Reception or Not?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 atwooki

• 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have heard of some brides that forgo a separate "traditional" reception and just hang out and enjoy the live entertainment that is provided at the resort. I am wondering what others on this site are doing.. I am pretty low key and didn't necessarily want to set up a whole big shebang for about 23 people.
    We were thinking of the wedding at 4pm
    Bride and groom take pictures while guests go to a designated place to look at pictures of us and mingle a bit
    We return and have a toast with the guests
    Go to dinner at bout 6 30 or 7 and then ? .... Don't know..

I would love to hear your thoughts.

#2 Thomasjsgirl

• 1,098 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Plenty of brides have done exactly that! It's not uncommon at all. Personally, I did have a private reception, but that was just my preference. Being that you're having a DW, you can do whatever you want - there are no rules!!
      Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
      Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
      Leftover Wedding Items FS:

#3 atwooki

• 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thank you! I thought I was sure about it, but the number of guests has increased a little and I don't want them to feel "bored" or something because I am low key and enjoy simple entertainment, etc..

#4 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hey! We only had 9 people travel with us to our wedding in Jamaica. Our ceremony was at 400pm, we had champagne toast with everyone on the beach, did some pictures, then headed up to the lobby piano bar for drinks prior to the reception. Our reception was just dinner at one of the al a carte restaurants -- nothing fancy. I did bring our Bose docking station for my iPod, because I wanted tunes for dinner. We did an informal cake cutting and after dinner some of us went for an alcohol-induced swim in the Caribbean Sea -- myself included. After that I changed into more comfortable clothes and we went to the bar and took in whatever entertainment the resort offered. We had a great time. Do what works for you and your wedding group and good luck!

#5 Martini

• 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

I was thinking of a beach party...not sure if that's an option though...

#6 hat0112

• 1,219 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

We will be having less than 20 people for our wedding. We are having the ceremony at 5:30, then guests can hang out at the bar (no cocktail hour) while we take pictures then have dinner at one of the restaurants at 7pm. After dinner I figured everyone can go to some bar/club place for dancing and more drinks.

If you want a low key dinner then go for it. It doesn’t matter if you have 10 or 100 people at your wedding, do what you and your FI want.
              Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

#7 weddingfavorsguy

• 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Reception or not it will still be a great time!

#8 jaynreneewed

• 184 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

I'm a bride- this only happens once in a lifetime, I'm going all out- a reception is a must

#9 dcjackie

• 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

I would say, yes, reception is a thanks for the guests for being there. I`d have something special for the guests ie nice champagne, appies etc. Have fun planning!

#10 jcruzin76

• 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

My wedding is at 3, so we decided to just have a cocktail hour with a few hor'deuvres and some signature drinks. I just figured since the ceremony was early, the cocktail hour will do. Also, since all my guests are on the AI plan, we can just go eat dinner at the buffet or one of the restaurants for free later that night. And then who knows where the rest of the night will take us, as long as its a fun one and I get to enjoy it with all my close friends and family!
                      Jen & Len
                      May 8th, 2010
                      Montego Bay, Jamaica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users