Just saw this article on CNN = Travel Alert For Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#11 Helen G Events

Helen G Events
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

The violence is really centralized in one area with flare ups in certain known trouble spots in certain areas islandwide and there are ways to get around these.

Today is a public holiday so when school and work starts tomorrow we will see what happens.

But for now the police are remaining vigilant and the army has been called in, based on news reports on negotiations taking place we hope it will be over soon.

But all in all most Jamaicans are ok and the situation seems that it will not be prolonged.

Have a great day everyone.

#12 Josie1073

Josie1073
    • Banned
    • 103 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

I am more worried about the BP oil spill reaching the Caribbean...

#13 jenninjamaica

jenninjamaica
      • 547 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

My BM just texted me about this. We leave this Saturday for Negril, via Montego Bay. Hopefully are plans are not interrupted!!! Kingston is pretty far away, so I'm not too worried, but we'll have to keep an eye on it!!
        *~*JENN*~*

#14 beachymombride

beachymombride
        • 38 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by jenninjamaica
          My BM just texted me about this. We leave this Saturday for Negril, via Montego Bay. Hopefully are plans are not interrupted!!! Kingston is pretty far away, so I'm not too worried, but we'll have to keep an eye on it!!
          Hi Jenn:

I am keeping all the brides getting married in the next weeks in positive thoughts! Good luck! We are flying out on Wednesday, June 2nd.

#15 JenniferNicole

JenniferNicole
          • 234 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

I leave for Jamaica on wednesday.. we are staying in Ocho Rios which is pretty far away from Kingston. I am keeping my fingers crossed that our plans won't be interrupted!!

#16 Sapphire723

Sapphire723
            • 888 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

I just returned from MoBay on Saturday, and we ran into no problems, but we were pretty far from Kingston. It's such a shame that there could be bigger problems brewing, because Jamaica was such an amazing visit!

#17 Mischaka

Mischaka
              • 969 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

it's funny...a co-worker was just telling me a story about her cousin's father..and this is about him. wow!! who ever is going in the area please be careful!!

#18 sweetiecat

sweetiecat
                • 186 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

You can register with the US embassy at Travel. They say to do this to let them know where you will be located just in case there are problems in your area so they can help to evacuate you - this is also a good idea if you are traveling during hurricane season.

#19 Pandabride6

Pandabride6
                  • 95 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
                    I am more worried about the BP oil spill reaching the Caribbean...
                    I wouldn't worry about that. If anything, the spill is said to be heading into a loop current which will bring it to the top of Cuba and around to the east coast of the US. And even THAT, experts say can help break up the oil.

I live on Florida's east coast and work in TV news so we've been covering this story heavily since it broke. The meteorologists I work with all have a pretty clear idea where the oil's headed. So East Coast FL should worry, not so much the Carribean.
                    Can't wait to honor our family roots... and establish new ones... Montego Bay, Jamaica, June 5, 2010

The view overlooking Kingston... January 2009. One Love!!

#20 hiccups

hiccups
                    • 224 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

I just got back from Jamaica last night. I was there from May 20 to May 24. Flew into Montego Bay then took the bus to Ocho Rios with no problems at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users