Newbie-ess! Is that a word?

mirelle_anne

Hi everyone,

I am new, my name is Mirelle and my fiancee and I are trying to plan a destination wedding and are not having much success. We are trying to stick to a budget for our families and are having trouble nailing down a location. I am on here seeking advice and help! We want to get married March 2011 and pretty much only have that date because my whole family is made up of teachers and we cant take any other time off.

Hope to talk to some of you soon!

Mirelle

Hi Mirelle and welcome to the forum. We actual decided to do a non-resort DW in Isla Mujeres, MX in order to make things affordable to our guests. The hotel we chose is only about $65/night and their only other major costs are airfare to Cancun, transportation to the ferry and the ferry ride to the island. Once on the island, food and drinks are pretty affordable.

Good luck with your planning!

Welcome Mirelle!

You should contact one of the TAs on here by clicking at the very top of the screen. They're all specialized by DW location and will be able to give you all kinds of options depending on your wants/needs. Choosing the resort/location is often the hardest part, and I can't imagine having had to do all of it myself! Mexico will definitely be your best bet if money is an issue.

Congrats and welcome to the forum! I narrowed down my choices based on a price point for guests and just starting searching for different locations I wanted, then I went through all the reviews and chose that way. Contacting a TA can be really helpful in nailing down a location also.

Thank you for your replies! The people are on here are amazing and full of helpful tips. I have worked with a few TA's thus far but I really feel like no one is helping me get what I want. I think this forum is going to be the best thing for me, and I have already sent an inquiry on this forum for help from a TA.

re: mexico as a destination

I have been to Mexico and had a good experience but both of my parents went and became VERY ill and therefore really do not want to return which I can totally understand. So that is where is gets tricky because good food is extremely important to our families and it can set a whole week off if its bad. I just want to avoid people having to really watch what they eat....does this sound too snooty or anything? I just don't want to make my parents return to a place where they had such a bad experience.

Any advice for this?

Mirelle

We were in Rincon, Puerto Rico for the holidays and I absolutely loved it there. In fact, that's where we got engaged. It's relatively inexpensive to fly to PR and you don't even need a passport. I know there are other parts of PR that are supposed to be amazing as well. We just loved Rincon.

Just a thought. Although I'd say the food was just alright. So maybe this doesn't help. I'm sure others are having weddings in PR on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmysals View Post
We were in Rincon, Puerto Rico for the holidays and I absolutely loved it there. In fact, that's where we got engaged. It's relatively inexpensive to fly to PR and you don't even need a passport. I know there are other parts of PR that are supposed to be amazing as well. We just loved Rincon.

Just a thought. Although I'd say the food was just alright. So maybe this doesn't help. I'm sure others are having weddings in PR on this forum.
Congrats on the engagement! And I am open to anything and I really appreciate the suggestion and will look into it. It's so nice to have total stragners care about your wedding. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and I will keep you posted as to what I find out about Rincon travelling from Kenora here, it can be tricky but we will see what happens!

Mirelle