November 2011 Brides (or Grooms)

On a lighter note - and in my attempt to just pretend that nothing is wrong and everything will happen as planned - I am going to try and post my planning thread tonight.  It will be obnoxiously long, as I have been writing it in Word files throughout my engagement.  Don't be surprised when you see that "Leigh" is not my first name, it is my middle name....

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by leigh2011 View Post

I am right there with you on the hurricane stess as well as the packing stress.  I am literally stalking the weather.com website to see the track of the storm (living in NC, I am used to waiting for every update on the projected storm path).  I really want to be excited about my trip and my wedding, but I know I won't be until after the storm passes and I hear that things have returned to normal down there.  This morning I got an email from my fiance/husband apologizing for not helping more and saying he just feels like he is in the way.  That email made me feel really bad because I know that means I must be taking some of my stress out on him.

As for the packing - I thought I had finished all of the wedding stuff packing (OOT bags, linens, sand ceremony, etc.) into 2 bags so I was pretty proud of myself.  Then I weighed the bags and one of them was more than 10 lbs overweight.  Grrrr...  So then I had to repack and that just ticked me off.  So starting probably tomorrow night I will begin packing the vacation stuff like clothes, sunscreen, etc.  Last night I told my fiance he has to pack this weekend instead of Tuesday night (night before we leave) like he would normally do because I need to know ahead of time if things won't fit or if we need to switch weight around (not to mention wash anything that isn't clean).  He started to pout about having to pack ahead of time until I gave him "the look", at which point he gave in and agreed.  Don't mess with a woman who has been planning for a year and a half and is stressed that the whole event might not happen....

THIS MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD...LITERALLY!!  Too funny and so true.  I know that is going to be me in a few weeks.  Just giving him that "look" and not even needing to say anything.  He knows me so well that he will know what I mean when I give it.  evil.gif

I am going to start pulling out all the OOT bag stuff and seeing what it all looks like.  I've done things in little spurts so I need to figure out everything I really have.  Then I'll see if it all fits in one suitcase which I think it will. 

I really need to send out the pre-travel brochures and luggage tags. Geez I'm slacking!!

I tested out my centerpieces with the table runners, napkins, sashes and two place settings last night.  Finally looks good.  It was hard for me to envision what it would look like together without actually seeing it.  Now I am happy!!

What do you think?  Is it enough?  There will probably be two to a table.

There is a turquoise LED light in the vase that will look good at night time.  It's hard to see it in  the pic.

DSCN2818-x.jpg

Taryn -

I think your table looks great.  I wish I would have thought of setting up a table and taking pictures before I packed everything away - ooops.  Too much effort to get it packed, so it sure ain't comin' out now!  The wedding coordinator may have to make due with a hand drawing - haha (if you knew my artistic skills you would laugh too).

For everybody-

How much luggage do you think you and your fiance will be taking?

Our plan is to check two large rolling suitcases (1 of clothes + 1 of wedding gear) and one large duffle bag (non-breakable OOT stuff).  I will carry-on my dress as well as an over-the-shoulder overnight type bag (I don't want to fight with the dress in one hand and rolling a carry-on in the other hand).  My fiance will wear our SLR camera backpack and roll a carry-on.  And this is with us just paying the resort for centerpieces.  I will say we love the duffle bag idea because we won't be bringing back OOT items, so the duffle bag can get folded up and brought back in one of the suitcases.  Some other items won't be making the return trip either, like gifts, sunscreen, the wedding paper goods (programs, etc), so I am hoping there will be room to fold up my wedding dress and shove it in a suitcase on the way home.  The dress will have to be dry-cleaned anyway, so why not try and avoid lugging in through the airport on the way home.

Originally Posted by leigh2011 View Post

Taryn -

I think your table looks great.  I wish I would have thought of setting up a table and taking pictures before I packed everything away - ooops.  Too much effort to get it packed, so it sure ain't comin' out now!  The wedding coordinator may have to make due with a hand drawing - haha (if you knew my artistic skills you would laugh too).

For everybody-

How much luggage do you think you and your fiance will be taking?

Our plan is to check two large rolling suitcases (1 of clothes + 1 of wedding gear) and one large duffle bag (non-breakable OOT stuff).  I will carry-on my dress as well as an over-the-shoulder overnight type bag (I don't want to fight with the dress in one hand and rolling a carry-on in the other hand).  My fiance will wear our SLR camera backpack and roll a carry-on.  And this is with us just paying the resort for centerpieces.  I will say we love the duffle bag idea because we won't be bringing back OOT items, so the duffle bag can get folded up and brought back in one of the suitcases.  Some other items won't be making the return trip either, like gifts, sunscreen, the wedding paper goods (programs, etc), so I am hoping there will be room to fold up my wedding dress and shove it in a suitcase on the way home.  The dress will have to be dry-cleaned anyway, so why not try and avoid lugging in through the airport on the way home.

Thanks hun!!  We are doing the same with the duffle bags.  Stuffing it full of wedding stuff that is non-breakable and we can just fold it up and put it in the suitcase on the way home.  I am hoping to have one suitcase of clothes for me and FI together (haha) and then another with the wedding stuff.  And then a carry-on suitcase (as large as I can get it) and my dress for me and then 2 other carry-ons for him.  We should be ok.  I hope.  I am just thinking about it but have no clue how it will all end up once I actually start packing.

My suggestion is to pack at least a few days in advance so you can see if it will all 1) fit in the suitcases and 2) not go overweight!  (those linens get heavy!)

Originally Posted by sxcT View Post

Thanks hun!!  We are doing the same with the duffle bags.  Stuffing it full of wedding stuff that is non-breakable and we can just fold it up and put it in the suitcase on the way home.  I am hoping to have one suitcase of clothes for me and FI together (haha) and then another with the wedding stuff.  And then a carry-on suitcase (as large as I can get it) and my dress for me and then 2 other carry-ons for him.  We should be ok.  I hope.  I am just thinking about it but have no clue how it will all end up once I actually start packing.

Taryn, love your table settings!

Courtney, post that planning thread, can't wait to see!!

For luggage, we are a disaster!! Mind you we are going for 3 weeks (that's my excuse to justify it anyways), so I have a suitcase full of my stuff and Mike has a duffle bag full of his, plus we now have 2 huge suitcases filled to the brim with wedding stuff. We are on the same flight as my mum and dad (who hopefully will have one bag between them), and my sister and niece (again hoping and praying they have one bag between them), so that would mean 6 people - 6 bags. JetBlue allows one bag per person anways, so the only concern is overweight charges, and trust me I reckon every bag will be overwright!! My sister is a flight attendant with an international airline that is partnered with JetBlue so I told her to flash her ID badge in the hopes it might save us any charges, LOL! Cost wise everything is spiraling out of control so I'll take the savings anywhere I can get them!!

I pick up my wedding dress tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have most of the wedding stuff packed up and started packing my own vacation stuff.

I have to finish a few more DIY things (but if I don't get to them I won't loose any sleep), my wedding band is in so we have to go pick that up and whilst there get my E-Ring dipped and cleaned, need to apply for marriage license, and do a few other small bits and pieces which seems to be the hardest thing to take care of all those little things.

Oh and I know I've mentioned it at least a 100 times, but i have to do my music playlist!! I have a lot done on paper, now I need to spend an evening downloading all the songs from ITunes and getting them onto iPod.

The house is a MESS, so need to get that organized too. My family fly in from Ireland on Tuesday so wanted to get that done Sunday and Monday, but mum just called and said she is sending dad over a few days early so he is coming Saturday. Everything is just manic!! A couple of weeks ago I saw a Groupon for 3 hours of house cleaning and I was tempted to buy it. Man am I sorry I didn't, that would have been a nice luxury!

Joanne -

Going for 3 weeks definitely justifies a full checked bag each.  I am wondering if Paul & I will be able to get everything into 1 and we are only going for 8 nights.  However, he is being a complete boy and trying to bring nothing but t-shirts.  Just remember that shoes are heavy so try and cut back on the number of pairs you take.  Also once you have everything pulled out (clothes and wedding stuff), try swapping some of the items in the suitcases to even out the weight while keeping them full.  That is what we are having to do :-(

It sounds like, with the exception of cleaning, that you pretty much have everything under control.  I am with you on the cleaning - I have to clean mine for his parents and the dog sitter - who wants to clean when you are thinking about your wedding?

Ladies -

So I am taking the stressing down at least one notch at the moment.  I just looked on weather.com and Rina has been downgraded from a Category 2 with 110 mph winds (with expectations of making it to Category 3) to a Category 1 with 85 mph winds (and expectations of being near 75 mph when it reaches Cancun).  We get quite a few hurricanes along the coast of NC and there is a HUGE difference in the damage a Category 1 storms does compared to a Category 3.  Now if they could just agree on the future path of the storm such that it doesn't double back and sit off of the Yucatan, that would be nice.