RIU Ocho Rios LONG Review -May 6th, 2010

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Marie for answering my question about the Ipod. It's been something we have been considering and I just wanted to know what I was getting into.

I also appreciate the advice about not worrying. I keep telling myself that. A lot of past brides share some good advice from lessons learned on this forum and I find myself trying to take notes on all of them.. how crazy is that... I'm actually trying to plan for EVERYTHING that could go wrong.. how silly.. so I'm trying to chill and found your advice helpful. (your review too!)

You're right, you plan this wedding for so long that I'm not sure what I'll do with my time when this is all done. LOL

Marie, this was the best review ever!! Our daughter Stacey is getting married there July 10th. Your review made the decision for us NOT to buy a cake. Also we are picking Mamme Bay. Tell me more about your reception near the sea grape. We plan to rent equipment to play CD's & of course the speakers.

Thanks for all your help,

Ana (NJ)

Ana, GOOD choice move about the cake! If you click that link inlcluded on my review, I think you ll see a pic of the cake, it was tidy, well put together, looked super cute. And was free. I wish I could upload my pics here lol..just cant....but they re all on the facebook group for RIU Ocho Rios. I think 10-12 people had a little piece.....tops.....But it was certainly big enough to feed out group of 38...DEF WOULD NOT BUY a cake, unless it was something of complete importance to the bride......and to be honest, the grooms father ended putting the cake in the grooms face later that night........thats a whole other story........lol.......

I loved the beach reception. We went down to the water and got pics too. Something so cool about it, beingon he beach with your own bar. So unless you state other wise, the only chairs they ive you are the blue lounging beach chairs. Unless of course you book to have a private dinner/reception on the beach.....then they leave all your tables n chairs set up. But as mentioned we ate at Mammee Bay...I realized this once I got down there and saw it set up one night. I never ever came across that on this forum before. I just assumed they d give you tables n chairs/?? So durin g my meeting I insisted we get to use the same white chairs we used for our ceremony (white folding ones) Chandlyn said no problem. Without even asking, she got a few of those small white beach stools/little tables, covered them in awhite cloth, and laidout my decor..little beach lanterns n candles...and put the white chairs in a semi circle......If I had my time back, I prob would hav moved the chairs closer together, cause the group was spread across, but tha was no big deal........thinking back, I could have made an actual circle even..or something different, but anywho, no bigge.....we had the cake moved down on a table also and put in the midde, and had the whole beach to dance on!

Im really not sure about the system to rent for cd's. We had our ipod..and we ran into trouble with the system we rented, chandlynn says that was bizarre..she didnt understand why.....and as mentioned, she immediately found something else that worked for us. I would imagine they have a lot of stuff on site..and prob just say its rented...they do a lot of entertaining of their own at he resort.....always at it at something on the beach, the pool, plus the nightly entertainment.....I would email her, tell her you 'll be bringing an ipod and cd's, ask if theres equipemnt you can rent to support both (or whatever) and ask what the cost would be. Easy. They'll set that up then just in under the sea grape to the side.........we only had the bar tender for 2 hours, but we were allowed to keep the system for as long as we wanted, .....someone was keepin an eye for when we left to take it and lock it up safely. I would def suggest renting some type of system that has loud volume, &/or speakers.....the nightly entertainment lasts til 11 and is directly above yo....super loud.......I dont know how anyone manages with just an ipod docking station, we certainly couldnt.

I keep trying to post pics...but after reviewing the thread about posting pics, Ive decided to go ahead and join photobucket..Ill post the link when I get all my wedding photos uploaded......I plan to do a wedding album, Jamaica album, along with pics from my shower and stagette.....

Wow! what a great review! Its okay about the typos. I knew what you were talking about. I think that is the funniest thing that your mother brought down febreeze and lysol! LOL!!! thank you so much for posting this review. it is awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marie,

My daughter gets married in a week and no emails AT ALL from Chandlyn. We have 8 questions that we have emailed since June 3rd-no reply. I'm going to ask you one and hope you can help us out.

1) Is there a pressing service for her gown & the guys outfits inside the RIU?

Thanks again,

Ana