Photo

Cellphones in Cabo?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 S&S Ho

S&S Ho
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

I'm getting married in Dreams next month, but my guests are finding other hotel options due to Dreams being too expensive. I want them to be able to get hold of my FI and I just in case. Does anyone know if there are any prepaid phones or SIM cards I can purchase to be used in Cabos? I guess I'm just too worried! Thanks!

#2 Jess

Jess
    • 4,455 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

you can get coverage in Mexico on your US cell phone for not much $...give your US phone company a call and see what they offer

#3 S&S Ho

S&S Ho
      • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Jess, but that would mean my guests would have to dial long distance to US from Mexico? Do you know if there are any calling cards around the airport? Thanks again!

#4 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,569 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

It is still cheaper to go US Cell to US Cell than to make local phone calls and be charged by your resort in most cases.

I just added a plan for $5.99 that reduced the international rate and turned my data fetch off. it made for a pretty easy way to communicate and btwm DH and I our bill was only like $30 higher than normal.

#5 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
          • Moderators
          • 25,218 posts
          • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
          • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

my hubby and i always do what erika suggested above before we go to mexico. it REALLY makes things easier! we have sprint and the last time we did it was $4.99. when you get back, you just call back and cancel the addition and your plan will go back to normal.

#6 Bali83

Bali83
          • 221 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Does anyone know if Verizon has coverage in Cabo? I have a family plan, so if I get coverage on all the phones & I want to call my daughter (also in Cabo) how would I dial? Would I have to use the 0 52 11, or just dial the normal area code? And would I have to use that same 05211 if I made local Mexican calls to vendors?

#7 ~Melissa~

~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 8,680 posts
            • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
            • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
            • LocationUtah

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Erika J
            It is still cheaper to go US Cell to US Cell than to make local phone calls and be charged by your resort in most cases.

I just added a plan for $5.99 that reduced the international rate and turned my data fetch off. it made for a pretty easy way to communicate and btwm DH and I our bill was only like $30 higher than normal.
            Good idea! I need to do this for canada as well as Mexico! I have AT&T hope they have something like this

#8 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Bali83
              Does anyone know if Verizon has coverage in Cabo? I have a family plan, so if I get coverage on all the phones & I want to call my daughter (also in Cabo) how would I dial? Would I have to use the 0 52 11, or just dial the normal area code? And would I have to use that same 05211 if I made local Mexican calls to vendors?
              I am not sure how it works for Verizion, but I have AT&T and when i called to add the feature, they gave me detailed instructions on how to dial whom and how to check my voicemail, they even summmarized our discussion with insturctions in an email.

I would call your carrier to find out about the plans and make a decision from there.

it also covered a reduced min rate as well as text message rate.

#9 S&S Ho

S&S Ho
              • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Erika. Called AT&T, and they told me that I just need to include the Mexico Roaming Feature for $4.99/month, and that would reduce the calls to $0.59/min. That's pretty convenient!

#10 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
                • Banned
                • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

We that all the time change our plan when we go on a vacay :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users