Should've put a guest limit on the invitations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougs View Post
omg stacey, your FI is totally a keeper for nipping that in the bud!!! and you both should talk to your parents about not mentioning the legal day to anyone and keeping it secret. i think if family/guests start finding out that mexico isn't "the real deal," it could cause a problem for you. it's ultimately why we chose to have our legal ceremony in mexico ... our family wouldn't have understood, or worse, been pissed off! i'm so jealous of the people who can get the legal crap out of the way easily at home!
We DID tell the parents that it was hush hush. My parents haven't said a word.. its all FIs parents, and I know we made it clear to them too. That's another topic though... LOL

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many misconceptions about destination weddings... #1 being that everything is free because it's an all inclusive! I would be honest with them right away, and save yourself a lot of stress for later on. They most likely are unaware that there is a cost for their friends to attend your wedding!

My darling future sister-in-law told me a few weeks ago that she invited one of her friends, "Angela" to come along to the wedding.

First of all....no. She's not invited. The reason being that I've met her once, wasn't a huge fan of her, AND she and my FI had a "fling" back in the day. Heck to the no.

It's just amazing to me that people take it upon themselves to put that kind of burden on the bride.

Now, on the other hand, my cousin asked if she could invite a couple that she and her husband are very close with. They've never been to Mexico and have always wanted to go. She said, right off the bat, "Of course they won't come to the wedding, but I was hoping it would be ok if they stayed at the resort?" Now THAT is how you do it! And of course I said they can come, and are welcome at the wedding, because she had the decency to run it by me first. I say the more the merrier, as along as I'm involved in the decision!

Seriously, have people flippin' lost their minds these days? What on earth would makea wedding guest invite whomever the heck they wanted to tag along to a DW? I swear people have no etiquette anymore.

Demaris, I agree with the girls that suggested letting your original invited guests know that only they are allowed to come to the wedding/reception/events. Anyone else who shows up at the resort can enjoy their vacation there, but that's it.

Good luck!

Wow, having 5 extra guests! As Stephanie from Full House would say, "HOW RUDE!!!"

I would be frank with them and let them know that their extra guests are welcome to vacation at the resort but that you already have a set number for the wedding/reception. If they don't like it, they don't have to come and it will cut down on your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb0arder13 View Post
First of all....no. She's not invited. The reason being that I've met her once, wasn't a huge fan of her, AND she and my FI had a "fling" back in the day. Heck to the no.
this totally cracked me up! and i'm in full agreement with you. that girl is NOT welcome at your wedding. it's bad enough she will even be at the same resort.

Damaris:

I was having the same issue with some people telling me they were going to come with 3-4 friends and so forth. I was very straight forward and told them that I wanted a destination wedding so that I could have my family and CLOSEST friends there and that I was sorry but I did not feel comfortable with people at the ceremony and dinner that weren't either one of these. They understood. Oh and by the way we also got about 10 people who RSVP that they were coming and at the end never came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelymo View Post
Damaris:

I was having the same issue with some people telling me they were going to come with 3-4 friends and so forth. I was very straight forward and told them that I wanted a destination wedding so that I could have my family and CLOSEST friends there and that I was sorry but I did not feel comfortable with people at the ceremony and dinner that weren't either one of these. They understood. Oh and by the way we also got about 10 people who RSVP that they were coming and at the end never came.
Did you have to pay for them?! I really thought no shows would be avoided with a DW. I really don't get some people...