Photo

Etiquette on cashing a check

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dolfinluck

dolfinluck
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

We just got our first wedding present from FI uncle who is not attending and he send us a check as a wedding present, my question is when should we cash it?

Normally I would say wait until after the wedding but we are over a month half away more like 2 months from the time we would actually cash it. I would hate for him to forget about the money and when we finally do cash it not have enough, which I do not think would happen but when I receive checks I like to deposit them asap so something doesn't happen for the ppl like me that don't balance their checkbooks.

#2 *Karla*

*Karla*
    • 4,854 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Cash it now. If you wait 2 months, he may think you forgot about it, or did not receive it. Also, HE may forget about it.

#3 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, I would def cash it now. I don't know if there is a proper answer etiquette-wise, but I would cash it now b/c it seems to make the most sense.

#4 jk1101

jk1101
        • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Cash it now and send a Thank You.

#5 josietoms

josietoms
          • 765 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

i dont know what the 'official' ettiqute is but i would cash it and seen a thank you note explaining what you have done or will be doing with the money. He obviously knows when your wedding is and has chosen to give you your gift early.
            Josie x

#6 amygirl1169

amygirl1169
            • 653 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

I agree. We got our 1st gift yesterday too and it was from my Grandfather, so I called him first so say thank you and then going to cash it this week.

Then will follow up with a formal thank you letter after the wedding.

#7 sarafish81

sarafish81
              • 353 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

We had a similar situation at my bridal shower where I received a few cheques from people not coming to the wedding. I sent out the thank you cards, and then cashed the cheques. I don't really know what proper etiquette is but it worked for me.

#8 Snickers

Snickers
                • 193 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

Cash them now and send a thank you. Trust me.. Nothing worse then having to tell someone their wedding check bounced. Been there, done that!!!!

#9 Krista_H

Krista_H
                  • 428 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

It might also be nice to let him know it went towards your wedding and he can feel like he was involved.

#10 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 8,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

It is common courtesy to cash a check as soon as you recieve it.

It helps the giver of the gift keep financial track, and it lets them know you received the gift and the check is not in the wrong hands or lost.

Also you will want to send a Thank you right away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users