Help me pull this together!

Our wedding plans fell through to get married on the east coast. We were originally planning a peaceful quaint wedding on an island called Nantucket which is near New York and New England but nobody seems interested and we want to have a good time. My fiance's best friend suggested we get married in Jamaica instead. I of course have to get on this forum immediately because so far its been so helpful. We know we are going to have to postpone our original date further out and are flexible on that. Here are my questions:

I know of three main cities in Jamaica for weddings from my research so far. Can you tell me the highlights of each, and if you are getting married there, what resorts?

Montego Bay

Ocho Rios

Negril

With the currency difference and cost of living down there way different from what we have here in the states, does anyone know the average cost per person for the food and what they expect in terms of how many rooms they block off for weddings? I am guessing we will have about 20-35 people but who knows. Its really all up in the air right now. We aren't super wealthy but at the same time I would never pride myself in being "cheap" on the biggest once-in-a-lifetime day of my life because I know I deserve this!

I suggest that you take some time & look at the Jamaica sub-forum. There is a wealth of information regarding Ocho Rios, Montego Bay & Negril. There are threads on why brides chose Jamaica over other Carribean Islands as well as lots of information on resorts/venues, wedding packages/pricing & pictures & wedding reviews.

You may also want to reach out to a TA such as our very own TA Maureen, who has knowledge & experience with destination weddings, especially in Jamaica.

We are getting married at the RIU in montego bay. My photographer (Brian Nejedly who lives in Jamaica) recommended the RIU. He said they have beautiful weddings and it's all inclusive. I believe ocho rios is the riu that he typically photographs at and i've heard a lot of wonderful things about the RIU at ocho rios. Chantelle is supposedly an amazing coordinator. We are getting married in montego bay because its right beside the airport (so it's close), and it's a new resort. Sherika is the wedding coordinator there and she is been helpful so far. If you want to check out the riu resorts wedding packages and what is included go to: Wedding Packages by Destination. Honeymoon Holidays. Weddings by Riu and make sure you click on what year (2010 and 2011) you need in the different package options. You can also have a private beach reception and steel drum band for an extra cost. There is a ton of great info on this forum so research the different options and i'm sure everything will be fine. Definitely take the time to look at other options and information before deciding..... I would recommend the RIU because i've read a lot of info on it, but definitely check out the other resorts on this forum! Good luck!

Yeah, there is so much information out there on why each couple chose the resort they did, my best suggestion is to sit down with your groom and determine what is important to you. Do you want to stay at an all-inclusive? Kids or no kids resort? Beach, Garden, or Ruins ceremony location? I say, determine what you want, talk to a travel agent, then review this forum for ideas. There are some great choices on here but each couple had to decide what they wanted first.