Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sjmacphe

Trash the Dress - How does Natural Silk fare??

Recommended Posts

Hi Ladies

 

Sorry if this has already been asked. I'm debating whether or not I should trash my dress - my concern is that it may be permanently ruined if I do because it is natural (raw) silk...Has anyone done this before with their raw silk dress, how did it look afterwards? Thanks ladies :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious about this as well as I was just trying on some dresses yesterday that were raw silk and the sales lady warned me that raw silk and water do not mix! She said a trash the dress in a silk dress is literally a trash the dress, unlike other dresses which easily survive. I was wondering if maybe she was being a bit dramatic about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're really concerned (and I would be, honestly, I can't imagine salt water would be good for silk) you could always get one of those cheap CHinese knockoffs that looks like your dress to trash instead. I got one from dressilyme, and it's actually very nice, especially for $100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlrsChick View Post
If you're really concerned (and I would be, honestly, I can't imagine salt water would be good for silk) you could always get one of those cheap CHinese knockoffs that looks like your dress to trash instead. I got one from dressilyme, and it's actually very nice, especially for $100.
I was told not to get my raw silk dress wet as well. Someone told me that it can lose the shine of the silk and can damage the material. Also, I was told to be very careful as to who you let clean it after your wedding. Make sure you go to a cleaner that specializes in Wedding Gowns and special fabrics.
I too wanted to do a trash the dress, so I will look for something less expensive than ruining a $2000 dress, my heart would be broken if my dress got ruined, not to mention I don't want to travel home with a wet dress or a dress that smells like the ocean or a pool :).
Yes!!! I would get a knock-off for sure, the cost of the knock off will be far less than a cleaners bill, plus would could be a material that is OK to get wet and dry cleaned. Then you could actually wash it before you left your resort either yourself or have your resorts cleaner service assist you with it :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmacphe View Post
Hi Ladies

Sorry if this has already been asked. I'm debating whether or not I should trash my dress - my concern is that it may be permanently ruined if I do because it is natural (raw) silk...Has anyone done this before with their raw silk dress, how did it look afterwards? Thanks ladies :)
2 weeks to go!!! you must be getting sooo excited!!! Probably not enough time to get a knock-off sad.gif. Good Luck with your decision, and keep us posted on your decision :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyqt View Post
2 weeks to go!!! you must be getting sooo excited!!! Probably not enough time to get a knock-off sad.gif. Good Luck with your decision, and keep us posted on your decision :)
Hi Roxy,
I think we both are Paloma brides right? Yah...I got my dress (with final alterations, if I have a minute I'll try to get a pic of me in it!) - and I was thinking how pretty it would look in TTD pics. But....I couldn't really justify getting a knock off dress for no reason other than to trash it. I have a cute little linen sun dress I might wear but I know it won't give the same effect - it will look more like an engagement photo shoot - still might be fun. I might do an after wedding session where I don't "trash" my dress (we'll see...). I don't think I should risk forever ruining the fabric though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmacphe View Post
Hi Roxy,
I think we both are Paloma brides right? Yah...I got my dress (with final alterations, if I have a minute I'll try to get a pic of me in it!) - and I was thinking how pretty it would look in TTD pics. But....I couldn't really justify getting a knock off dress for no reason other than to trash it. I have a cute little linen sun dress I might wear but I know it won't give the same effect - it will look more like an engagement photo shoot - still might be fun. I might do an after wedding session where I don't "trash" my dress (we'll see...). I don't think I should risk forever ruining the fabric though...
Yes we are Paloma Brides :)!!!! Yeah!! Congrats on your fitting!!! I loved the dress that you picked out! I know how you feel, I too think the pictures will be amazing, to me it more or less depends on what you are planning to do with the dress after your wedding. Have you tried calling a few Dry Cleaners and asking them about the Dress fabric and if it is something they could treat?
Maybe you can get some fun fabric, tulle and make a fun train on your linen dress to add a touch of drama :) to the dress. It could be fun if you use different colors or textured fabric... just a idea :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlrsChick View Post
If you're really concerned (and I would be, honestly, I can't imagine salt water would be good for silk) you could always get one of those cheap CHinese knockoffs that looks like your dress to trash instead. I got one from dressilyme, and it's actually very nice, especially for $100.
Thanks for the website tip. I just checked it out and saw they have over 1000 dresses! I am glad to know yours looks good b/c the price is right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • My wedding date is set for the next month but not found any wedding planner finally got one wedding planner. its very very help for my wedding arrangement thank you indian wedding company
    • What color is your wedding? You can go with warm autumn-inspired colors such as burnt oranges, dark reds, burgundy, bright yellows, like fall foliage   https://printsbery.com/invitations/wedding/burgundy   What planning have you guys done?  
    • We booked our wedding for April 2021 but the venue let us know at this time they are still implementing Covid measures so we should not have more than 50 guests, etc. We also made sure the contract had an "out" clause that would let us get a refund should the pandemic blow up again, or have the ability to reschedule without penalty.
    • I am having my wedding scheduled in November 2020. I am too much worried about how all the things will be managed in this pandemic situation. About everything like the guest list, preparations, my attire and all. The only thing I am relaxed is about finances. In Feb only me and my fiancé applied for the wedding loans. We have applied early because both of us are having bad credit we had a doubt that it will be approved or not. But our wedding loans with bad credit were timely approved and we have planned accordingly but now this pandemic has spoiled all our preparations. We are trying to be positive and trying to celebrate our new beginnings.
    • Welcome. I am a past Dreams Los Cabos bride. Please let us know if we can assist in any way. We have some great promotions (bride and groom fly free, comped rooms and upgrades).    info@wrighttravelagency.com
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...