Any 2012 brides out there?

Andreanna,

First let me say that Moon Palace (MP) didn't start booking 2012 weddings (no matter what month it was) until Jan 2011.  With that said, I would call the wedding department at Dreams to find out what their policy is, etc..  If they say that you can book now..I highly suggest you find a new TA.  It can be frustrating to wait but it is also nice to gauge what the cost, timeframe etc.. are.

Originally Posted by Andreanna View Post

Sorry ladies, but I have to get this off of my chest.

Despite not being until October 2012, I wanted to at least have a location picked out. We thought we'd go with Dreams La Romana (as FH REALLY loves Dreams Resorts) but our travel agent has doubts that we'll be able to get there for the dates we want but she says that there is no way to know for sure until April 2012.

Am I unreasonable to not want to wait a year before knowing if that is the location of our wedding? Because all I keep hearing is that we are just too damn early.

Date, location. Seems basic enough. We simply want to give people enough time to save and plan. That was the whole point of getting engaged so early.

Just in case, I have been looking at other resorts. FH is set on Dreams, and I want a smaller resort, so our choices are limited by our own stubbornness. The date is special to us as it would be our 5th anniversary, so again, not something we'd want to change.

I know it's a petty thing, but the frustration at people telling me to wait is building. Since when did being decisive or firm mean you were unreasonable or a bridezilla? The whole point of DW is to relax and enjoy it, no? Alas, my own brain is trying to intercede.

Anyone else getting the "you're too early" shpeel? How are you dealing with it?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:( Sorry to hear you're having trouble Andreanna. I found waiting hard as well. I was trying to book in January/February for next April, which was just over a year, and was still told that I was too early by a few TA's. That's why I'm so glad I found Kelly, she got me rates no problem. I'm not sure how far in advance they can get pricing but if you're set on that resort maybe you can book your date with the resort directly, let your family know, and then make the travel arrangements at a later date. Everyone says a DW is less stress, and for the most part I'm finding that to be true, but deciding on the resort andgetting the pricing is the worst part. Once you're all booked in it's a big weight lifted! Good luck, I know it will all work out fine. :)

Andreanna,

My FI and I got engaged in February 2010. We were set to book our wedding at Paradisus Punta Cana (thankfully that's where we ended up booked!), I had another TA at the time and she provided me a quote for the time we wanted (April) but for 2011, even though we were planning for an April 2012 wedding. She let us know that the rates may go up, but not by much, so we could have an estimate cost to let our guests know. At our engagement party we let our guests know that we were aiming for April 12-19, 2012 but that it wasn't set in stone, and we told them the approx. cost for one week all inclusive. Since then, we had to get a new TA because the last one just wasn't working out, she didn't reply to emails and didn't give us much detail on what needed to happen in order to book.

I booked the wedding date with the WC at our resort directly, so I would contact the resort directly to book your wedding day. Our WC then recommended a fantastic TA to us and so we switched over to her to book the week for flights and rooms (for the exact dates we wanted), and thank goodness she recommended her because she's absolutely fabulous. She emails us back right away and is so detailed in terms of letting us know what needs to happen.

We just booked our week through the TA last week for the dates that we wanted at a lower quote than the original TA had provided to us last year!

So if I were you, I would:

1) Book the wedding day with the resort as soon as they allow you to, which I'm sure would be any time.

2) Get in touch with a great TA and ask them for a quote for 2011, to give you an idea of what it will cost for you and your guests. The TA will then let you know when you can book the dates you want, but since you'll have the wedding day booked with the resort you won't have to worry about that with your TA.

3) Contact our TA if you'd like, she really is wonderful to work with. Her name is Niyoka McIntosh at Vacation Your Way (www.vacationyourway.ca) and her email address is niyoka@rogers.com.

Best of luck! Let us know how you make out....

Despite not being until October 2012, I wanted to at least have a location picked out. We thought we'd go with Dreams La Romana (as FH REALLY loves Dreams Resorts) but our travel agent has doubts that we'll be able to get there for the dates we want but she says that there is no way to know for sure until April 2012.

Am I unreasonable to not want to wait a year before knowing if that is the location of our wedding? Because all I keep hearing is that we are just too damn early.

Date, location. Seems basic enough. We simply want to give people enough time to save and plan. That was the whole point of getting engaged so early.

Just in case, I have been looking at other resorts. FH is set on Dreams, and I want a smaller resort, so our choices are limited by our own stubbornness. The date is special to us as it would be our 5th anniversary, so again, not something we'd want to change.

I know it's a petty thing, but the frustration at people telling me to wait is building. Since when did being decisive or firm mean you were unreasonable or a bridezilla? The whole point of DW is to relax and enjoy it, no? Alas, my own brain is trying to intercede.

Hi Andreanna,

I met with my TA in January and she said we'd be waiting until April/May to get prices for April 2012 and we haven't heard anything yet...but at least we will know just under a year as to what the prices are for our top resorts. I think your TA should be able to get prices around a year in advance, I would also be stressed to wait that long...I'm already so anxious and checking my email a couple times a day hoping to hear back from mine. Maybe you should look around...

Thank you for your support, ladies! Good to know I'm not the only one hitting these issues.

I'm definitely going to email Niyoka. Our current TA just sent me an email saying "talk to you next spring!", so I guess that's goodbye to her. She was recommended by a friend, but the friend had done all of her research ahead of time and had far fewer locations to fly from.

I'm also going to contact the resort about booking the date directly. I thought you'd have to have a number of guests first, but saving the date for us would be a massive help.

Good luck to you all, and I'll keep you updated.

Hey ladies! So I created luggage tags from Vista Print & they came yesterday...bad news is they look awful!!!!

I feel like they look cheesey.  I used one of their pictures & moved the words around & put name, address, phone on the front with luggage tag scrolling around the area. I didn't realize they were matte either, I wanted gloss.

Has anyone create luggage tags on Vista Print? If so, did you use matte & did you put the address lines on the front or the back of the card? Is using business cards the way to go? They seemed a bit small too.

Here is what they look like and there are 250 of these sitting on my table now!!! If anyone wants them I will mail them to you...just have to pay the shipping.

post-35171-138622245573_thumb.jpg

I'm so glad she's working out for you! She is spectacular, I'm so glad I found her.

woot.gif

Niyoka has been very quick to respond with information. She's been giving us prices that are several hundred cheaper to boot! Definitely glad I contacted her! Thanks for the recommendation Ashley!