Etiquette advice needed :-)

So we are getting married in Punta Cana on May 13, 2010. My FI's cousin announced shortly after us that they were getting married May 7th at an at home wedding. We were fine with it as most of my FIs family is coming for only half of the week and that way they can attend both.

BUT here lies my dilemma,

We sent out invites to EVERYONE whether or not we thought they were going, since we are also having an at home party. We knew their invites were going out and even though we could not attend their wedding we thought we would still receive an invite. We never received one and then a couple of days later I get a FACEBOOK message from his cousin saying " I know you will be in Punta Cana for our wedding so I didn't send you an invite, but you know you guys are invited."

This to me means..."I didn't want to waste money on an invite for you BUT we still expect a gift cause technically I invited you." And I am a little pissed off ....FI feels the same way...Also, we never recieved a thank you for our wedding shower gift to them....

I am not a crazy stickler about etiquette but I mean come on....

What do I do?!?! Gift....or no gift on sheer principle?? lol

Thanks in advance ladies!! :-)

-Nicole-

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man! I'm not a stickler for etiquette either but this would annoy me too! You don't have to get them a gift right away since you will be busy finishing plans with your wedding and traveling. I would wait until you get home form your wedding, see if they got you a gift, and proceed from there. Even if they don't send you a gift I would still send them one just because I think two wrongs don't make a right. My advice is to pick something small from their registry and send them a nice card. No point fighting it, esp. if your FI thinks you should get them a gift. Good luck!!

I am torn but always end up making more of an effort. Of course stooping to their level will not make it better even though it would feel good for awhile to buy them something completely tacky. In the end I say, take the high road.

They will never see the error of their judgement and I think you already know the appropriate thing to do since you had common sense to even recognize their mistake.

Don't pay them any attention and enjoy your own celebration.

Sheesh! I feel like etiquette went out the window when social networking sites became popular. Not sending you an invite is bad enough, but to then FB-message you like that?

Yikes.

I'd be inclined to forgo the gift. You didn't receive a proper invitation anyway, right wink.gif

I would be totally annoyed - they should have sent you the invitation. A half-hearted facebook invite is CRAP in my opinion.

But, their ettiquete faux pas should not keep you from doing the right thing - if you want to. Send them a card - definitely. send them a gift - only if you think it's neccessary.