• Please log in to reply
802 replies to this topic

#261 clgriffi7

clgriffi7
  • Banned
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Eun-sil:   Your dress looks beautiful.

When is everyone getting their dresses altered?  I think I may be doing mine a bit on the early side - I am taking it in on September 12th and have been told I will get it back no later than October 4th (the lady scheduled 3 appointments with me and I should have the dress back on September 27th - and a 4th appointment just in case to get it back on October 4th ).  I am doing this all a bit ahead of schedule because I plan on having a bridal portrait session in mid-October.

How much should I expect to pay in alterations (ball-park)?  My dress is a heavily-boned mermaid dress with pleats & ruffles (but no beads or lace) and I will have the top made into a sweetheart, have the side taken in, and have it hemmed.  Am I looking at $100 or $300 here?

#262 JoanneIreland

JoanneIreland
    • 860 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Eun-sil, I love your dress! It's so beautiful. It's amazing how you think you want one style and end up with another. If I had that dress at home I'd be wearing it every day, lol!

Courtney, I think it really depends on the store, the details of the dress, and how much alterations you need, but I think about $300 is more in the ball park. Mine is NOT a corset back so I will need to have the sides altered, probably a hem, and a bustle and I am anticpiating around $300. I wanted a sweetheart too but the bridal store was able to order this way so it saved me some money (the dress i wanted wasn't sweetheart, but there was something similar that was, so they had the designer make it with the bottom of the one I liked, and then make it with the top of the other dress).

I should have my first fitting on September 15th, which I don't think is too far in advance. I'd rather have the first one as soon as I can, and the last one as close to the date as possible. So when I go in on the 15th I'll probably wait about 3 weeks before going back again.

Happy Friday everyone!

#263 Pucca

Pucca
      • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thank you ladies!

Joanne: It's actually a lot of what I had been hoping to find but never thought I would. I've been tempted to wear it every day. I tried it on again yesterday but had to give in to no more trying on because I can't exactly zip it up myself. And I don't want to get it dirty before the wedding. lol!

Courtney: I don't know where you're taking your dress to be altered but they told me at the salon where I bought my dress that it would be $150 for bustle and hem; additional charges for other things (I imagine if I needed to have it taken in or such). My friend bought her wedding dress and they were charging her $300 I think for hem, bustle, and sweetheart neckline. So I think it's quite a range depending upon what needs to be done, the particular dress, and where you take it. I think $300 seems to be more the ball-park for the alterations you mentioned. And if you're having a bridal portrait session mid-October, no it's not too early to start getting alterations done.

TGIF to all of you too! I'm going to go prepare for this potential hurricane.....Yikes!

Originally Posted by clgriffi7 

Eun-sil:   Your dress looks beautiful.

When is everyone getting their dresses altered?  I think I may be doing mine a bit on the early side - I am taking it in on September 12th and have been told I will get it back no later than October 4th (the lady scheduled 3 appointments with me and I should have the dress back on September 27th - and a 4th appointment just in case to get it back on October 4th ).  I am doing this all a bit ahead of schedule because I plan on having a bridal portrait session in mid-October.

How much should I expect to pay in alterations (ball-park)?  My dress is a heavily-boned mermaid dress with pleats & ruffles (but no beads or lace) and I will have the top made into a sweetheart, have the side taken in, and have it hemmed.  Am I looking at $100 or $300 here?

Originally Posted by JoanneIreland 

Eun-sil, I love your dress! It's so beautiful. It's amazing how you think you want one style and end up with another. If I had that dress at home I'd be wearing it every day, lol!

Courtney, I think it really depends on the store, the details of the dress, and how much alterations you need, but I think about $300 is more in the ball park. Mine is NOT a corset back so I will need to have the sides altered, probably a hem, and a bustle and I am anticpiating around $300. I wanted a sweetheart too but the bridal store was able to order this way so it saved me some money (the dress i wanted wasn't sweetheart, but there was something similar that was, so they had the designer make it with the bottom of the one I liked, and then make it with the top of the other dress).

I should have my first fitting on September 15th, which I don't think is too far in advance. I'd rather have the first one as soon as I can, and the last one as close to the date as possible. So when I go in on the 15th I'll probably wait about 3 weeks before going back again.

Happy Friday everyone!

#264 clgriffi7

clgriffi7
        • Banned
        • 630 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

We are already starting to see some of the rain from Irene here in Central NC - we should start getting the wind this far inland early morning.

I am taking my dress to an independnet seamstress, so I hope to get a better "deal", but with all of the things I want done I think $300 is still the better bet.  Oh well :-(

Originally Posted by Pucca 

Thank you ladies!

Joanne: It's actually a lot of what I had been hoping to find but never thought I would. I've been tempted to wear it every day. I tried it on again yesterday but had to give in to no more trying on because I can't exactly zip it up myself. And I don't want to get it dirty before the wedding. lol!

Courtney: I don't know where you're taking your dress to be altered but they told me at the salon where I bought my dress that it would be $150 for bustle and hem; additional charges for other things (I imagine if I needed to have it taken in or such). My friend bought her wedding dress and they were charging her $300 I think for hem, bustle, and sweetheart neckline. So I think it's quite a range depending upon what needs to be done, the particular dress, and where you take it. I think $300 seems to be more the ball-park for the alterations you mentioned. And if you're having a bridal portrait session mid-October, no it's not too early to start getting alterations done.

TGIF to all of you too! I'm going to go prepare for this potential hurricane.....Yikes!

#265 carrieb258

carrieb258
          • 216 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hi girls, 

I just had to come on and share my delight with you all. My dress came in last week and I went to try it on again today and oh my word I just love it!!! So happy with it, and to make things even better I have lost a stone since I last tried it on and boy you can tell the difference which I am totally delighted about. Feel so much happier and confident in it! 

It feels incredibly real now - we fly 10 weeks tomorrow and I cannot wait. Now I have only to decide on my hair, I have decided I want some kind of sparkles in my hair - maybe a hair band or a clip. I want to wear my hair half up and I cant make up my mind what would look best? What are you girls doing? 

Hope you are all good xxx

#266 clgriffi7

clgriffi7
            • Banned
            • 630 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Congratulations on getting your dress in and still being in love with it. 

My ceremony location is dictating my hair a bit.  We will be at a very windy gazebo - so my hair will be fully up and I will have a hair flower instead of a veil.  After deciding fully up I had to choose either a tighter style or a more voluminous style.  Because I have a strapless dress and a long neck (my mother used to call me her "giraffe") I think I need a style with a bit more volume to keep it from looking too severe.  So here are pictures I have found that I like:

Hi girls, 

I just had to come on and share my delight with you all. My dress came in last week and I went to try it on again today and oh my word I just love it!!! So happy with it, and to make things even better I have lost a stone since I last tried it on and boy you can tell the difference which I am totally delighted about. Feel so much happier and confident in it! 

It feels incredibly real now - we fly 10 weeks tomorrow and I cannot wait. Now I have only to decide on my hair, I have decided I want some kind of sparkles in my hair - maybe a hair band or a clip. I want to wear my hair half up and I cant make up my mind what would look best? What are you girls doing? 

#267 Pucca

Pucca
              • 485 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Congratulations!! How exciting! Did you post pictures of your dress? 

I haven't made up my mind with my hair either. Considering it'll be quite warm, I wanted to put my hair all up but loose. I also thought about half up. I will decide probably next month after some trials with my friend. 

This is one of the looks I like. 

Hi girls, 

#268 JoanneIreland

JoanneIreland
                • 860 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

Girls, just wanted to let you know I am just home from doing my BD shoot!! My heart is still thumping in my chest and knees still knocking off each other, but all I can say to you is DO IT!!

I was so nervous and was so doubtful about this, but glad I went through with it (hope I say the same when I see the pics, LOL!).

It's really suitable for any bride, any shape, size, age ..... it's just a lovely thing to do for yourself, and I can't wait to make the photo book to surprise my fiance on the morning of our wedding :-)

PS : Love all the hair do's above, they are so lovely.

#269 carrieb258

carrieb258
                  • 216 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

Wow that must have been so exciting Joanne - bet he'll just love it! 

Thanks for your inspiration girls, so hard making the decision. I wonder where you go to buy hair accessories? 

#270 clgriffi7

clgriffi7
                    • Banned
                    • 630 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

I am proud of you for being able to do a BD shoot!!  I don't think I would have the cajones to do either the shoot or present my fiance with the book.  Can you say insecurities?  :-)

Originally Posted by JoanneIreland 

Girls, just wanted to let you know I am just home from doing my BD shoot!! My heart is still thumping in my chest and knees still knocking off each other, but all I can say to you is DO IT!!

I was so nervous and was so doubtful about this, but glad I went through with it (hope I say the same when I see the pics, LOL!).

It's really suitable for any bride, any shape, size, age ..... it's just a lovely thing to do for yourself, and I can't wait to make the photo book to surprise my fiance on the morning of our wedding :-)

PS : Love all the hair do's above, they are so lovely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users