Photo

Should bridesmaids expect the bride/ groom to pay for thier dress?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mjm

mjm
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

I did not think that there was a rule set in stone which stated that bride/groom should pay for the bridesmaids dress-what is everyone else doing?

#2 roxmysockz

roxmysockz
    • 418 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

I am paying for my bridesmaid dresses and thought you were supposed to - not sure why I thought that tho x

#3 NaM

NaM
      • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

I did not pay for my BM dresses. But I also let them pick their own dresses so they could stay in whatever budget they were comfortable with.

I think traditionally that cost is supposed to be paid by the actual bridesmaid/groomsmen but if you can manage it, it's always a nice gesture that I'm sure they would appreciate.

#4 Shoesiesluvr

Shoesiesluvr
        • 2,727 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

I too began to question myself about this after the dresses were ordered. I just thought that the girls paid for their own dresses, every wedding that i've been in I've purchased my own dress without a complaint. But yeah my girls all paid for their dresses without hesitation, which is why I made sure that they liked their dresses and they can definitely wear out again.
          He's the Ying to my Yang...the Peanut Butter to my Jelly....the Oreo to my Milk...the Cheese on my Pizza...the i to my Phone...the Cream in my Coffee...the Jiggle to my Jell-O...the Star in my Sky...He's my BFF & I married him on 09.25.2010
          My Planning Thread

#5 Sheree10

Sheree10
          • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

I think in most cases, bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. I don;t think there's anything wrong if the bride and groom pay for it but it should be totally up to them. If you want to do something special for them maybe you can take care of something like their accessories, shoes, hair/makeup, spa day or an excursion.
            http://tickers.Ticke....03cf/event.png

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#6 LA923

LA923
            • 200 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Agreed, I don't think it's normal for the bride to pay for the attendants' dresses/suits. It's definitely a nice gesture, but I'm sure they would just appreciate a dress in their budget.

#7 Catalyst

Catalyst
              • 43 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

My 2 cents is that if you are requiring your bridesmaids to wear something specific (Eg. a specific dress from a specific store. ) then it's the bride and groom's responsibility to cover the cost. However if you are cool with letting your BMs pick what they like then I don't see any reason why they shouldn't purchase their own.

If you can afford it buying the bridesmaid's dresses is always a nice thing to do, but weddings are expensive and not everyone can afford to do it.

#8 JENISE

JENISE
                • 652 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

I have my sister as my MOH and I bought her dress! But she's the only girl in my wedding party. Not sure if I would do the same if I had a large wedding party though.

I agree with most of the girls: IF you can, it's a nice gesture but I don't think it's required by any means.

#9 JanineA

JanineA
                  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by NaM
                    I did not pay for my BM dresses. But I also let them pick their own dresses so they could stay in whatever budget they were comfortable with.

I think traditionally that cost is supposed to be paid by the actual bridesmaid/groomsmen but if you can manage it, it's always a nice gesture that I'm sure they would appreciate.
                    I have to agree I am not sure but I know all the weddings I have been in the bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. My bridesmaids are buying their own dresses but I am purchasing their jewelry as my gift to them (I am down to two bridesmaids). I also let them choose the dress since they are spending $1200/pp to attend the wedding I wanted them to have something they were comfortable with pricewise and could wear again. I am sure if it is something you are able to do, buy their dresses for them that is, that is a nice gesture that they would undoubtedly appreciate.

#10 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
                    • Banned
                    • 3,639 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

My BM's picked out their own dress with in reason and they paid for them. I bought their jewlery and other things. Its really up to the bride and groom if you pay or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users