Ours were sent out on Tuesday, so late July for our November wedding. I went ahead and sent them for a number of reasons:
1) I had them done and was tired of looking at them (ha!)
2) Final payment for the guests is due to our TA in mid-August, so it's a good reminder that it's coming up
3) Many of our guests haven't gotten airfare, so it's also a reminder about the trip
4) RSVPs are due back to us by Sept 1st, primarily so we can get their entree choices for the reception/dinner (payment is due late Sept for that from us).
5) most of the people who are going already know, so it's not like the invite is a huge suprise.
We set the mid-August payment date about 3 weeks earlier than when payment is due to our TA's supplier. This is so we can have some time to chase down people who are late, and then can finalize the rooming list in order to figure out what our (Bride & Groom) final payment is with the credits and what not.
As for what to include, here's what we did:
1. Invite (friend designed, had professionally printed)
2. RSVP w/ dinner selections, return envelope (friend designed, had professionally printed)
3. welcome dinner RSVP (I designed & printed at home)
4. website reminder (I designed & printed at home)
Our invites didn't include costs or payment dates - I left that for the wedding website. You could do a separate insert with travel info such as the pricing, that keeps your invite cleaner.
I had registry cards made, but didn't include them, as I was told by some wedding-blogger friends that it's very poor etiquette to include the registry info in the invites. They said it makes it seem like you're asking for gifts (well, you are...but....).
I'd be happy to email you the pieces from the invites later tonight if it will help you. Just drop me a PM with your email address. I'm going to start a planning thread in the next couple of weeks, once the invites have been delivered, and will post them on the forum at that time.
Originally Posted by jnitschke
I'm getting ready to draft my invites. I'm wondering what everyone put in them. Is anyone willing to share an invite or two with me? I think i'm ok on the actual wording, but the extras you're supposed to include are a bit uncertain to me, how to do travel costs without it seeming crass or tacky, registries, rsvp...etc. I'm also wondering how long before your booking due date did you make the RSVP for? Plus, the timing of when you send them out... I'm getting married in May... so November? hmmm... Input is very much welcome... Thanks everyone!