Photo

Luggage checked arriving in Punta Cana

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 niecimar

niecimar
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Has anyone has there luggage checked and had items taken away upon arrival at the airport in Punta Cana by customs or in the airport they were departing from?

Please share.
    Denise & Ziggy
    June 5, 2010
    http://www.youtube.c..../0/38XwzNwQb-A

#2 tracy0716

tracy0716
    • 431 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

My FI's parents had their bags checked departing from DR and anything over the 3oz liquid rule was taken from them. They had rum and some cream but it was their own fault. On another note my cousins did not have their bags checked when departing and were able to bring back mama juanna with the wine in it. I guess it all depends, the searches are random.

#3 JENISE

JENISE
      • 652 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, I agree with Tracy. All bags are subject to search and it's usually just random. If you're worried about bring an access amount of wedding supplies/favors etc., I'd recommend bringing all receipts with you. Just read your airlines baggage restrictions so you don't have to leave anything behind that you'll really need. Good luck.

#4 Thomasjsgirl

Thomasjsgirl
        • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Re mamajuana -- you actually have to put wine in it, or you won't be allowed to take it out of the country (presuming that you are stopped & searched). The bottle would have to be stored in your luggage as no liquids are allowed in your carry-on.

Debbie's Dominican site has information regarding what you can and cannot take out of DR.
          Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
          Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
          http://bestdestinati....24-08-a-35102/
          Leftover Wedding Items FS:
          http://bestdestinati....g-stuff-56124/

#5 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
          • 657 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by niecimar
            Has anyone has there luggage checked and had items taken away upon arrival at the airport in Punta Cana by customs or in the airport they were departing from?

Please share.
            Upon arrival we did not see anyone get there luggage check. My mom and dad came on another day and I asked them as well and no one had there luggage check on that day.
            Cory & Jennifer
            March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#6 tracy0716

tracy0716
            • 431 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

My cousins aren't the brightest of people and packed the mamjuana in their carry on. On a plus side the PPR was very nice about giving them bottles of wine to use!

#7 niecimar

niecimar
              • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

Thank you ladies for all your replies. I will definitely bring receipts with me for all the favors, OOT items, etc.

I dont want to arrive in DR and they say we have to take an item or two. That would really suck.
                Denise & Ziggy
                June 5, 2010
                http://www.youtube.c..../0/38XwzNwQb-A

#8 khomac

khomac
                • 380 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by niecimar
                  Thank you ladies for all your replies. I will definitely bring receipts with me for all the favors, OOT items, etc.

I dont want to arrive in DR and they say we have to take an item or two. That would really suck.
                  UPON ARRIVAL TO PUNTA CANA
                  They have men walking around looking for people to search. I traveled alone and had 3 suitcases (definitely suspicious). Right away, they picked me and searched. I had brought tons of t-shirts for my Dominican Family. All had tags on (so I could have been bringing it there to sell, which is what they are looking for), but they had no problems. The opened all suitcases, flipped through my things nicely, seen my husband waiting for me, and sent me on my way. I don't believe you'll have anything taken away. They never asked me for my receipts. When they see your dress, they'll know you're telling the truth.

I've gone 3 times with lots of suitcases (gifts for family), and each time, they have asked me where I was going or the purpose of my trip, and if I was travelling alone.

You'll be fine! Don't stress! If you get searched upon arrival, just smile!
                  Kelly & Pablo

http://www.michaelsteingard.com
                  Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#9 nsbride2010

nsbride2010
                  • 2,528 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'm glad to hear this, since we are still looking at how many bags we have to take and were worried about coming with too many!!
                    Enjoying marital bliss since July 1st, 2010

#10 Mere

Mere
                    • 729 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

I need to check out what the requirements are for my airline and start deciding what goes and what stays. Thanks for the info and inspiration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users