sentimental or practical gifts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrs*j*2011

mrs*j*2011
  • Banned
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I'm having a hard time coming up with the direction to take gifts for our wedding guests. We are only having 8 people and they are all essentially family so we want to do something really nice for them.

FI and I are both on the same page as far as going with tangible gifts. We don't want to do massages or private dinner on the beach or anything like that. My immediate thought is to go the sentimental route but FI wants to give practical/useful gifts, like stuff you'd give as a Christmas gift.

I'm torn because I think it's strange to give your parents a plasma TV as a "thank you for attending my wedding in Jamaica" present. But if it's something they'll use, it makes rational and financial sense.

We'll probably end up doing two totally different things for each side of the family. I'm just wondering what my fellow BDW's think?
    ~~ Lea ~~
    January 2, 2011 ~ Sandals Royal Caribbean
    (honeymooning at Couples Negril)

http://dwdf.daisypath.com/xRI3m4.png

#2 hockeymom97

hockeymom97
    • 2,458 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

I would probably do something a little more practical, but maybe include a handwritten heartfelt note, or engrave the gift if that's an option? If you get something practical, they will think of you every time they use it and will remember what an awesome time they had at your wedding!! and the note or engraving can still express something emotional at the same time. If you go the sentimental route, I'm sure they will appreciate the gift, but chances are it will end up tucked away in a drawer or closet later on
      Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

#3 sebitasalejo

sebitasalejo
      • 221 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

I do agree!! Engraved iPads!!!!
        [SIGPIC]

#4 hockeymom97

hockeymom97
        • 2,458 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by sebitasalejo
          I do agree!! Engraved iPads!!!!
          ooooh!! I want to be in that wedding!! LOL
          Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

#5 jennifersyble

jennifersyble
          • 166 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

what a great idea!

#6 LAtravelgirl

LAtravelgirl
            • 163 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Are there any general rules for parent's gifts? Should the bride's parents get the same as the groom's?

#7 agm04

agm04
              • 548 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

I'm wondering about this too.  I'm planning to get my parents and his mom embroidered hankys, but I have no idea what to do for his dad.  hanky seems weird - like i know my dad will both use it and love it because he's a softie and we're really close, but for his dad...weird.  we're giving both sets of parents a large canvas and/or nice photo album of wedding pictures later, but want to do something small on the day of.

#8 Speckles121

Speckles121
                • 720 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by agm04 

I'm wondering about this too.  I'm planning to get my parents and his mom embroidered hankys, but I have no idea what to do for his dad.  hanky seems weird - like i know my dad will both use it and love it because he's a softie and we're really close, but for his dad...weird.  we're giving both sets of parents a large canvas and/or nice photo album of wedding pictures later, but want to do something small on the day of.

I got my stepdad a custom pocketknife! He's definately not a hanky guy either :)

#9 agm04

agm04
                  • 548 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Perhaps I will just leave the gift for his dad up to him!  Haha.  Thanks Speckles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users