How to legalize your wedding in Canada?

There is a lot of confusion about destination marriages in Canada.  Marriages are covered under two distinct statutes.  One is the Canada Marriage Act, but then each province has its own Marriage Act.  All provinces are not the same.  As a marriage Officiant in Ontario I can only speak to how legalizing a destination wedding works in Ontario.  You don't 'have' to do anything to make your marriage legal.  But you do have to take certain steps to have your marriage registered and to be able to access all of the benefits to which you are entitled once married.  Make things easy one yourself and avoid any future confusion and additional expenses.  Obtain a marriage license from your municipal office.  You may be married the same day that you receive your license.  Locate an Officiant who will perform a 'quick ceremony' for you.  Shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes.  I hove done them at restaurants and at fast food places.  The Officiant then looks after the registration of your marriage.  Then go and enjoy your 'wedding' at your destination.  No one other than the bride, groom and Officiant needs to know about the registration ceremony.  Oh, don't forget about the 2 witnesses - often strangers are more than happy to be witnesses.

I have been told that the Dominican will no longer perform a Destination Wedding unless you can prove that your marriage has been registered in your home country.  Best to do the marriage registration ceremony about a week before you leave for your destination wedding.

Two couples have told me that it can cost thousands of dollars to have a destination wedding registered in Ontario.  You cannot register your own marriage - you need an Officiant/clergy registration  # [sometimes a municipal clerk will do this for you - but don't count on it].  A lawyer cannot register your marriage as they do not have a registration #.

• 3 months later...

I have question I am getting married in punta cana in August but can't get judge to do the ceremony because he is booked the day of our wedding . How do I legalize my wedding in ontario before I go to punta cana . Or can I get a license in Ontario and have the person sign it who will be preforming our see crevice .

@cremoniesont my fiancee and I are getting married in Cuba.  Do you know what the procedure would be for us to make our marriage legally binding in Ontario?  Would you recommend us getting married in Ontario first (signing papers) before going to Cuba for our ceremony?  

I'm also wondering where I could find more information about how to go about changing my last name after I get married.  If we have a legal ceremony here how long would it take for my last name to be changed? 

It is quite simple to take care of the legalities of your marriage.  You don't need a judge or justice of the peace.  Simply go to your local municipal office and obtain a Marriage License.  It is valid for 90 days.  Then contact an Officiant [your municipal clerk probably has a list of Registered Officiants] to set up an appointment for a quick ceremony that covers only the legal requirements.  The Officiant is obligated to register the marriage.  I always refer to this as the 'registration date', and the date of your destination wedding becomes your wedding/anniversary date.

If the Officiant has issues with doing a quick, no frills type of ceremony, look for a different Officiant.

By having the legals registered before your destination wedding you know that you are fully protected as a married couple under Canadian law.  You also save on the cost of translation of documents, time spent on waiting for your certificate from a foreign country and in some cases, not having the foreign certificate accepted as proof of marriage

Misha2014     No, you may not take an Ontario Marriage License to a foreign destination and have it signed at that location.  The License must include the name, address and Ontario Registration number of the Officiant

• Like 2

If I want to change my last name do I have to change it on my passport first or through Service Ontario?  Also, how long does that process take?

I want to change my last name and we're planning to do our legal wedding about 7 weeks before our symbolic Cuban wedding.  Is that enough time to change the name on all of my documentation?

• 4 months later...

If I want to change my last name do I have to change it on my passport first or through Service Ontario?  Also, how long does that process take?

I want to change my last name and we're planning to do our legal wedding about 7 weeks before our symbolic Cuban wedding.  Is that enough time to change the name on all of my documentation?

I was told to leave your passport/ID until after you are done travelling (wedding, honeymoon, etc.) As long as those 2 match noone will question you. Now that being said, I can't remember what my friend said with respect to applying for the certificate/name change - if you should wait to do that until after as well, or if it didn't matter.  Will ask her today.  

So I asked again, lol...

You need a marriage license no earlier than 90 days before the wedding (whether in Canada or Mexico).

After that you can apply for your marriage certificate, which is what you use to change your name, etc.

I would suggest NOT changing your name on anything until after you get home incase you don't get it in time, etc.  If your ID/passport have the same name on them, noone will question if you just recently married in Canada before going abroad.  You use that certificate after to go to all your places (bank, gov't, etc.) to change your name.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...