what kind of cake are you having?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
  • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

Tres leches is this super moist kind of white cake. It's called tres leches (3 milks) because it is made with milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk. You basically let the cake absorb the milks. It tastes pretty much like vanilla and is soooooooo good. Tara if you get the white cake at Las Caletas that is what you'll have - well unless you request something else. I make my own but it's never as good as the bakery...of course!

#42 CaboDate

CaboDate
    • 129 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

We're not doing wedding cake.. We have a yummy desert.. chocolate fudge cake with hot fudge wrapped in a tamale.. served with vanilla ice cream. We're using Lazy Gourmet.. it was one of their choices..

If I had to pick a cake right now.. it would probably be about 5 layers.. one cheesecake, one chocolate, one lemon, one carrot, and top it off with keylime pie.. I HAVE A HORRIBLE SWEET TOOTH!!!!
      Amy & Todd
      Cabo San Lucas
      October 20th, 2007

#43 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
      • VIP Member
      • 4,791 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by beachbride
        just vanilla, I really don't like chocolate cake...
        Ditto. I love Kash's cupcake-cake tho! May have to look into that...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
        "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#44 Heidi

Heidi
        • 2,642 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

my spanish prof at college made the BEST pastel de tres leches! YUMM!!! I wish I knew how to make it like he did! These recipes aren't bad though: Pastel de Tres Leches & Pastel de Tres Leches Recipe | Cake Recipes| Cinco De Mayo Recipes @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online! but nowhere near as good as the 'authentic' kind!
          Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#45 MarlaB

MarlaB
          • 108 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

Starchild,
            I am having difficulty accessing your cake picture!! It's so darn frustrating! It says "accessed denied" or something like that. How many layers was your cake? I definitely want the Tres Leches now that I know what it is. I wonder if I can have one layer of that and one chocolate or maybe carrot with buttercream frosting. Would they do that at Las Caletas? I also like having strawberries in the middle with the frosting. Yummy! Iwill have to ask Nicole or Kelley. Oh, did you have fresh flowers surrouding your cake? Man, I wish I could see it. Is there a way you can send it to me via my work email?
            Just PM me if you need it but you probably already have it!!!
            Thanks

Oh, yeah: In risk of sounding like a fool, what is a fondant?

#46 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

So weird, try this and if it still doesn't work pm me with your email and I'll send it that way. It was 3 layers, I'm quite sure they can get any kind of cake you want. I've heard the chocolate cake is good, the tres leches was excellent. It did have fresh flowers, and orange ribbon to match my color scheme, although the ribbon looks red in the photo.

http://images.kodakg....1111_0_ALB.jpg

#47 erik.wade

erik.wade
              • Banned
              • 45 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:38 AM

flavor...german chocolate...but as that wasn't available for Drea and My wedding, we got some strawberry type that I had a small bite of and it disappeared.

Hey, does anyone actually keep their cake for a year in the freezer anymore and eat it on the 1 year anniversary?

That always sounded so odd to me that I wasn't about to try.

#48 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by erik.wade
                  Hey, does anyone actually keep their cake for a year in the freezer anymore and eat it on the 1 year anniversary?

That always sounded so odd to me that I wasn't about to try.
                  Um, no. Old cake is not hot...especially if it moved through a few time zones before it made it to the freezer...lol

#49 erik.wade

erik.wade
                  • Banned
                  • 45 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by starchild
                    Um, no. Old cake is not hot...especially if it moved through a few time zones before it made it to the freezer...lol
                    Good...that just seemed disgusting...and when Drea suggested it, I almost lost my dinner.

Oh, and it figures that the only person online right now would be the SoCals...lol

#50 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                    • 26,161 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:22 AM

haha..oh yeah, I'm a bigtime night owl!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users