Photo

Megamart Montego Bay vs Hi-Lo Negril

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 L&J

L&J
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

Has anyone been to either of these supermarkets? We want to get OOT bag favors (blue mountain coffee, rum, snacks) as well as liquor for our welcome party and I was hoping someone could tell me which location had the best prices and selection.
    Tensing Pen, Negril Jamaica, November 13th, 2010

#2 Princess J

Princess J
    • 424 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

Great question. I am also looking for favours but being quoted $10 ea which is a bit high.
      50 Guests booked + the bride and groom!!!

#3 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
      • 521 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

I've been to the Hi-Lo as they seem to have the best exchange rates in Negril. It's more like a neighborhood grocery store, so I don't think you'll find too much to use as favors. We usually stock up on liquor when we go there since the prices are pretty good. I've heard of Megamart, and they probably have more of what you're looking for in terms of favors. A good place to pose this question would be on Negril.com in the Negril section as there's quite a few boardies that are very familiar with the stores.

#4 L&J

L&J
        • 153 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

Thanks QueenDiva. I'll check out Negril.com. Did you happen to notice if Hi-Lo has mini bottles of Appleton's Rum? I'm hoping to pick up those and some local snacks to put in our OOT bags.
          Tensing Pen, Negril Jamaica, November 13th, 2010

#5 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
          • 521 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

I don't think they had any of the mini bottles of rum, but I do remember someone listing a location by the airport that had them for a good price. I'll try to find it for you. Also, there's a small grocery store a couple of doors down from Alice's Restaurant (which is across the street from Tensing Pen) and they had some local snacks in there

#6 QueenDiva

QueenDiva
            • 521 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Okay, here's the link to one of the threads where someone contacted Appleton Estates directly http://bestdestinati....-favors-44620/

And from a post from michelle6114:

"Don't know if this helps any, but maybe for the AHR favors?
              In the Montego Bay airport by the American Airlines gates, there are 2 liquor stores with insanely cheap prices. We grabbed half a dozen bottles of various jamaican alcohol to give as christmas gifts. I got a bottle of appleton rum there for $3.00. The more deluxe version was 50 cents more. It was a good sized smaller bottle, defitely bigger than shot sized. They even packed them in carboard boxes for the plane. Nobody at customs checked anything on the way home. My husband was pissed that he paid triple the prices at the resort gift shops."

#7 Leez309

Leez309
              • 186 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the link. I really want to give out appleton as my favors. The airport in Montego Bay definitly has the best prices on alcohol!

#8 futuremrswalls

futuremrswalls
                • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

I swear someone mentioned the duty free at the airport has mini bottles of appleton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users