Newbie - Gran Porto Real Bride

Meghan18

Originally Posted by TA Wendy View Post

Hi Primavera, I happen to be at the Royal right now,just across the street from the Gran Porto... we had dinner over there last night and watched the great show they had on the stage overlooking the pool. Lots of people in the pool and watching while having a swim...very fun! There was also a little crafts fair going on with fun stuff to look at.

If there is anything you would like to see photographed at the Gran Porto just shoot me an email at wendy@wrighttravelagency.com and I will be happy to try and get a photo for you!

Regards,

TA Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I sent you an email on your other email address yesterday as a reply to the one you sent me, hope you got it. I will send one to this email address too. :) Thanks! Hanna

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Meghan!  We are getting married at the Gran Porto Real in just 54 days!!!!  October 23, 2010.  We are in the final stages of picking our a-la-carte items and getting the final details squared away!  I'd love to help with any tips and can give you some feedback when we get back! :)

We'll be at the Gran Porto for 5 days and then The Royal for our honeymoon for 5 days.... SUPER EXCITED!

• 2 months later...

hi jenny! i'm glad to hear that you visited the resort, and, presumably since you are still a "gpr bride", liked it! did you meet with the wedding coordinators there?  how were they? we are getting married 2 weeks before you (april 11)... i haven't visited the resort and have very little contact with the offiste coordinator, so just poking around to see if you learned anything on your visit that you think i should know!

hi kj1606!

Yes, i found the gran porto real super cute. unlike other larger resorts, it felt intimate and laid-back with a bit of that mexican charm. And because there are about 50-60 people staying at the resort, we're definitely going to feel like we've "taken-over" the resort! ...not fun for the other folks, but awesome for our week-long party!!!  Oh! And the rooms are really nice too. They look like they have been recently updated...we happily upgraded to their beachfront master suite...gorgeous!

I have to admit that I was in awe of the Royal though. After we checked out our resort, we decided to take a walk through the Royal...omg it's gorgeous! They even have pilates and spin classes as part of their resort package...very luxurious! We even checked out their presidential suite...it has its only private, rooftop swimming pool along with its own pool bar and more ...so I did hesitate in thinking that we might have picked the wrong resort. But I quickly realized that it didn't have the three most important elements I wanted for ourselves and our guests...intimate/child-friendly/affordable...we are thinking of having our honeymoon there though!

Have you had a chance to speak with your wedding coordinator? I'm working with Maritza Guzman and she has been very helpful. I actually just got off the phone with her. It might be a good idea to connect with your coordinator...although you do have lots of time. Maritza told me that I won't have to make any final decisions until 45 days before my wedding date!

Oh one thing I would recommend is to check out their photography to see if that's the kind of photographs you want. While we were down there, we checked out their portfolio and decided to go with an outside vendor...but that's only because we have a particular style in photography we like.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions because I would be more than happy to answer them!

Happy planning =)

To all gran porto/royal brides!

I was wondering what you girls have planned after the dinner reception. Knowing our friends and family, they will not be ready to pack it in at 10:30pm when our dinner reception is over. I've heard of some brides who have continued the party at the resort disco or something like that but the Gran Porto and the Royal do not have a disco onsite. Any thoughts??

Thanks a bunch!

Great - thanks for the synopsis! I have heard great things about the royal, but we went with the gran porto for the same reasons as you guys. We did give our guests the option to stay at either and so far all have booked at the gran porto, so I think they really appreciate the cost break. Your description sounds wonderful though - I'm glad it's so small! I'm interested in answers to your question about after the reception. Our cocktail hour and reception will end at 11:30 pm and I know people will want to carry on... So many of our guests are terrified of Mexico, or else we would probably just wander out the front door of the resort and go out in PDC...

Hi all,

TA Wendy here... I am going down to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen this next week, Dec 1-5 to attend a site event geared just to agents like me who do Destination Wedding Travel. I will be visiting with the wedding planners at the Royal Cancun, Gran Caribe, Royal Playa Del Carmen and Gran Porto.

If there is anything I can ask or if anyone would like to give me a mission to investigate an aspect of any of the 4 Real Resorts properties, just let me know and I would be happy to do that for you.

When I return I will have lots of up to the minute information on all 4 resorts! I love working with the Royal Playa Del Carmen, it is one of my favorite properties, and I think the Gran Porto is just a fantastic gem of a place. I am looking forward to meeting with and working more closely with the Wedding Coordinators of all of the properties.

TA Wendy

hi wendy! one thing i am very interested in finding out about the gran porto real is whether or not there is an option for us for a "rehearsal dinner" of sorts.  we have too many people (greater than 30) to do a semi-private dinner on the pool terrace or elsewhere, and we don't want to do a private event on the beach because that is what we are doing for our actual reception.  additionally, many of our guests are terrified of all of the negative media attention that mexico is getting and i am not sure they'd be comfortable leaving the resort to do a dinner in playa del carmen.

that is the only thing that i have not been able to figure out yet.  if you find anything out, i'd love to know all about it!

have a great trip and thanks for the offer!!