Did you use an Ipod instead of a DJ? Please help : )

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the process of downloading our music and yes, we will be using an iPod. I'm going to buy a small speaker system for use during the ceremony ... and we will use the resorts speaker system during the reception. I am going to havey 22 year old cousin run the ceremony music and decide on who to ask for the reception music once we have a complete guest list. I'm also going to back-up all our playlists on CD and likely bring my laptop so the playlists can be played from the laptop instead of fishing through smaller screen on the iPod.

Hmm, okay, so maybe I should bring my laptop too....

Thanks for all the helpful expert advice--we really appreciate it.

Its always the same story....worry about something and then come over here and ask you nice ladies and then feel better : ) Its just that easy!

Hope I can help you all with something in the future!

I used an i-pod for our reception and it was pretty easy. We only had 22 people total. We didn't really need announcements since it was such a small wedding. Someone just spoke up - me, my hubbie, my friend, whoever - to announce the cake, bridal toss, etc. We aren't too formal though.

On the i-pod i set up different playlists. One for first dance (of course there was only one song on there), one for cake-cutting, one for dinner music, one for parent dance, one for garter toss, one for bouquet toss and then one that was dance music. I showed my brother which playlist to play when and we just kind of went with it. Whoever wanted to, would change the music (I even did some of it).

A couple of tips though:

1. Make sure your ipod isn't on random. For playlists with more than one song, it will screw up the order you want it to go. I learned that at the reception and then had to remember how to get my ipod off random after several drinks. Learn from my mistake :o)

2. Be careful with the docking systems. What sounds loud at your house/backyard can actually be really quiet by the ocean! We bought one - by logitech - and it was fine for background dinner music, but not loud enough down there for dancing. Luckily, our WC at Dreams found us a speaker that we could hook it up to at the last minute for $100 for the whole night. One speaker was sufficient for a small group and provided loud enough music to really dance and party. We didn't need a mic.

Hi Heather!

We have booked a band an will mostlikely burn CD- mixes (hopefully from a DJ friend) to play during the down time.

I don't trust the IPOD, mainly since I'm not too familiar with it and I think Kash says her's died or something (luckily she hired a dj to play the IPOD and he was able to cover!)

But read a ton of reviews from brides who have used IPod's and they've all had great reviews.

try searching through the forum.. there are a ton of threads which answer your question (I think its a main concern for a ton of brides :) )

Here's an example... http://bestdestinationwedding.com/fo...-question.html

Here's a list I made from my collection of what I consider the ultimate wedding reception songs. Just for ideas. My experience has been, don't forget the classics. That's what will get everybody on the dance floor. Once you got them there, you can hit them with the "Sexyback".

Ring my bellAnita Ward

Le FreakChic

Brick HouseCommodores

Word UpCameo

Woo HooThe 5 6 7 8s

You Shook Me All Night LongAC/DC

We are familySister Sledge

Stevie Wonder - Superstitious

Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Rae & Christian Remix)Dinah Washington

Dancing in the street - Martha & The Vandellas

70's Pure Disco - Funkytown.mp

Hey YaOutkast

BodyrockMoby

I feel goodJames Brown

You Sexy ThingHot Choclate

CongaGloria Estefan

Funk #49James Gang

Rebel rebelDavid Bowie

Beatles-Obla-di Obli-daBeatles

Magic Carpet RideCrystal Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly76 View Post
we bought our own docking station because it was going to be $130 per hour to rent dreams and use our own ipod.

here is the link for the one we bought, we got it off of ebay. a couple of other girls have used the same one, I like that it gets really loud and still sounds good.

this ebay seller has a "best offer feature" so I started off offering I think $90and we negotiated from there, I ended up paying $105 plus shipping.

And I got it within 2 days I think, it was super fast.

NEW* Altec Lansing iM7 Portable iPod Speaker Dock - (item 220126077767 end time Jul-08-07 01:11:22 PDT)
We bought from the same guy, very nice guy but being in Canada, it took over 2 weeks to arrive and "mental note for Canadian women"..We were charged taxes and fees extra and it was held up at customs..but, the docking station is awesome with a great sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharke View Post
Here's a list I made from my collection of what I consider the ultimate wedding reception songs. Just for ideas. My experience has been, don't forget the classics. That's what will get everybody on the dance floor. Once you got them there, you can hit them with the "Sexyback".

Ring my bellAnita Ward
Le FreakChic
Brick HouseCommodores
Word UpCameo
Woo HooThe 5 6 7 8s
You Shook Me All Night LongAC/DC
We are familySister Sledge
Stevie Wonder - Superstitious
Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby (Rae & Christian Remix)Dinah Washington
Dancing in the street - Martha & The Vandellas
70's Pure Disco - Funkytown.mp
Hey YaOutkast
BodyrockMoby
I feel goodJames Brown
You Sexy ThingHot Choclate
CongaGloria Estefan
Funk #49James Gang
Rebel rebelDavid Bowie
Beatles-Obla-di Obli-daBeatles
Magic Carpet RideCrystal Method
Yes, definitely gotta have the classics! Thanks!!!

oh, one more quick note about the docking station we bought.

We just got back from the outerbanks today, the house we stayed in was a stones throw from the beach, so needless to say between the wind(very windy) and the roar of the ocean it was VERY loud outside. We brought our docking station and used it all week at the pool on the deck, etc.... and had no problems at all hearing it, it was very loud and would have gone louder if we wanted it to. It was loud enough in fact that our neighbors were dancing to OUR music on their deck, all week I thought they had their own music playing until they asked us if that was our house sound system playing the music.

So make sure which ever docking station you buy that it gets really loud, lol!