El Dorado Royale (EDR) Brides - POST HERE!

Thanks Nikki, this is really very helpful!

Originally Posted by TheWolferts View Post

Thanks!

We did not bring our vases with us, I found a similar set up with pink roses on the Lomas website and I think they quoted me $180 per table so that included the 3 vases, candles, flower pedals and them setting them up. We had 8 tables, so I couldnt see how we were gonna bring down that many vases without breaking any! The colored water goblets were a b*tch to get! They have them at other restaurants at EDR, but they told me that they had to ship them in special and that it would cost $8 per glass to RENT!! So... we paid it rolleyes.gif I think that was my one illogical bridal demand, but what can I say... I had a vision!

The chair covers were $3 per chair and the table clothes were the Tiffany blue satin table cloth that were $40 per table. I kinda lucked out on that because they were supposed to be $50 per table, but she had originally quoted me $40 so I called the WC on it and she said it was her mistake so she gave them to us for $40.

We brought down our table cards and table numbers, menus, small scented candles as well and they charged us $40 for that event to set those items up.

I think on the reception we spent $2750 for the below items.

Set up fee $40.00
Centerpeicees $840.00
Reception food/cost total $870.40
Tablecloths $280.00
Blue glasses $336.00

Chair Covers $126.00
Wedding Cake $80.00

If it makes you happy and you can afford it, get a new dress and the use the shortened one to do a trash the dress session!

Originally Posted by ONEILL12 View Post

I need some opinions, ladies!

My grandma's good friend did my dress alterations for me. She's been sewing for years and does a lot of wedding alterations. I picked up my dress from her yesterday and its TOO SHORT! I've been holding back the tears crybaby2.gif. I couldn't bring myself to say anything to her because she's not charging anything for her work and her and my grandma both just thought it looked perfect when I tried it on. I thought maybe I was just over reacting and I knew if I told her I was unhappy my grandma would feel so guilty. When she measured it for me I was barefoot since that is how I will be for our wedding and she pinned it perfectly. I wanted it to still cover my feet but not be long enough to step on. Now you can see the tops of my feet while standing still and my ankles when I walk. I went straight to my MILs house when I left with my dress for her opinion and she agreed that it was too short but didn't think it was short enough for people to really notice it. There is no material left in the hem to let it out and its chiffon so adding material to it wouldn't work either without changing the look of the dress.

My FI said I should go buy another dress and have it redone by another person if I'm that unhappy with it. Luckily, David's Bridal stocks my dress in store and the cost of two dresses would still be cheaper than what some people pay for just one dress. After sleeping on it, I don't know that I want to put my wedding dress on and be unhappy with it in any way. We are 28 days out until the wedding and 25 until we leave so I need to be making my decision soon! Am I over reacting? And am I crazy to go buy another dress?? 

I need some opinions, ladies!

My grandma's good friend did my dress alterations for me. She's been sewing for years and does a lot of wedding alterations. I picked up my dress from her yesterday and its TOO SHORT! I've been holding back the tears crybaby2.gif. I couldn't bring myself to say anything to her because she's not charging anything for her work and her and my grandma both just thought it looked perfect when I tried it on. I thought maybe I was just over reacting and I knew if I told her I was unhappy my grandma would feel so guilty. When she measured it for me I was barefoot since that is how I will be for our wedding and she pinned it perfectly. I wanted it to still cover my feet but not be long enough to step on. Now you can see the tops of my feet while standing still and my ankles when I walk. I went straight to my MILs house when I left with my dress for her opinion and she agreed that it was too short but didn't think it was short enough for people to really notice it. There is no material left in the hem to let it out and its chiffon so adding material to it wouldn't work either without changing the look of the dress.

My FI said I should go buy another dress and have it redone by another person if I'm that unhappy with it. Luckily, David's Bridal stocks my dress in store and the cost of two dresses would still be cheaper than what some people pay for just one dress. After sleeping on it, I don't know that I want to put my wedding dress on and be unhappy with it in any way. We are 28 days out until the wedding and 25 until we leave so I need to be making my decision soon! Am I over reacting? And am I crazy to go buy another dress?? 

Oh no. What a stressful situation! I would try the dress on one more time with a close girlfriend and make a rational decision. If you really can see your ankles, and you can afford to buy another dress then I would try that. If you can't afford another dress, perhaps try buying a slip/chiffon in an accent color and adding it underneath to add to the length. Would sort of be like adding a pop of color with shoes, but it would be a small hint under the dress. I am so sorry this is happening and what a difficult situation it must be. Perhaps you could even try selling the shortened dress to a short bride?

Good luck.hug2.gif

Originally Posted by Jillsepher View Post

I've had a HUGE set back that has made me truly appreciate everything and put everything into perspective. I told Allie already but last Friday 8/10 I went in to my normal eye dr to get an eye checkup because I had some serious vision change. I ended up having a detached retina and got rushed to the hospital for emergency eye surgery. I'm completely blind in my right eye now. It's been a very horrific but humbling experience. And the timing honestly couldn't be better (I know sounds weird.) I ended up getting a gas bubble inserted in my eye that makes me unable to fly for 6 weeks. My wedding was in exactly 8 weeks from my surgery. I saw my dr yesterday and he seems to think I should regain most of my vision back just in time for the wedding. So as much as I've complained about a ton of stuff recently it all seems like peanuts compared to this hurdle. I have been able to see how much my FI will truly help me and love me in sickness and in health and feel truly blessed to be marrying him. I'm now just happy to be marrying my best friend and have left everything up to fate. All my planning is done and I'm positive that everything will be perfect. cheer2.gif

Oh my goodness. First of all, you are so lucky to have caught it when you did. Can't imagine how it would have worked with the not flying for 6 weeks if you were closer. Yikes!

Now hopefully your recovery goes smoothly and quickly!

Thanks for the support ladies! My vision is slowly coming back and the black curtain I had before surgery is now completely gone so that's a plus! I think we should be okay by the wedding.

Oneill- Totally sucks about your dress! I totally agree with Lindsey and love the Trash the Dress idea. 

jnitschke,
  Here are some photos of tucanes that I promised. It can give you a rough idea of what the space is like. Sorry it took so long to put up!   

oh and here is one of the entrance on a different day, to give you an idea...

let me know if there is anything else I can help with! 

gorgeous!  Are the colored lights pointing at the ceiling always there, or did you request them?

Originally Posted by mrendic View Post

jnitschke,
  Here are some photos of tucanes that I promised. It can give you a rough idea of what the space is like. Sorry it took so long to put up!   

I decided it was worth the extra money to buy another dress and called David's Bridal to put one on hold for me. I got on Ebay afterwards, honestly not expecting to even find my dress listed, and found that the only dress listed like mine just happened to be in my size! And even better,  it was listed for $100 less than David's price and even included free shipping! That was my sign, so I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival to my door! The dress isn't real big so taking two down and using the old one for a TTD session would work out good. Maybe I can get it cleaned up good enough to sell when we get home too! Thanks for the suggestions ladies :)

Jillsepher - Any unexpected illness would be incredibly tough to deal with so close to your big trip, but I can't imagine how much harder it is when it's your vision! We take it for granted and never think of how tough it would be without it. Thank goodness for the timing! I'm glad to hear you are doing better...keep us updated!

TheWolferts - Did they have false eyelahes at the salon when you got your wedding makeup done? I'm not sure wether to bring some from home or not. Also, what kind of sunscreen did you take and did you think it was enough? I've read reviews where people say only zinc oxide works in the Mexican sun but also have heard that regular SPF 30 is enough protection. I've bought both but I don't want to risk getting fried before the wedding angry.gif !!

We're down to three weeks before take off woot.gif! I think I can honestly say I've never been more excited for anything in my life! My FI and I have been on TripAdvisor.com reading people's reviews of the resort and looking at pictures they have posted. Some people really dog the resort but it makes you wonder if they're the kind of people who can never be pleased in life, and others offer really good tips and advice (like packing floats or rafts if you're staying in a swim up).

Here is the link for the link for the casitas side: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g659488-d1720341-Reviews-or10-El_Dorado_Casitas_Royale_by_Karisma-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

and here is the link for the royale side: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g659488-d574249-Reviews-El_Dorado_Royale-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

well then some things are just meant to be, right?? Crossing fingers for you on the dress.

3 weeks!!!! not long at all. I feel the same way you do about the TripAdvisor reviews - most of the time I read the negative ones just to have an idea of what to expect, so I can be prepared. I get that not everything will be 100% perfect.

I wondered about bringing a cheapo raft with us. Also thought about a few beach balls for pool games. I guess I should search the sale aisles now for those. We aren't booked in a swim up, but I'm hoping for an upgrade.  

Quote:

I decided it was worth the extra money to buy another dress and called David's Bridal to put one on hold for me. I got on Ebay afterwards, honestly not expecting to even find my dress listed, and found that the only dress listed like mine just happened to be in my size! And even better,  it was listed for $100 less than David's price and even included free shipping! That was my sign, so I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival to my door! The dress isn't real big so taking two down and using the old one for a TTD session would work out good. Maybe I can get it cleaned up good enough to sell when we get home too! Thanks for the suggestions ladies :)

We're down to three weeks before take off woot.gif! I think I can honestly say I've never been more excited for anything in my life! My FI and I have been on TripAdvisor.com reading people's reviews of the resort and looking at pictures they have posted. Some people really dog the resort but it makes you wonder if they're the kind of people who can never be pleased in life, and others offer really good tips and advice (like packing floats or rafts if you're staying in a swim up).

Here is the link for the link for the casitas side: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g659488-d1720341-Reviews-or10-El_Dorado_Casitas_Royale_by_Karisma-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

and here is the link for the royale side: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g659488-d574249-Reviews-El_Dorado_Royale-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html