Photo

Mexican Customs and Items Imported from China

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Smidge

Smidge
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

I have heard that Mexican Customs will not allow items made in China to cross the border. I've been told that they can confiscate the items and charge you an embargo tax. Anyone know more about this?

#2 cheerleader1975

cheerleader1975
    • 59 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

I haven't heard that, but we are using a broker to ship some things down. If you are taking everything on the plane with you, you should be good to go as long as you have your receipts. Good luck!

#3 Ayita

Ayita
      • 861 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hello Smidge,

I never heard of this before. I had a lot of items made from China in my bags and had no problem at all !

there are some links to the Mexican customs website in this thread :

http://bestdestinati....-thread-41422/

#4 damaris

damaris
        • 462 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

I heard this from my WC. I was planning on shipping items down and she told me they could not say Made in China. So I cut and peeled any labels that might cause an issue.
          65 BOOKED PLUS BRIDE & GROOM

http://global.thekno...rs/tt22b9e.aspx

#5 MayanLily

MayanLily
          • 316 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

oh gosh! Isn't everything made in china now... lol Good job on being sneaky sneaky and destroying the evidence. Good Luck and let us know if you have an issues please.
            Aly

#6 Smidge

Smidge
            • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

Since me post, this is what we hve found out and done:

We've cut and peeled our labels when we can, and opted out on things that were imprinted. Why risk it? We were warned about embargo by our wedding planner and have found other discussions that back up this warning. I even had one vendor tell me "absolutely" because they had a bride whose items were confiscated at the border. They even warned of an embargo fine. We decided, why take a chance, and brides should look into this when planning a wedding in Mexico.

#7 Mere

Mere
              • 729 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by MayanLily
                oh gosh! Isn't everything made in china now... lol Good job on being sneaky sneaky and destroying the evidence. Good Luck and let us know if you have an issues please.
                That is exactly what I was thinking-isn't everything made in China now?

#8 simba1234

simba1234
                • 179 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

They didn't even look at my stuff that closely. They opened my luggage and saw that I had a ton of stuff. He asked me what it was and I said it was favors and gifts for my wedding guests. He asked me "how much did you spend?" I said $200 and he said "Thanks...congratulations" and closed my bag. That was it. I spent WAY, WAY more than $200...I lied because I had at least $1000 worth of merch but as soon as he heard it was for a wedding he relaxed. He didn't even ask for receipts.

I think they look at the label if you ship items. But if you're traveling with it, and they know it's for a wedding I don't think they'll give you a hard time.

Just to be safe and help you feel better you can take off labels and make fake receipts. But as I said, we had enough luggage to make you think we were moving to Mexico forever and I was not hassled at all.

Good luck.

#9 Ayita

Ayita
                  • 861 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by simba1234
                    They didn't even look at my stuff that closely. They opened my luggage and saw that I had a ton of stuff. He asked me what it was and I said it was favors and gifts for my wedding guests. He asked me "how much did you spend?" I said $200 and he said "Thanks...congratulations" and closed my bag. That was it. I spent WAY, WAY more than $200...I lied because I had at least $1000 worth of merch but as soon as he heard it was for a wedding he relaxed. He didn't even ask for receipts.

I think they look at the label if you ship items. But if you're traveling with it, and they know it's for a wedding I don't think they'll give you a hard time.

Just to be safe and help you feel better you can take off labels and make fake receipts. But as I said, we had enough luggage to make you think we were moving to Mexico forever and I was not hassled at all.

Good luck.
                    Dito ! This is exactly what happened to us. The guy that was looking in my case actually said to one next to him (in Spanish, probably he thought I did not understand) : "no, these are not expensive things. This is not what you're looking for."

#10 alison15

alison15
                    • 356 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

Wow the whole made in China thing is not something I would have thought of, thanks for the info. I wonder if there are any other countries they do not allow merch from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users