Photo

history of the starfish

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jeninesmom

jeninesmom
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

somewhere I saw a cool thing about the history of the starfish. I think it was on a jewelry site. Has anyone seen it? I want it for my welcome brochure.
    My daughter Jenine's wedding, Secrets Capri April 12th 2010 My son Joel's wedding, August 21 2010!

#2 Mere

Mere
    • 729 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

I found one description the other day that I liked-not sure if it is the same as this description:

Starfish: In Christian symbolism the Starfish represents the Virgin Mary (Stella Maris which means Star of the Sea) who lovingly creates safe travel over troubled waters and is also seen as an emblem of salvation during trying times. The star as well as the Starfish are seen as celestial symbols and as such, they represent infinite divine love. In addition to love, the Starfish also holds characteristics such as guidance, vigilance, inspiration, brilliance and intuition.

#3 jeninesmom

jeninesmom
      • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

oooh pretty!

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mere
        I found one description the other day that I liked-not sure if it is the same as this description:

Starfish: In Christian symbolism the Starfish represents the Virgin Mary (Stella Maris which means Star of the Sea) who lovingly creates safe travel over troubled waters and is also seen as an emblem of salvation during trying times. The star as well as the Starfish are seen as celestial symbols and as such, they represent infinite divine love. In addition to love, the Starfish also holds characteristics such as guidance, vigilance, inspiration, brilliance and intuition.

My daughter Jenine's wedding, Secrets Capri April 12th 2010 My son Joel's wedding, August 21 2010!

#4 ellie0717

ellie0717
        • 193 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

This is very neat. I am giving all of my bridesmaids necklaces with a starfish charm and the symbolism is awesome to give to close friends that are there for you thru "troubled times" and what not. I love it!

#5 vlynnw

vlynnw
          • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

I used that exact description and attached it to my MOH's starfish for her bouquet during her wedding, and i'll be using it for my own as well.
            Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#6 KelZavs20

KelZavs20
            • 301 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by ellie0717
              This is very neat. I am giving all of my bridesmaids necklaces with a starfish charm and the symbolism is awesome to give to close friends that are there for you thru "troubled times" and what not. I love it!
              Im doing the same, and the story behind it just made the whole idea so much sweeter!

#7 Miss Lighting Bug

Miss Lighting Bug
              • 162 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Awww how cute
                KB

#8 pinktigerlily

pinktigerlily
                • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Loving it. It has such a beautiful meaning.

#9 lilsarahmae

lilsarahmae
                  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

good to know I am using a starfish in all my planning.

#10 japonick

japonick
                    • 78 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

I found another in addition to the one listed above--

Making a Difference

An old man walked along a shore littered with thousands of starfish, beached and dying after a storm. A young boy was picking them up and tossing them back into the ocean as far as he could. “Why do you bother?” the old man scoffed. “You’re not saving enough to make a difference.” The boy picked up another starfish and sent it soaring into the water, and then he said, “It made a difference to that one!”

You can make a difference every day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users