot and sticky.

That being said, you will be hot whether you are in a bathing suit or a wedding gown. My gown, as you can see, was strapless, and I was really glad I made that choice. it was kind of heavy, but not too bad.

I made sure to keep drinking cold water and frozen drinks, and tried to stay in the shade when I could. You will be so busy being the bride that the heat won't bother you so much. I hate the heat, but that day, I wasn't that hot.

Only you know yourself...you don't want to be weak and cranky on your wedding day, but you do want to be beautiful. You can keep yourself cool enough...I say get the beautiful dress you love and keep some cool towels around to wipe your neck and pulse points.

If you really love that dress... then I think you need to at least try it on! If you go to Kleinfeld to try it on they have sooo many dresses...so if you find it to heavy they can always show you similar dresses that are lighter.

I think I will probably be hot in my dress... but I have never been "too hot" before because I love the heat. lol If you can't handle the heat then you should definitely keep it in mind though!

Good luck! :)

I totally know what you're going through!! I had found a dress that I really liked and after I tried it on realized I was melting in the store, never mind on the beach in Cuba.

While I didn't go totally chiffon, my dress does have the corset back and I'm looking to have it shortened to being mid-calf length to allow for some airflow underneath with the hope that it will help.

Formal wedding dresses Voyage collection from Mori Lee Style 6308 - Delicate Chiffon with Beading

Thanks Jerseykitten for the tips to stay cool, I think I'll need them :-)

I too was unsure but i really love my maggie gown...its soooo fabulous! I thought where I was getting married away I should have something lighter...BUT..it will be no different than getting married in my home town on a hot summery day at 30 plus ddegrees sooo i decided to get the gown that I felt the best in!

I say go for what u love!! its only ONE DAY!! :)

I went with a very light weight material, Raw Silk.

http://palomablanca.com/3802.swf

I went with a Paloma Blanca 3802.

I am getting Married in Key West in April with a outside ceremony. Temps are usually 80-90's. I thought having a big dress would make me hot, so we decided to keep the ceremony outside later in the day to avoid the extreme heat and make it short and sweet, then have our reception inside with A/C. Then I am only outside for a bit :). Plus our reception site has plenty of windows to make it not a stuffy ballroom :).

You could always find a shorter dress to change into if you think the heat might get to you, but of course if you are spending a good amount on the dress I wouldnt want to change either :). Once you get dresses on you will have a better ideal of what works and what doesn't, I knew instantly I didnt want a satin dress, they were sooo heavy!!! The raw silk is very light and airy :)

All the best

You will be hot regardless of what you wear! It is hot down South... I wore a Pronovias dress and I was fine during the ceremony / evening. The only time that I was hot was during dinner, but everyone was hot during dinner, including all of the ladies in summer dresses (bad ventilation where we were). We had our ceremony 1h before sunset, so it wasn't too hot by then. That could be a great alternative (a later wedding) because if you can afford that dress, you should get it. It's amazing!!! (I've also been in love with it since seeing it on TV!)