November 2011 Brides (or Grooms)

Sorry to hear about your Expedia drama.  I usually use travel websites but this time I booked directly with AA to make sure we had no issues and I am so glad I did with all these stories I keep hearing.  We are doing connecting flights and even though lost luggage is a concern I figured we could manage.  Pack the most important wedding items in your carry-ons, also throw in a bathing suit, meds, an outfit and all your paperwork and you will be set for a day of two if the worst happens.  Also, I read some traveling tips that suggested packing half your stuff in your bag and the other half in your FIs and vice versa.  That way you are both covered if one goes missing.  I also told all my BMs that they HAVE to carry their dresses on board with them but I think I might just hang them in with my dress to make it easier and give them room for an extra carry-on....hopefully filled with my stuff. :)

Originally Posted by JoanneIreland View Post

Expedia SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to say that because I've booked with them so much in the past and never had a problem, but was pre-warned that it was only a mattter of time!! Should have went with an agent when it came to our wedding.

Anyways, bottom line .......... JetBlue cancelled direct flights on Mondays which is what we were booked for, so offered to change us to a layover flight the same day (which we definitely do not want, terrified of loosing luggage containing wedding items), or going on the direct flight the previous day but we have to pay for the extra night accomodation ($350) and Expedia are still not able to confirm if we will have to pay money or not to the day earlier. I spoke to 5 different people (oh the transfers!!) and they all had a different story. SIGH!!

I definitely was upset with this unforeseen issue today, but I just said to my fiance - hey if this is the biggest obstacle for us, then you know what we are going good! Trying to look on the positive!

I had a bit of build up pi$$ed off energy so used that to do a DIY task and did my "bubble tags". At least I got something done whilst I was on the phone for 2.5 hours! Then poured a glass of wine and finished the rest of the bubble tags.

LOL, I wished we all love by each other so we could do massive DIY tasks in one!!

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - JetBlue screwed your entire family!!!  Your resort should be getting some sort of kickback from the airline on this one...

I read a random comment online that says a good rule of thumb is 2 bottles of lotion per person for a 7-day trip.  So, if you count the 3 spray cans = 1 bottle comment I also found online, I will be bringing the equivalent of 6 bottles or 3 bottles per person for 8 days.  And that doesn't even count the excursion sunscreen.

Right now I am expecting for my fiance and I to have 4 checked bags (so 2 free and 2 paid) for our trip.  He seems to think that we can do it in 3.  I have already packed up the OOT bag items (minus the welcome letter and itinerary) into one really large duffle bag.  The idea with that one is to either leave it in Mexico or to flatten it and put it in the bottom of one of the other bags on the way back so we don't get charged a fee for it.  I think I will have one other large suitcase to check of wedding stuff - this would have been more but I decided I would rtaher pay for centerpieces at the resort (we will only have 4 guest tables) than worry about getting items there in one piece.  So my fiance thinks we can get all of our clothing into one suitcase, I am thinking 2.  We will see who is right.  I am really hoping there will be enough empty space in a bag on the way back to fold my dress and check it instead of lugging it through the airport.  Fingers crossed.  I think I would even rather pay the baggage fee ($25 or $30) for the duffle bag on the way back than to have to carry that dress again. 

Joanne - it seems that you will be staying at your resort for a long time, so I can imagine you will have a lot of luggage.

Thanks Courtney! I'm not too happy with JetBlue and Expedia, but hey no point worrying about something that is outside my control, have enough of other things to worry about instead!! I think we are going to just go a day earlier and fork out the money for an extra night. My parents, sister and niece are flying in from Ireland to Boston a week before the wedding, and were booked on the same flight as us, so they are in the same boat too and have to pay for the extra night. Mike's parents and sister are booked on the flight the following Monday, so they now have to pay extra night too so we are all getting screwed!

I finished all the tags for the bubble wands last night and they look so cute! I also started working on my DIY parasol.I definitely wish there were other destination brides around me so we could have a huge DIY party with loads of wine, haha! Same as you, everyone saying they'd help but of course no one does! Thank God I was with my family at the time of the DIY invites because I would have went stir crazy doing them alone!

Wow Courtney that's a lot of sunscreen! I started buying sunscreens and aftersun lotions too (pick them up if I see them on sale), and am concerned about the weight. I can't even begin to imagine how much baggage we are going to have and how much it's going to cost!!

LOL, yeah we will be gone a while. I am taking just over 4 weeks off work, we will be at our wedding hotel for 13 nights (was supposed to be 12!), and then 6 nights at our honeymoon resort. Thank God it's a sun destination and not a winter one, could you imagine how many bags of clothes I'd have for that??!! So happy bikini's don't take up much room! I literally have a bikini for every day, LOL, and clothes wise I will have to recyle some evening wear but I don't mind. What's going to get me is stuff like the suncreen, aftersun, shampoo & conditioner, cleanser, moisturizer, etc ......

I also have an obsession with shoes and bags, so am trying to be good and bring the minimum, so one silver sandal and one gold I'm thinking. I'm debating bringing running shoes and workout clothes. I don't want to waste the room if I don't use them, which I never would do on holidays, but at the same time I am worried with all that all inclusive food and booze, what if my dress won't fit me!!

That is awesome!!  I kept telling my bosses I was taking the whole month of November off but its only going to be 2 weeks LOL.  I am so jealous of you.

I know I'll be bringing workout clothes/shoes to use the first few days.  My plan is to pack my wedding dress, workout shoes and clothes and anything else I won't need after the wedding in a suitcase and send them back with my mom/sister.  A lot less to worry about on the honeymoon. :)

LOL, yeah we will be gone a while. I am taking just over 4 weeks off work, we will be at our wedding hotel for 13 nights (was supposed to be 12!), and then 6 nights at our honeymoon resort. Thank God it's a sun destination and not a winter one, could you imagine how many bags of clothes I'd have for that??!! So happy bikini's don't take up much room! I literally have a bikini for every day, LOL, and clothes wise I will have to recyle some evening wear but I don't mind. What's going to get me is stuff like the suncreen, aftersun, shampoo & conditioner, cleanser, moisturizer, etc ......

I also have an obsession with shoes and bags, so am trying to be good and bring the minimum, so one silver sandal and one gold I'm thinking. I'm debating bringing running shoes and workout clothes. I don't want to waste the room if I don't use them, which I never would do on holidays, but at the same time I am worried with all that all inclusive food and booze, what if my dress won't fit me!!

4 weeks?!!  I am so jealous.  I only get 15 days from my job for the year...

For 20 nights you will need a lot more of those heavy items - but it would be so worth it to have 20 days!!!  Not sure about JetBlue, but my baggage fee is either $25 or $30 and I bet if you pay for an extra bag, even if it were just for your sunscreen, you will make that back by not buying just a single bottle from the resort.  When I was last in Cancun I remember seeing sunscreen for >$25 (rip-off).

One of the items lots of brides talked about in the "What I would and wouldn't do again" thread is to not bring so many pairs of shoes.  They all say that they brought heels and ended up only wearing their sandals.

I definitely plan on bringing gym clothes!  Whenever I go to an all-inclusive or on a cruise, the only way I don't feel guilty and can really indulge myself is to work out on the days when it is possible.  I will be at my resort for 7 full days and I plan on taking 4 or 5 sets of gym clothes.  I try and work out right after I get up so I don't feel like I am missing a part of the day.  And after working out so much before the wedding to fit in my dress and look decent in a bathing suit I would hate to ruin all of that hard work.  But I will say that I don't do a hard workout - just something to burn say 200 calories or so (even walking a couple of miles on the treadmill which would only take 30 minutes).

Joanne, so sorry to hear about everything that has gone on with Expedia and all. So much unnecessary stress and $$. But I'm glad you're looking on the positive side and was productive with all that pent-up ticked-off-ness. :) smile03.gif

I've heard many things about Expedia recently and have decided not to make any reservations through them for the wedding. A few months ago my friend made a reservation for a hotel near NYC through Expedia; then she called the hotel directly just to inquire about something, and there was no answer. She tried multiple times and then googled the hotel as well. Apparently it no longer existed....

Wow. 4 weeks is nice! Good luck on the rest of your DIY stuff!

Expedia SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to say that because I've booked with them so much in the past and never had a problem, but was pre-warned that it was only a mattter of time!! Should have went with an agent when it came to our wedding.

Anyways, bottom line .......... JetBlue cancelled direct flights on Mondays which is what we were booked for, so offered to change us to a layover flight the same day (which we definitely do not want, terrified of loosing luggage containing wedding items), or going on the direct flight the previous day but we have to pay for the extra night accomodation ($350) and Expedia are still not able to confirm if we will have to pay money or not to the day earlier. I spoke to 5 different people (oh the transfers!!) and they all had a different story. SIGH!!

I definitely was upset with this unforeseen issue today, but I just said to my fiance - hey if this is the biggest obstacle for us, then you know what we are going good! Trying to look on the positive!

I had a bit of build up pi$$ed off energy so used that to do a DIY task and did my "bubble tags". At least I got something done whilst I was on the phone for 2.5 hours! Then poured a glass of wine and finished the rest of the bubble tags.

LOL, I wished we all love by each other so we could do massive DIY tasks in one!!

Ok you girls are making me feel guilty - running shoes and work out clothes just got added to my "To Pack" list!!

sxcT - I like your idea to let family bring stuff home for you, am going to do that too, thanks!! Better than lugging it to our honeymoon resort too, plus my family are going to my house in Boston after Mexico and will be still there when we get back.

Pucca - yes I went to town last night with the DIY stuff with an that pent up emotions!!

Thanks to everyone for your support!!

Anyone's house starting to look like a factory? I feel like I have wedding stuff and projects everywhere, LOL! And I'm now on first name basis with my UPS guy, he's been here so many times! Don't know what we did before online shopping!

Haha mine house is a disaster! Boxes of wedding stuff everywhere! I have ordered most things online too (why leave the house to shop? lol) so I am running to the post office a few times a week. 

Anyone's house starting to look like a factory? I feel like I have wedding stuff and projects everywhere, LOL! And I'm now on first name basis with my UPS guy, he's been here so many times! Don't know what we did before online shopping!

Expedia / JetBlue fiasco updates :
---------------------------------------

So after discussing with my fiancé, we decided to pay the $300+ for an extra night and opt with traveling a day earlier on the direct flight, rather than deal with a layover.

I called back Expedia this evening for this purpose and just spent almost 2.5 hours on phone (about 90% of that on hold!!), and spoke to a lovely guy called Larson. I explained the situation and told him rather than connecting flights on our original date, we would pay for the extra night and go on direct flight the day before.

When I called yesterday I was transferred between 5 different people, and even though I already asked and was told no, I still asked Larson the same question - due to the inconvenience caused perhaps JetBlue would change us to direct flights on the way home also???? We had originally just booked direct to Cancun, but as we werenâ€t as fussy on the way back and saved a bunch of money we booked flying back via Fort Lauderdale rather than the direct. Larson said he would call JetBlue and check, and although I waited on hold for ages, he checked back with me every so often to let me know he was himself on hold (my faith in Expedia was returning at this point).

After a very painful wait, Larson came back on the line and told me YES they will change us without charge to the direct flight on the way home!!!!! It really does go to show that your opinion of a company (negative or positive) can come down to one person. After 5 awful representatives yesterday, this one guy changed my whole view! Courtney I know you mentioned earlier that you had a change with Expedia that you werenâ€t supposed to be charged for and were, so will be tracking closely myself thanks for knowing your experience!

So on top of the return flight change to direct instead of layover, Larson said he wanted to give me a coupon (I asked all 5 yesterday if they could discount the hotel room for me considering the situation and they all said no). I expected this coupon could only be used for a future Expedia reservation, and as Iâ€m sitting there on the phone  wondering where weâ€ll use it, Larson says “so with the coupon your extra night is $221â€!! Seriously, this guy rocks! I asked him if I could fill out a customer service survey, send email, talk to his boss …. Etc …. Man was he happy! His boss however was on “lunch†(where are they located??), and I said it was OK to have her call me back when she returns. He made my day and I am happy to say I think O made his! Waiting on the call back and canâ€t wait to sing his praises!

So yes we have to spend $221 more than we anticipated, but for that we get an extra night in paradise and get a nice short non-stop flight back to Boston J Big point to make – when we originally booked, the cost of us getting the non-stop flight back was working out way more than $221, so now we are getting that plus an extra night. Silver lining in every cloud!! Yes, I was stressed and upset yesterday, glad I was able to look at it being not the end of the world, focus my frustration on DIY, and in the end it worked out even though costing us a bit more.

I feel like I had a very lucky day and outcome so want to send my good luck wishes to all you other November brides!! Also a big thanks to being able to vent here. As soon as I typed up my venting post here yesterday I almost immediately felt better. Does that sound odd?

That is fantastic!! It just goes to show that one kind act can really turn someone's day/experience around AND blossom into something more!! Man I could give this Larson a hug!! What a great turn of events in spite of all that transpired previously! So happy for you!! pinkie.gif

And no, it doesn't sound odd that you felt better after typing up the venting post. It helps to get it off your chest; whether or not it's posted somewhere or emailed to someone, I find it cathartic to write things down. 

And yeah, the dedicated corner for wedding projects is overflowing. On top of it all, I picked my dress up today and that sucker is huge! I don't think it'll fit in my closet. Oi.

Expedia / JetBlue fiasco updates :
---------------------------------------

So after discussing with my fiancé, we decided to pay the $300+ for an extra night and opt with traveling a day earlier on the direct flight, rather than deal with a layover.

I called back Expedia this evening for this purpose and just spent almost 2.5 hours on phone (about 90% of that on hold!!), and spoke to a lovely guy called Larson. I explained the situation and told him rather than connecting flights on our original date, we would pay for the extra night and go on direct flight the day before.

When I called yesterday I was transferred between 5 different people, and even though I already asked and was told no, I still asked Larson the same question - due to the inconvenience caused perhaps JetBlue would change us to direct flights on the way home also???? We had originally just booked direct to Cancun, but as we werenâ€t as fussy on the way back and saved a bunch of money we booked flying back via Fort Lauderdale rather than the direct. Larson said he would call JetBlue and check, and although I waited on hold for ages, he checked back with me every so often to let me know he was himself on hold (my faith in Expedia was returning at this point).

After a very painful wait, Larson came back on the line and told me YES they will change us without charge to the direct flight on the way home!!!!! It really does go to show that your opinion of a company (negative or positive) can come down to one person. After 5 awful representatives yesterday, this one guy changed my whole view! Courtney I know you mentioned earlier that you had a change with Expedia that you werenâ€t supposed to be charged for and were, so will be tracking closely myself thanks for knowing your experience!

So on top of the return flight change to direct instead of layover, Larson said he wanted to give me a coupon (I asked all 5 yesterday if they could discount the hotel room for me considering the situation and they all said no). I expected this coupon could only be used for a future Expedia reservation, and as Iâ€m sitting there on the phone  wondering where weâ€ll use it, Larson says “so with the coupon your extra night is $221â€!! Seriously, this guy rocks! I asked him if I could fill out a customer service survey, send email, talk to his boss …. Etc …. Man was he happy! His boss however was on “lunch†(where are they located??), and I said it was OK to have her call me back when she returns. He made my day and I am happy to say I think O made his! Waiting on the call back and canâ€t wait to sing his praises!

So yes we have to spend $221 more than we anticipated, but for that we get an extra night in paradise and get a nice short non-stop flight back to Boston J Big point to make – when we originally booked, the cost of us getting the non-stop flight back was working out way more than $221, so now we are getting that plus an extra night. Silver lining in every cloud!! Yes, I was stressed and upset yesterday, glad I was able to look at it being not the end of the world, focus my frustration on DIY, and in the end it worked out even though costing us a bit more.

I feel like I had a very lucky day and outcome so want to send my good luck wishes to all you other November brides!! Also a big thanks to being able to vent here. As soon as I typed up my venting post here yesterday I almost immediately felt better. Does that sound odd?