November 2011 Brides (or Grooms)

Does your resort happen to offer a steaming service for your dress?  I plan on just taking my dress on the plane in the dress bag with full knowledge that I may have to fold it over in an overhead bin.  Luckily my resort includes a dress steaming in the package I am purcahsing.  Best of luck.  Don't let this stress you out too much! 

Originally Posted by angi111111 View Post

so, I just heard back from US airways... I emailed to ask what the policy was on carrying on a wedding dress...I got a very nice reply saying that there is no room to lay a dress in the overhead and they do not have closet space anymore on planes. They suggested a standard 45" garment bag folded in half is the best option. blink.gif

Ugh! something new to stress about!!   

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thatswck.gif I hope that's not the standard policy for all airlines.... wacko.gif Maybe they're supposed to say that but when you get to the airport they'll be nicer?

Originally Posted by angi111111 View Post

so, I just heard back from US airways... I emailed to ask what the policy was on carrying on a wedding dress...I got a very nice reply saying that there is no room to lay a dress in the overhead and they do not have closet space anymore on planes. They suggested a standard 45" garment bag folded in half is the best option. blink.gif

Ugh! something new to stress about!!  

Girls I am having a mini break down right now ..... just found out that JetBlue (only ones with direct flights on Mondays) has cancelled their Monday flight. There are no direct flights on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. On the phone now but looks like our only option is to go a day earlier, and between the price of that flight and the extra night in hotel it is going to cost us almost another $1,000. I just want to curl up in a ball. And what sucks is the airline never contacted us!!!!!!! We only found out when a guest tried to book same flight and was informed that they cancelled the Monday flights!!!!!!!!!!! I am on the verge of tears.

That is crazy!!!!  How could they not contact you to tell you that your flight had been cancelled?!

Is there an option of getting your money back (as they are the ones that cancelled the flight) and taking a non-direct flight with another airline?  I know have a lay-over isn't ideal but if it can save you $1000....

Originally Posted by JoanneIreland View Post

Girls I am having a mini break down right now ..... just found out that JetBlue (only ones with direct flights on Mondays) has cancelled their Monday flight. There are no direct flights on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. On the phone now but looks like our only option is to go a day earlier, and between the price of that flight and the extra night in hotel it is going to cost us almost another $1,000. I just want to curl up in a ball. And what sucks is the airline never contacted us!!!!!!! We only found out when a guest tried to book same flight and was informed that they cancelled the Monday flights!!!!!!!!!!! I am on the verge of tears.

Spoke to someone and she put me on hold, been on phone for 40 minutes now and still don't know what our options are. I am sick to my stomach right now. We worked all of our dates around making sure we had direct flights for two reasons - ONE wanted to minimize the risk of loosing bags with a layover, couldn't risk it with all the wedding stuff (we didn't care about the way back), and TWO, my fiance's mum has NEVER been on a plane. She threatened not to go to our wedding in Ireland, so we chose Mexico because it was a shorter flight, and originally looked at driving her to Florida and taking cruise to Riviera Maya from there. There is absolutely NO WAY we'll get her to take a connecting flight. Money is very tight for his family so they also can't afford an extra night by going a day earlier. This is a total disaster!!

Omigosh I'm so sorry!! I hope everything works out - keep us posted.

One of our guests' flights were cancelled too - Expedia called to inform them and let them know that it would be another $600 per person to switch to another flight so now they might now come at all. Unfortunately, it seems these flight cancellations are unavoidable and just add to more stress, which is the last thing we need!!

Spoke to someone and she put me on hold, been on phone for 40 minutes now and still don't know what our options are. I am sick to my stomach right now. We worked all of our dates around making sure we had direct flights for two reasons - ONE wanted to minimize the risk of loosing bags with a layover, couldn't risk it with all the wedding stuff (we didn't care about the way back), and TWO, my fiance's mum has NEVER been on a plane. She threatened not to go to our wedding in Ireland, so we chose Mexico because it was a shorter flight, and originally looked at driving her to Florida and taking cruise to Riviera Maya from there. There is absolutely NO WAY we'll get her to take a connecting flight. Money is very tight for his family so they also can't afford an extra night by going a day earlier. This is a total disaster!!

Expedia SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to say that because I've booked with them so much in the past and never had a problem, but was pre-warned that it was only a mattter of time!! Should have went with an agent when it came to our wedding.

Anyways, bottom line .......... JetBlue cancelled direct flights on Mondays which is what we were booked for, so offered to change us to a layover flight the same day (which we definitely do not want, terrified of loosing luggage containing wedding items), or going on the direct flight the previous day but we have to pay for the extra night accomodation ($350) and Expedia are still not able to confirm if we will have to pay money or not to the day earlier. I spoke to 5 different people (oh the transfers!!) and they all had a different story. SIGH!!

I definitely was upset with this unforeseen issue today, but I just said to my fiance - hey if this is the biggest obstacle for us, then you know what we are going good! Trying to look on the positive!

I had a bit of build up pi$$ed off energy so used that to do a DIY task and did my "bubble tags". At least I got something done whilst I was on the phone for 2.5 hours! Then poured a glass of wine and finished the rest of the bubble tags.

LOL, I wished we all love by each other so we could do massive DIY tasks in one!!

Definitely sounds like you needed the wine!  I know what you mean - it would be a lot of fun to hang out with other DW brides and work on all of the DIY projects.  Friends and family keep saying they want to help but oddly they never seem to show up when there is crafting to be done.  At this point I have just stopped asking and have decided that it will just be a surprise to all of them.  Is it bad that the person who knows the most about my wedding plans is my coworker that I have only known for a few months.  She is honestly the only one that really seems interested.  I think she knows even more than my fiance since I have quite a few secrets I am keeping from him.

Joanne - I feel just a tiny bit of your pain as we have had our Expedia moment with this wedding as well.  We booked the flights for my fiance's parents (as they do not even own a computer) through Expedia to fly from Raleigh/Durham through Atlanta to Cancun.  Well, we booked and paid and thought all was well until I asked my fiance to forward me the flight info from his account so I can keep track of it.  When my fiance went into his account, Expedia had somehow missed a leg of the trip so his parents were flying from Atlanta to Cancun and back from Cancun through Atlanta to Raleigh.  My fiance had to stay on the phone with them for quite a while to ask how we could have even done that on a single itinerary if we had tried.  They finally told him it was all fixed and sent him an email with the correct itinerary.  Several months go by and I decide to check their itinerary on AirTran's website.  I pull up the itinerary and it says the fligths could not be ticketed because of an outstanding balance.  Apparently when Expeida added the extra flight leg back in it incurred a charge that they had not paid for.  After long phone calls to both Airtran and Expedia, I think it is now worked out.  But it just pisses me off because Expedia said everything was okay but the Airtran lady said that my fiance's parents would not have been able to board the plane with that outstanding balance.

I wish you the best of luck and think it is great that you are trying to find the positive in the situation.  Whether you end up with a lay-over or pay the extra to stay another day, it will all work out in the end and you will have a wonderful trip and a beautiful wedding.

Expedia SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to say that because I've booked with them so much in the past and never had a problem, but was pre-warned that it was only a mattter of time!! Should have went with an agent when it came to our wedding.

Anyways, bottom line .......... JetBlue cancelled direct flights on Mondays which is what we were booked for, so offered to change us to a layover flight the same day (which we definitely do not want, terrified of loosing luggage containing wedding items), or going on the direct flight the previous day but we have to pay for the extra night accomodation ($350) and Expedia are still not able to confirm if we will have to pay money or not to the day earlier. I spoke to 5 different people (oh the transfers!!) and they all had a different story. SIGH!!

I definitely was upset with this unforeseen issue today, but I just said to my fiance - hey if this is the biggest obstacle for us, then you know what we are going good! Trying to look on the positive!

I had a bit of build up pi$$ed off energy so used that to do a DIY task and did my "bubble tags". At least I got something done whilst I was on the phone for 2.5 hours! Then poured a glass of wine and finished the rest of the bubble tags.

LOL, I wished we all love by each other so we could do massive DIY tasks in one!!

Joanne -  Thinking of you....

Ladies - I am at work and had to listen to a 1-hr web cast so I decided to take one of my "to do" items off of the list "buy biodegradable suncreen" for the excursion we are offering to our guests.  I think I went a bit overboard.  My fiance is going to have a fit when I try to pack all of this sunscreen for the trip.  But I would rather have too much and have to bring some of it back then have to buy it there at double or triple the price.

This is how much I have:

- my fiance and I had already purchased spray sunscreen from BJ's:  3x cans of SPF 30 and 3x cans of SPF 50 (I plan on using 50 before the wedding to make sure I don't burn and then switching to SPF 30 after).  I read that one bottle of lotion equates to about 2 or 3 cans of spray!

- so I bought lotion on amazon.com during the web cast:  1x bottle of SPF 50 and 3x bottles of SPF 30

- and for the excursion, I bought 3x bottles of SPF 30 biodegradable (hoping that will cover ~15 ppl for 1 day)

I just spent $71 for the lotions and I am sure we had previously spent $30-40 on the cans - so we are talking over $100 in sunscreen....eeek.

Thanks Courtney! I'm not too happy with JetBlue and Expedia, but hey no point worrying about something that is outside my control, have enough of other things to worry about instead!! I think we are going to just go a day earlier and fork out the money for an extra night. My parents, sister and niece are flying in from Ireland to Boston a week before the wedding, and were booked on the same flight as us, so they are in the same boat too and have to pay for the extra night. Mike's parents and sister are booked on the flight the following Monday, so they now have to pay extra night too so we are all getting screwed!

I finished all the tags for the bubble wands last night and they look so cute! I also started working on my DIY parasol.I definitely wish there were other destination brides around me so we could have a huge DIY party with loads of wine, haha! Same as you, everyone saying they'd help but of course no one does! Thank God I was with my family at the time of the DIY invites because I would have went stir crazy doing them alone!

Wow Courtney that's a lot of sunscreen! I started buying sunscreens and aftersun lotions too (pick them up if I see them on sale), and am concerned about the weight. I can't even begin to imagine how much baggage we are going to have and how much it's going to cost!!