Question about Presentation

I was just wondering what the etiquette is for "Presentation" at an AHR. Normally we figure out the cost of the meal and add a bit more as our gift to the bride and groom. But we are just having a casual BBQ for our party, so should we assume that people won't think they have to do "presentation". I guess I'm wondering if we should put it on the invite, or if that will seem tacky because of the informal venue. I have given this gift at even casual weddings before, but I'm wondering if the DW some how negates the tradition.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

ive always been told that any mention of any gift of any sort in any way on an invitation is a no-no....But, my mom went ahead and printed on the shower invites where we are registered...so i guess people do whatever these days.....

What exactly would you put on your invite? how you word it can make all the difference in tact

we're having an informal AHR (also a BBQ) after returning from mexico. we didn't mention gifts anywhere. we're assuming no one will be giving gifts in mexico - their trip is more than enough of an expense already!

we included a registries tab on our wedding website for those who feel the need to buy gifts but we definitely aren't planning on many of those! we are just looking forward to celebrating with our friends and families!

I am going to be having a casual BBQ for ours as well this summer. I'm definitely not expecting any gifts and am not registering. (The few people that didn't come and wanted to give us gifts already have). My question for you guys is what are you doing at your AHR? I was just thinking to treat it as a party, display our pictures etc. and just have fun. Are you supposed to have a first dance etc ? I'm just so confused as to what were supposed to do at it without it being awkward.

we're just doing an open house style party. i'm not wearing my dress or doing anything formal. i plan to have a slideshow of wedding pictures going in the theater room. we're just going to have bocce ball, etc during the day, lots of food, beer and wine and treat it like a pretty normal party. not very reception-like at all, but just a fun celebration of our marriage! there will be music, of course. so if people want to dance, they can. but there won't be like a first dance or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a BBQ at a park. I had kinda excepted everyone to bring a gift, as if it was a wedding. If they dont, that's fine. I am sure some people wont, as some people don't for weddings. I will not be printing anything about gifts on the invite ,but there is a tab on our website with our registrations. And I am sure our family will get the word out.

I am calling it a "After Mexico, Wedding Recepetion, or Summer Picnic".

I am going to wear my wedding dress, but I also have a knee length dress. It will be casual but I am kinda hoping people will dress as if its a graduation / 1st communion. Not formal / but not wife beaters!

I am not going to have dancing, but I might have classical music playing on an Ipod or hire a string trio as background music.

My location is going to be a local park in June.

Will will have games and such as well for people to play.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We made a small registry. We already live together and have a family but there are still a few things we need or want and some people like looking on a registry to get ideas for what the couple wants (I like registries, anyway). But we prefer presentation. And we're not putting either on the invites, we'll just spread that by word of mouth.

I attended a wedding/reception where the invitations said something like, "The pleasure of your company to celebrate our special day is the only gift desired." My guy and I have been together for almost 15 years and really don't need anything! I was thinking of including that on the
AHR invites and wedding announcements. I'd like the wording to be a little softer though... thoughts?