Photo

Tipping Photographers/Videographers/etc.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MDLady

MDLady
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Does anyone know if we are supposed to add tips for package services that are not arranged through the hotel? In our case, we arranged for our own photographer and videographer but I am not sure if we should add tips to their package prices. They are already not cheap but I also don't want to stiff them when it's customary. What do you ladies think

#2 KJ Shea

KJ Shea
    • 110 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

That is a really good question. They certainly are not cheap at all and most of them work for themselves,

#3 DWbridetobe

DWbridetobe
      • 914 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

I am a firm believer in tipping for good service(s) rendered. If they make your day even a bit less stressful, or provide something to you beyond their customary charges, I say tip them.

I'm having the same issue, since most of our arrangements have been made through the resort. I'd be interested in hearing what other brides have to say.

#4 SouthernSweetie

SouthernSweetie
        • 394 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

I'm all ears...

#5 MDLady

MDLady
          • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

I asked the resort planner and she said that if you are happy with the service, a 15% tip is typical but of course it's up to us if we would like to do so. I am usually an above-average tipper for regular services, whether it's at a restaurant or a taxi. But here, on a $2,000 package, 15% = $300 just for the tip!!! That's a little steep so maybe we will just do $150 or so instead.. I've never given a $300 tip in my life :) And here it would have to be multiple vendors!

#6 finleys7

finleys7
            • 703 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

We tipped out to everyone. I had everything in envelopes, labeled so we could hand out at the end of the night. The florist was the only before wedding payment. I designated my father as the money holder/tipper but my husband ended up tipping =)

The DJ, photographer, assistant, videographer, wedding coordinator, bartenders, cigar roller, waiters, trolley drivers...everyone got tipped =)
              Shannon

YEAH---We Did It! **May 1st, 2010**
              Our Wedding SlideShowMy Wedding Review - Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-58966/My Planning Threadhttp://bestdestinati...ding.com/fo....

#7 MDLady

MDLady
              • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by finleys7
                We tipped out to everyone. I had everything in envelopes, labeled so we could hand out at the end of the night. The florist was the only before wedding payment. I designated my father as the money holder/tipper but my husband ended up tipping =)

The DJ, photographer, assistant, videographer, wedding coordinator, bartenders, cigar roller, waiters, trolley drivers...everyone got tipped =)
                If you don't mind me asking, what % did you use for the tip?

#8 finleys7

finleys7
                • 703 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

It varied between 10-25%. But it was hard to tell for bartenders and such, so I gave them $40 each.
                  Shannon

YEAH---We Did It! **May 1st, 2010**
                  Our Wedding SlideShowMy Wedding Review - Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-58966/My Planning Threadhttp://bestdestinati...ding.com/fo....

#9 MDLady

MDLady
                  • 433 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Luckily our resort includes a 19% tip for all staff so we don't have to worry about that, it's already done. I just wasn't sure what the custom was for other vendors. Thanks ladies :)

#10 blckrevpower

blckrevpower
                    • 572 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

guess we'll have to put that in the budget. . . these numbers keep adding up!
                      The FI and I are both in the serving industry and are firm believers in tipping- generously.
                      I would say if you are going to do it, stay between 15 and 20%, below that I believe would look cheap. . . even though you are paying a nice fee for the services. . .
                      "Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!" --Homer Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users