El Dorado Royale (EDR) Brides - POST HERE!

Originally Posted by mstigger View Post

Soooooo, according to the weather it is going to be nice every day we are there EXCEPT for our wedding day......of course. And I don't mean I'm freaking out over a 20% chance of rain.......I am talking a 60% chance ALL DAY!!!!

Geez.......not good, not good at all thatswck.gifcrybaby2.gifhissyfit.gifsmile105.gif

it's too early to worry...the weather can change so quickly and it seems like the weathermen are wrong 50% of the time bride.gif

Gail - Tammy & Nikki are right. Even at 10 days out the weather is going to change. Don't sweat it!!! 

The onsite WC will give you a back up indoor ceremony location - likely the chapel or the salon/ballroom. They will call you about noon on your wedding day to confirm the location - indoors or out. So you have up until that point to hope for good weather. 

Soooooo, according to the weather it is going to be nice every day we are there EXCEPT for our wedding day......of course. And I don't mean I'm freaking out over a 20% chance of rain.......I am talking a 60% chance ALL DAY!!!!

Geez.......not good, not good at all thatswck.gifcrybaby2.gifhissyfit.gifsmile105.gif

Gail - Tammy & Nikki are right. Even at 10 days out the weather is going to change. Don't sweat it!!! 

The onsite WC will give you a back up indoor ceremony location - likely the chapel or the salon/ballroom. They will call you about noon on your wedding day to confirm the location - indoors or out. So you have up until that point to hope for good weather. 

Hi ladies,

It's been a while since I've really wrote anything on this thread but I have been peeking in and seeing everyone's post, which have been REALLY HELPFUL since I have never been to EDR. I must say I have shared many frusterations as you all and there are things EDR does that drives me up the wall especially since I have worked at resorts the past 10 years planning corporate events & meetings. This site is where I found EDR and Gazebo 55 location.

So I head to EDR next Wednesday and my wedding is on Sunday 4/28.  I finally finalized all my wedding details last week, I know last minute, but I've been pretty busy at work, so honestly when I come home "planning" a wedding wasn't the first thing I wanted to do.

I have some questions for the ladies who have been to EDR already. I hope you can help me put my mind to ease so I can sleep at night.

Gazebo 55 - How soon did you have your wedding before the scheduled sunset (ie 2 hrs) and did you end up having shadows in your pictures on your faces?  Since the sun sets behind the buildings (not on the beach side) I'm worried either the sun will be beaming in my eyes and I will be squinting or I might have a half shadow face.  Would it be better to stand under the Gazebo portion or worse?  Will our guests be in the shade/shadow too?  My wedding is scheduled at 5:00pm and sunset is 7:11pm, is that a good time? I thought about pushing it back to 5:30pm as it will be a little bit cooler too but don't want it to be dark.Our Cocktail reception will be at the same location afterwards and then we head to Tucanes for our sit down dinner at 7:00pm.

I'm trying to find some chinese fans for the wedding ceremony. Does the WC place these out for you and do they charge for you just this one little thing?  Or should I ask a friend to do it? 

Ceremony Songs - Is one song long enough to have the two couples walk down the aisle before the bride?  Both of our brothers and moms will be walking down the aisle before me and that's it.

Group Bars Onsite - Rather than paying for an additional money for a "meet & greet" reception, we thought we could just meet at one of the bars with everyone and have drinks together.  Then everyone can have dinner on their own at their choice of restuarant since they are paying money to utilize the restuarant.  Any bars you would suggest that would have a nice atmosphere and the ability to order appetizers if someone is hungry?  There will be about 37 of us, very informal and maybe on a flow basis. I would let the hotel know we are coming as s courtesy too. Also, would you suggest the meet & greet before dinner or after dinner.  Will it be hot at 5:00pm outside and are restaurant really busy around 7:00pm?

DJ - we are using Lomas Travel's Outdoor DJ and have put together our song list.  Have any of you used them before and were they able to fade out a song for you?  For example our intro song is a little long and perhaps all of our dance songs (bride/groom, father/daughter, mother/son) are a little long and may need to be shorten a little.

Arrival Process at EDR - Do they try to sell you on a time share?  Ask you to go on a tour for an hour one morning?  I would like to warn my guests about this, they did this to us at another all inclusive place in Playa.

Wait Staff Uniforms - Do most of them wear white shirts and khaki colored pants? I think I saw some pictures of them wearing these colors for private banquet events. We picked out some Tommy Bahama shirts in blue and green for the brothers and my dad to wear with khaki pants. I don't want them to look like the wait staff. LOL

Wedding Giveaways at Dinner - Are any of your ladies doing this? Any ideas that's simple and cheap?

Spa - I'm having my hair done at the Spa but on the fence about them doing my makeup.  I was thinking of just having a friend do it in our room so we are able to be together and take photos together.  Does the Spa do a good job on makeup or do they go overboard on colors and eye liners?

Photography - We are using an outside photographer and the hotel said they can only be onsite for 8 hrs. Our pkg includes 10 hrs, most likely we won't use the full 10.  I'm curious if they really "time them" when they are onsite. (ie the staff comes and tells them to leave at the 8 hr mark) Or do they just say this and since you have a private event you are paying for they don't really pay attention.

Thanks for your feedback ladies.  I'm trying not to freak out now...I go to see my seamtress tomorrow to get the bottom of my dress hemed, I still need to figure out my earrings and hair too.  My friends are doing a Bridal happy hour on Friday night for me.....on top of everything else my mother in law just got into town today who is staying with us.  Busy week....just taking one day at a time. :)

FYI I found out there is a Walmart within walking distance to 5th Avenue in Playa Del Carmen, so worst case if you need to pick up some things rather than carrying them, you have that option.  Also, there are a few printing places too if you need to make changes on welcome letters etc.. And they have tote bags and local food goodies/candy that you can use for your welcome bags too. I have a friend who lives in Playa, which she has help with a lot of questions.

~ Melanie

Hi ladies,

It's been a while since I've really wrote anything on this thread but I have been peeking in and seeing everyone's post, which have been REALLY HELPFUL since I have never been to EDR. I must say I have shared many frusterations as you all and there are things EDR does that drives me up the wall especially since I have worked at resorts the past 10 years planning corporate events & meetings. This site is where I found EDR and Gazebo 55 location.

So I head to EDR next Wednesday and my wedding is on Sunday 4/28.  I finally finalized all my wedding details last week, I know last minute, but I've been pretty busy at work, so honestly when I come home "planning" a wedding wasn't the first thing I wanted to do.

I have some questions for the ladies who have been to EDR already. I hope you can help me put my mind to ease so I can sleep at night.

Gazebo 55 - How soon did you have your wedding before the scheduled sunset (ie 2 hrs) and did you end up having shadows in your pictures on your faces?  Since the sun sets behind the buildings (not on the beach side) I'm worried either the sun will be beaming in my eyes and I will be squinting or I might have a half shadow face.  Would it be better to stand under the Gazebo portion or worse?  Will our guests be in the shade/shadow too?  My wedding is scheduled at 5:00pm and sunset is 7:11pm, is that a good time? I thought about pushing it back to 5:30pm as it will be a little bit cooler too but don't want it to be dark.Our Cocktail reception will be at the same location afterwards and then we head to Tucanes for our sit down dinner at 7:00pm.

I'm trying to find some chinese fans for the wedding ceremony. Does the WC place these out for you and do they charge for you just this one little thing?  Or should I ask a friend to do it? 

Ceremony Songs - Is one song long enough to have the two couples walk down the aisle before the bride?  Both of our brothers and moms will be walking down the aisle before me and that's it.

Group Bars Onsite - Rather than paying for an additional money for a "meet & greet" reception, we thought we could just meet at one of the bars with everyone and have drinks together.  Then everyone can have dinner on their own at their choice of restuarant since they are paying money to utilize the restuarant.  Any bars you would suggest that would have a nice atmosphere and the ability to order appetizers if someone is hungry?  There will be about 37 of us, very informal and maybe on a flow basis. I would let the hotel know we are coming as s courtesy too. Also, would you suggest the meet & greet before dinner or after dinner.  Will it be hot at 5:00pm outside and are restaurant really busy around 7:00pm?

DJ - we are using Lomas Travel's Outdoor DJ and have put together our song list.  Have any of you used them before and were they able to fade out a song for you?  For example our intro song is a little long and perhaps all of our dance songs (bride/groom, father/daughter, mother/son) are a little long and may need to be shorten a little.

Arrival Process at EDR - Do they try to sell you on a time share?  Ask you to go on a tour for an hour one morning?  I would like to warn my guests about this, they did this to us at another all inclusive place in Playa.

Wait Staff Uniforms - Do most of them wear white shirts and khaki colored pants? I think I saw some pictures of them wearing these colors for private banquet events. We picked out some Tommy Bahama shirts in blue and green for the brothers and my dad to wear with khaki pants. I don't want them to look like the wait staff. LOL

Wedding Giveaways at Dinner - Are any of your ladies doing this? Any ideas that's simple and cheap?

Spa - I'm having my hair done at the Spa but on the fence about them doing my makeup.  I was thinking of just having a friend do it in our room so we are able to be together and take photos together.  Does the Spa do a good job on makeup or do they go overboard on colors and eye liners?

Photography - We are using an outside photographer and the hotel said they can only be onsite for 8 hrs. Our pkg includes 10 hrs, most likely we won't use the full 10.  I'm curious if they really "time them" when they are onsite. (ie the staff comes and tells them to leave at the 8 hr mark) Or do they just say this and since you have a private event you are paying for they don't really pay attention.

Thanks for your feedback ladies.  I'm trying not to freak out now...I go to see my seamtress tomorrow to get the bottom of my dress hemed, I still need to figure out my earrings and hair too.  My friends are doing a Bridal happy hour on Friday night for me.....on top of everything else my mother in law just got into town today who is staying with us.  Busy week....just taking one day at a time. :)

FYI I found out there is a Walmart within walking distance to 5th Avenue in Playa Del Carmen, so worst case if you need to pick up some things rather than carrying them, you have that option.  Also, there are a few printing places too if you need to make changes on welcome letters etc.. And they have tote bags and local food goodies/candy that you can use for your welcome bags too. I have a friend who lives in Playa, which she has help with a lot of questions.

~ Melanie

Hi Melanie! 

Gazebo 55 & the sun: yup, expect it to be in YOUR eyes. My husband moved over a bit to block it for me during the ceremony. We were about 90 minutes before the sunset, and I was blinded by it. I don't think it'll make a lot of difference whether or not you're right under the gazebo either. I'd stick with your 5pm ceremony. I felt rushed doing pics before the sun went down with our timing. 

The fans - they will put those out on the chairs for you if you're already paying for them to do any set up (generally in the $5 per person set up fee). I'd just ask the onsite WC when you have your meeting with her (they may not charge you if you've already finalized everything...). I found that the onsite WCs were much more generous and cooperative than I expected based on my planning interactions with Lomas. 

You probably want 2 songs - one for the seating of the guests, and then one for the seating of the mothers. 

Meet & greet - meet at the beach bar. folks can then swing over to JoJo's or La Isla to get some food. Most of the bars do not have finger food though. The other option is the Martini bar, and folks can then go to D'Italia Villas or Cocotal (or JoJos or La Isla). The Martini bar has the nicer atmosphere IMO, but the Beach Bar screams more "beach" if you know what I mean. The restaurants usually get busy between 7-8pm. 

I think the outdoor DJ is DJ All Music, right? if so, that's who did ours. and they did all the fades, didn't let the song drag out once we came in, etc. Nothing to worry about with those guys! Just let them know you don't necessarily want the whole song played on those dances, or just tell the dancers to swing out of the dance and take a bow, and hope the DJ will follow that cue :)

You are offered the timeshare tour - but it's easy to say no. They are not supposed to be really pushy about it at all. Our concierge is the one who made this offer, not the folks at check in. They sort of mask it as a "tour of the Presidential Suite", just FYI. None of our guests said anything about it actually. 

Yes, the staff was in white shirts & khaki pants for our wedding. 

We didn't do any giveaways. that said - I did see quite a few neat things in the EDR gift shop that were reasonably priced. from tequila to coffee to carved stone. 

I didn't do my make up at the spa, so I don't have any wisdom for you there! They do have a number of books and such if you are still hunting for inspiration for your hair on the wedding day. 

With the hour thing - I don't know if they enforce it or not. I don't think they did for our friends who stayed at other resorts and came on for the few hours for the wedding. I wouldn't expect them to be pushy about it (or anything else really). 

Don't panic - it'll all come together just fine!!! You will have a beautiful dream wedding in paradise. 

Originally Posted by mlklee2013 View Post

Hi ladies,

~ Melanie

Hi Melanie! 

Gazebo 55 & the sun: yup, expect it to be in YOUR eyes. My husband moved over a bit to block it for me during the ceremony. We were about 90 minutes before the sunset, and I was blinded by it. I don't think it'll make a lot of difference whether or not you're right under the gazebo either. I'd stick with your 5pm ceremony. I felt rushed doing pics before the sun went down with our timing. 

The fans - they will put those out on the chairs for you if you're already paying for them to do any set up (generally in the $5 per person set up fee). I'd just ask the onsite WC when you have your meeting with her (they may not charge you if you've already finalized everything...). I found that the onsite WCs were much more generous and cooperative than I expected based on my planning interactions with Lomas. 

You probably want 2 songs - one for the seating of the guests, and then one for the seating of the mothers. 

Meet & greet - meet at the beach bar. folks can then swing over to JoJo's or La Isla to get some food. Most of the bars do not have finger food though. The other option is the Martini bar, and folks can then go to D'Italia Villas or Cocotal (or JoJos or La Isla). The Martini bar has the nicer atmosphere IMO, but the Beach Bar screams more "beach" if you know what I mean. The restaurants usually get busy between 7-8pm. 

I think the outdoor DJ is DJ All Music, right? if so, that's who did ours. and they did all the fades, didn't let the song drag out once we came in, etc. Nothing to worry about with those guys! Just let them know you don't necessarily want the whole song played on those dances, or just tell the dancers to swing out of the dance and take a bow, and hope the DJ will follow that cue :)

You are offered the timeshare tour - but it's easy to say no. They are not supposed to be really pushy about it at all. Our concierge is the one who made this offer, not the folks at check in. They sort of mask it as a "tour of the Presidential Suite", just FYI. None of our guests said anything about it actually. 

Yes, the staff was in white shirts & khaki pants for our wedding. 

We didn't do any giveaways. that said - I did see quite a few neat things in the EDR gift shop that were reasonably priced. from tequila to coffee to carved stone. 

I didn't do my make up at the spa, so I don't have any wisdom for you there! They do have a number of books and such if you are still hunting for inspiration for your hair on the wedding day. 

With the hour thing - I don't know if they enforce it or not. I don't think they did for our friends who stayed at other resorts and came on for the few hours for the wedding. I wouldn't expect them to be pushy about it (or anything else really). 

Don't panic - it'll all come together just fine!!! You will have a beautiful dream wedding in paradise. 

Originally Posted by mlklee2013 View Post

Hi ladies,

~ Melanie

I'm glad you had a good time!!! If you think recovery at 26 is rough...wait til 37. Oy! that's why I told my girls I wanted to be in bed by midnight the night before my wedding. luckily we were all yawning by 11:30....old, we're all old dang it! 

Originally Posted by LKocelko View Post

Welp, I had my bachelorette last night. I am still hurting - don't bounce back like I used to in college! 26 sure is different from 21. But it was so much fun, and I was smart enough to take off work tomorrow, so all is well :)