EXCELLENCE Resort Punta Cana - New thread started April 2010

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#191 stephany0930

stephany0930
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

*Le Sigh...

Why does Excellence have to be one of the more expensive resorts? im feeling soooo guilty about having my wedding there because everytime i look at booking prices online.. they go up and up and up.. i could imagine my guest cringing at the price in comparison to the prices of the other resorts...there are already some guest not going... some staying at another hotel.. both are completely understandable.. except i invited only the CLOSEST people to us and i honestly expected all of them to go. Im not mad or being a brat.. im just sad some of my guest arent going...this place better be worth it!  .. im exactly 4 months away today.

On a side note/question.. any idea if any photography vendor (including the ones ive chosen, photosouvenir) have any experience or provide live streaming online for weddings? prices? experience?

I have some nieces and nephews as well as the guests that wont be able to go that i'd love to provide live stream to during the ceremony.

Thanks ladies..

#192 Diva

Diva
    • 682 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:46 AM

I have one month to go HOORRRAYYYY!So now I want to be sure all Ts are crossed and Is are dotted. 

A couple of questions for former brides:

1.  What was the ceremony script like? I am going with the person that they provide and I am assuming it is pretty basic

2.  How secure is the in room safe? I am thinking about where to store our rings and other jewelry while we are out at the pool and before the ceremony.

3. Is there a steamer that we can use? I know they steam my dress as a part of the services, but what about something for the bridesmaids to use on theirs...

Thanks! I am sure I will have more questions in weeks to come :-)

#193 kitty25967

kitty25967
      • 320 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

My fiance had my engagement ring in the safe the until he proposed, so it should be ok.  He did have a pair of really expensive flip flops come up missing though (of course they weren't in the safe lol)  There are irons in the room (for steam) but I am pretty sure they would offer a steaming service.  Most resorts do.

Originally Posted by Diva 

I have one month to go HOORRRAYYYY!So now I want to be sure all Ts are crossed and Is are dotted. 

A couple of questions for former brides:

1.  What was the ceremony script like? I am going with the person that they provide and I am assuming it is pretty basic

2.  How secure is the in room safe? I am thinking about where to store our rings and other jewelry while we are out at the pool and before the ceremony.

3. Is there a steamer that we can use? I know they steam my dress as a part of the services, but what about something for the bridesmaids to use on theirs...

Thanks! I am sure I will have more questions in weeks to come :-)

#194 spaterson

spaterson
        • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hey ladies! I'm planning a 2012 wedding at Excellence. So far Ana has been amazing and highly responsive! She has sent me tons of documents covering everything from extras, ceremony locatins, reception locations, cakes, etc... Email me if you want it and I'll forward it to you!

Sarah.e.paterson@gmail.com

#195 Diva

Diva
          • 682 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hey ladies, 

I also posted this on the general DR thread but did any of you get vaccinations? I know the CDC website is saying that there have been recent cases of Cholera too since the Haiti earthquake!

On another note, does Excellence spray for mosquitoes?

#196 kitty25967

kitty25967
            • 320 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

I didn't get any vaccinations before our trip last July.  I don't plan on getting any for our trip in May.  The resorts are very well maintained, it would be highly unlikely that you would get anything.  I wouldn't worry. The Excellence is very nice and the grounds are well kept.  They provide you with bottle water so just stick with that.. 

I am not sure if they spray for bugs, and I know that some people on tripadvisor say that they have had bad experiences with it, but when we were there, we experience no bugs/no mosquitoes.  I had bug spray just in case from all that I had read and never used it once.  I guess it is just certain times of the year when they are bad and probably a hit or miss.  Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Diva 

Hey ladies, 

I also posted this on the general DR thread but did any of you get vaccinations? I know the CDC website is saying that there have been recent cases of Cholera too since the Haiti earthquake!

On another note, does Excellence spray for mosquitoes?

#197 fmichelle

fmichelle
              • 298 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hey Excellence brides and brides-to-be, did anyone who's wed there or going to be wed there have issues with guests (or family in my case) giving you a hard time about choosing the DR for a DW because of safety issues? And if so, how did do/do you deal with it? My parents and now sister are stuck on the info on the US Travel website and are seriously worried about their safety with traveling to the DR. My sister is particularly concerned about its proximity to Haiti. I quickly informed her that Punta Cans is no closer to Haiti than our home in LA is to the Mexican border, which is much less safe these days. I also informed them that I'll be pre-arranging their travel to the hotel with Mike (I read a ton of good reviews about his transports all over the island) and that the resort is behind locked gates with armed guards. Any other info I can pass along? I am working so hard to create a beautiful, memorable wedding week for my guests and I am so over getting grief from those who one would think would be the most supportive at this time. I know I can't change the fact that they have to take two flights to get there and that's also an issue, but I'd really like to squelch this safety issue right now. Thanks!

#198 kitty25967

kitty25967
                • 320 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

There are other brides who share your concerns.  I'm getting married at The Grand Palladium and luckily my family and friends haven't mentioned anything yet about being scared.  Most of them are well traveled.  I stayed at The Excellence last Summer and had NO problems and NEVER felt scared.  The airport is small, and there are a lot of tourists and people eager to help you.  The Dominican people are really friendly.  Just have your sister check out this site and see how many brides are getting married in Punta Cana and have her read the review for herself...or see how many people on tripadvisor have traveled there.  Hope it all works out for you.

#199 spaterson

spaterson
                  • 123 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

If you go to the link below you can read the current country overview for the DR published by the State department. The safety and security information is really no different than most other countires. Everyone in my group is pretty well traveled so I've been lucky to not receive any complaints. The basic rule of thumb I always go by when traveilng outside the US is not to make myself a target. If I'm traveling in the countryside or a less affluent city I'll leave my nice jewelry and designer hand bags a t home. While you're on the resorts this won't be an issue. As your guests aren't hoping to drive to Haiti you'll be fine.

http://travel.state....w/cis_1103.html

#200 spaterson

spaterson
                    • 123 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Just got our room rate group quote from the resort for our May 2012 wedding!!! So excited! How's everyone's planning going?

I think I'm giong with a coral/torquise color scheme.

Is anyone else using the pool area for the reception? We can only have it privatized 7-10 so I'm wondering how to do the 3 hour reception plus 1 hour cocktail party. May need to find another area for the cocktail hour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users