Newly Engaged...Not Sure How To Start

maddchemist

Hello,

I think I may be the only guy on this site so please be gentle. I just proposed to my girl now fiance on Monday in St Lucia. On a private beach (Cap Maison Hotel from the Bachelor), hired a steel pan player, timed it to sunset. I can never duplicate anything like that again...or can I.

We want to do a destination wedding April 2011. Not sure where but in the Caribbean or Central America. Need ideas on how to start the process of selecting a place. I guess I will post something more formal elsewhere (huh.gif) but I want to send a proposal to a bunch of TA's and see who best meets our requirements.

MaddChemist

Hello, congratulations and welcome, EVERYONE here are so helpful and friendly, Im sure any questions you have or advice you need will be fully answered before you know it!!!!

Sounds like such a romantic proposal, i bet you blew your girl (sorry fiance) away :-)

Happy Planning x

Hi MadChemist!! Welcome to the forum. You are in a minority but there are a few guys here. There are TA's on the forum (see the banner at the top) and they specialize in DW. They know the ins/outs of DW planning. That's my first piece of advice. Second, set down with your fiancee and make a list of whats most important in a location for you. Finally check out the wedding review section where you can see past brides (and a few grooms) review of their wedding including site.

Good luck and contrats on the engagement!

Welcome, fellow Torontonian! This forum has been invaluable for me in terms of researching potential destinations. There's a category where brides (and grooms) post reviews of their weddings and I looked at that category a lot when narrowing down the options. Of course, everyone's requirements are different (Are there children coming to your wedding? Do you definitely want all-inclusive?) but you will find people on this site whose ideas mesh with your own.

Good luck and happy planning!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your romantic engagement! We really determined what type of weather we wanted (Canada vs Caribbean), then we decided all inclusive vs not, then just started looking at each resort that met those requirements. We also met with our TA and had her break down some of the resorts for us.

Congratulations and Welcome! I'm sure your finance was flabergasted by your proposal, sounds like it was priceless! Glad to see you're on here, I wish my FI signed up and wanted to get movin on the planning as much as I did. For me, to pick my location was easier because I've travelled to all inclusives in Mexico, Cuba and Dominican Republic. But keep in mind that its your wedding, don't try to accomodate people you think will be coming because not everyone will. Think about what you want at your Destination and I think you'll be able to narrow it down quite quickly! Once you've picked a country or even a city to land in email the wedding coordinators to find out the packages they have to offer. Happy Planning!!

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on your engagement. It sounds like it was so romantic!! I watched the Bachelor so I know exactly what spot you're talking about. It's awesome to see a guy on here too!! Thumbs up!!

I think emailing a ton of TAs is the way to go. This way you can negotiate prices 'til you get the best price. Think of it just like you would if you were to buy a car. Every price is negotiable and they all want your business. From what I've read, you are best to narrow your choices down to your top 3 then start negotiating from there. Good luck..and let us know how it goes. :)