Gran Caribe Real 2011 Brides

Soon-to-be-McRae: Honestly, I can't remember how I came across these resorts. We want a DW because a traditional wedding just isn't our thing. Plus after being together for 11 years, we wanted to make it a vacation & something special that our friends and family can enjoy as well. We haven't picked a spot yet, but I am thinking Mexico might be the way to go, because flights can be found easily, and there are deals to be had for tickets. We vacationed in Puerto Vallarta 2 years ago (Paradise Village Resort) and had a great time. Would love to go back there, but would also like to have the nice waters off the Eastern coast. We want to pick a unique spot to vacation, but also don't want it to be so ridiculously expensive that none of our friends/family can afford to go. I want a place that will take care of the details for me, since I really don't want to get wrapped up in all that. I've seen what wedding-details have done to some friends, and I swore up and down that would never be me! The locations at the Real resorts look lovely, and as long as the water is the right shade of blue, I'm in :) Being able to spend time with our families, having a good time, and getting a simple wedding planned is all that matters! ANY advice would be appreciated - only been engaged a week, but I'd like to try and have something figured out quickly, so we can give our guests time to plan and save on their end as well. Any other recommendations of places to check out would be appreciated. THANK YOU so much!!

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ladies!

I have been going back and forth via email with a Real Resorts Rep for a July 2011 Wedding at the Gran Caribe. All was flowing well, and she sent me all the literature. I was planning a site visit and getting ready to give $200 to hold the date and all of a sudden communication STOPPED! My emails are not being answered and I am growing very concerned at this point. I dont want to lose the date. Any words of wisdom. How has communication flowed with you all? Should I try and get in contact with another rep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyMorales1207 View Post
Hey Ladies!

I have been going back and forth via email with a Real Resorts Rep for a July 2011 Wedding at the Gran Caribe. All was flowing well, and she sent me all the literature. I was planning a site visit and getting ready to give $200 to hold the date and all of a sudden communication STOPPED! My emails are not being answered and I am growing very concerned at this point. I dont want to lose the date. Any words of wisdom. How has communication flowed with you all? Should I try and get in contact with another rep?
I would call them. Their USA office's toll free number is: 800-543-7556

It may be that your specific coordinator is on vacation or no longer works there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnCam2011 View Post
Sounds like these resorts are beautiful and the wedding packages seem to be dummy-proof (which is what I am looking for!). I have been looking at the Gran Porto Real resort for a March 2011 wedding. All the Real resorts look lovely, any advice on how you choose the Gran Caribe over any of the other Real resorts? I have never been to that part of Mexico before and am looking for any advice. We want to keep everything as simple as possible, the place needs to be family-friendly as we will have young nieces and nephews along as well.
I know the Royal resorts of the Real family are all adults only and that wasn't what we were looking for. They are also typically more expensive. So for us, between the Gran Porto (Playa de Carmen) and the Gran Caribe (Cancun), it was a toss up, but the fact that Gran Caribe rooms seemed slightly cheaper and we liked their wedding ceremony and receptions sites better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyMorales1207 View Post
Hey Ladies!

Hi Ladies....
I am unsure if any of you have received news yet regarding the Real Resorts US office...it appears that their US offices have closed. My Fi & I had an amazing relationship with our WC so she let us in on this information. The Mexican office was over all of the negative comments and feedbacks that the US office was receiving and they didnt want that to represent them so they decided to close their office. So now all contact will be dealt directly with Mexico. I believe that all emails will be forwarded down to the WC's in mexico and all the US WC's clients will be assigned to a new Mexico WC...I know this puts a lot of stress on everyone as I panicked as soon as we heard this but from her words everyone will be contacted as soon as possible...

Hey Everyone,

I am getting married at the Gran Caribe December 4th 2010. I saw that a lot of people were concerned about not hearing from their wedding coordinators. The same thing happened to me, but all has been resolved. If you haven't heard from your WC, try to contact them by phone or send them an email about how upset you are, chances are you will hear from someone soon. That's what I did and I haven't had a problem since. My new WC usually gets back to me within the same day or the next day.

Anyway, I will try to tell everyone a little bit about how my wedding planning is going because I know I had to search these forums high and low to get info on Gran Caribe brides.

The wedding planning begins by setting a date and time and giving them a $200 deposit. At that time you will also sign a wedding contract. We chose the Villas Terrace for the reception and the Gazebo for the ceremony. Also, we are having a "symbolic" ceremony so that we don't have to jump through the hoops of getting married in Mexico, and officially getting married here the week before.

So here's some helpful hints:

Go to the real website and "book your wedding." Make up fake names and dates so that you can get to the end to see all of the options (you'll see what I mean once you do it). Your WC will eventually send you all of this stuff, but this is the easiest way to see most of their options (flowers, cakes, prices etc..) before committing to this resort.

If anyone's interested in having a signature cocktail during their cocktail hour, it is an extra $5 per person (I'm having blue lagoons!)

Table linens can be rented in pretty much any color available (that was another question I had). Table linens are $12 each to rent and napkins are $1 each

Ok so I'm pretty much going to walk you through my wedding and tell you how much it is going to cost so you brides thinking about the Gran can get an idea. First of all, my guests are quoted at $355 per person (based on double occupancy) for 4 days... pretty dang good for all inclusive.

We're having the Luxury Wedding. Ceremony is at 4 with a guitarist and a few floral decorations (standard ceremony decorations are white tulle at the entrance, white chair covers and red carpet). Also we are purchasing 3 bridesmaid bouquets, bridal bouquet, and 3 boutonnières. We have also upgraded our photo package which will be about an additional cost of around $1250. (we're using the hotel b/c outside vendor fees are $350, plus the cost of the vender, of course) From 5-6 is cocktail hour w/ signature cocktails and a live mexican trio. From 6-10 is the ceremony with a DJ. There will also be 5 centerpieces.

The total cost of the wedding will be about $8200 for 40 guests. If you're wondering how the luxury wedding went from $3800 to $8200 I will try to add up the additional costs. $400 for a judge (or minister or priest, this is not included in the package) $1250 for photography, $850 for DJ, $400 for reception extra hour (wedding package comes with only 3 hours) $200 for signature cocktails, $250 for couture cake, $150 to feed extra guests, $500 for bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces, table linens, and ceremony decorations. And also a $400 surcharge for all weddings Thur-Sun after 4pm.

I hope this post wasn't too long and that it helps future Gran brides. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbypoo View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am getting married at the Gran Caribe December 4th 2010. I saw that a lot of people were concerned about not hearing from their wedding coordinators. The same thing happened to me, but all has been resolved. If you haven't heard from your WC, try to contact them by phone or send them an email about how upset you are, chances are you will hear from someone soon. That's what I did and I haven't had a problem since. My new WC usually gets back to me within the same day or the next day.

Anyway, I will try to tell everyone a little bit about how my wedding planning is going because I know I had to search these forums high and low to get info on Gran Caribe brides.

The wedding planning begins by setting a date and time and giving them a $200 deposit. At that time you will also sign a wedding contract. We chose the Villas Terrace for the reception and the Gazebo for the ceremony. Also, we are having a "symbolic" ceremony so that we don't have to jump through the hoops of getting married in Mexico, and officially getting married here the week before.

Go to the real website and "book your wedding." Make up fake names and dates so that you can get to the end to see all of the options (you'll see what I mean once you do it). Your WC will eventually send you all of this stuff, but this is the easiest way to see most of their options (flowers, cakes, prices etc..) before committing to this resort.

If anyone's interested in having a signature cocktail during their cocktail hour, it is an extra $5 per person (I'm having blue lagoons!)

Table linens can be rented in pretty much any color available (that was another question I had). Table linens are $12 each to rent and napkins are $1 each

Ok so I'm pretty much going to walk you through my wedding and tell you how much it is going to cost so you brides thinking about the Gran can get an idea. First of all, my guests are quoted at $355 per person (based on double occupancy) for 4 days... pretty dang good for all inclusive.

We're having the Luxury Wedding. Ceremony is at 4 with a guitarist and a few floral decorations (standard ceremony decorations are white tulle at the entrance, white chair covers and red carpet). Also we are purchasing 3 bridesmaid bouquets, bridal bouquet, and 3 boutonnières. We have also upgraded our photo package which will be about an additional cost of around $1250. (we're using the hotel b/c outside vendor fees are $350, plus the cost of the vender, of course) From 5-6 is cocktail hour w/ signature cocktails and a live mexican trio. From 6-10 is the ceremony with a DJ. There will also be 5 centerpieces.

The total cost of the wedding will be about $8200 for 40 guests. If you're wondering how the luxury wedding went from $3800 to $8200 I will try to add up the additional costs. $400 for a judge (or minister or priest, this is not included in the package) $1250 for photography, $850 for DJ, $400 for reception extra hour (wedding package comes with only 3 hours) $200 for signature cocktails, $250 for couture cake, $150 to feed extra guests, $500 for bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces, table linens, and ceremony decorations. And also a $400 surcharge for all weddings Thur-Sun after 4pm.

I hope this post wasn't too long and that it helps future Gran brides. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Thank you so much for sharing!!! This is awesome info!!!

Hi Ladies! I orginally was ready to go with Azul Sensatori but now we are having trouble with the group rates and booking. I have some children coming so I needed a second option and have been looking for info on Gran Caribe Real because I like the resort and the wedding packages! I hope one or the other works out!!! Thanks for all the info ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karielk View Post
Wow, glad to see so many GCR folks! Who are you all working with at Real Resorts? Our wedding coordinator is Aja, who is very responsive.

Vanessa, I wrote in the other thread too (on November 2011 brides), but I just wanted to say again how exciting it is that we'll be getting married there the same day!

We're currently booked for the wedding in the gazebo and the reception on the roof top terrace. We haven't taken a look at the photographers there because we knew we wanted to hire an outside one, since photos are a big priority for us. We also haven't tasted the reception food, but it all sounds delicious. With the 3 course meal, you have a choice of 1) shrimps with jambalaya rice, 2) red snapper stuffed with seafood & black caviar cream, or 3) beef fillet with mushroom sauce. There's also vegetarian and kid options.

Soon-to-be-McRae: Cancun high temperatures in November are around 83-85 F, and lows are around 70-72 F. You might note that it's the tail end of hurricane season, though they are very rare in November. Still, we're planning on getting travel insurance, just in case.
Hey Karielk!
Yeah that is cool that we have the same wedding date and at the same resort! I will also have my reception in the villas terrace. By any chance do you mind sharing your photogrpaher info with us? I'm trying to find an economical photographer but it is so hard to find. I know pictures are important but they are all so expensive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbypoo View Post
Hey Everyone,

Hey abbypoo! This was really helpful! Thank you so much! I would love to see pictures when it is all over and done with! So u are using thier photographers? How do u think the quality will be? I don't like that the packages don't have many photos included in them. Which cocktail hour package did u choose?