April 2011 Brides

• Please log in to reply
6539 replies to this topic

#4881 Lua

Lua
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

on my weekend TO-DO list:

- hitting up the mall yet again tonight to see if Old Navy got their bathing suits yet... still need at least 2 with bandeau tops!

- finish up bookmarks (i messed up one page when laminating last week, so i'll do another this aft)

- work on my dress

- key-card holder inserts

Erin - for the OOT bags, i just plan on bringing all the supplies down and assembling there. this way they can be spread out through bags. I think my mom is taking the actual oot bags for us in her suit case

#4882 Meggers7484

Meggers7484
    • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

Laura have you tried Winners? I bought about ten bandeau bikinis there last year throughout the season. I checked the stock here in Oakville last week but it was kinda flimsy, they should start getting in more now though.

#4883 Lua

Lua
      • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

oh i wish i could have had time off before the wedding! ... at least i have 4 days to organize stuff before we leave! unforunately for me, i work in an office filled with men (the ladies are all upstairs and we don't really get along ..they're old and cranky lmao) anyway, the men just don't get my excitement!!!

#4884 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
        • 1,917 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

Erin, I think I will try to pack the OOT bags before we leave so they are ready to distribute once we arrive. I hope they don't take up too much space.

I'm having a bit of a moral issue right now. I was talking to my parents about the AHR. They wanted to know how much we were planning on spending. My dad mentioned that they haven't discussed what/how much to give us for our wedding. I told them that since they paid for a portion of our appliances when we bought our house I wasn't expecting anything.

My parents are in a much better financial situation than FI's family. I don't think it's right that my parents can give us $5K for our new home and we have actually given his parents about $3K to help meet ends because his dad would rather be on EI than work at a job that pays less than $20/hour. I would appreciate the money, but it's not fair that my parents contribute and FI has taken on his family's responsibilities in addition to our own. I feel bad not accepting anything from my parents, especially since they paid for my sister's dress and part of her traditional wedding. I almost feel like any money we accept from my family is basically just being given to his family because they can't be responsible. So even though we can afford to pay for AHR on our own, we are no further ahead thanks to my parent's generosity. I want to tell my parents not to give us anything.

#4885 Lua

Lua
          • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

i haven't checked winners myself, but my mom went last week and said there wasn't much of anything..... joe fresh finally got some.... really good quality too but i HATE the colour!!! LOL .. just not a fan of navy

#4886 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
            • 1,917 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

Wow I missed a whole 2 pages writing my last post.

Meggers, love the ring holder so cute.

Laura, I'm jealous of your four days. FI is already worried that we will be spending every night between when I get home and when we leave at the mall. We leave on a Saturday, and I have to work on the Friday! At least I will have a few days off after we get home before I have to go back to work.

#4887 Meggers7484

Meggers7484
              • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

Mocha I'm sorry to hear that. Though traditionally, it is the bride's parents that contribute to the wedding, so you shouldn't feel bad about that. They did it for your sister and I'm sure it would mean a lot to them to do it for you too. Don't think of it as going to your in laws, it's going toward your wedding. By tradition your in laws are responsible for the rehersal dinner, and really thats about it.

#4888 Meggers7484

Meggers7484
                • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

Ladies.... this is it.... my 150th post!!!! So happy I get to share it with my April Ladies!!

#4889 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
                  • 1,917 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

I know it's more traditional for the brides family to contribute. But so far any money that my parents have contributed has basically gone towards helping his family out. I guess I just think it's horrible that FI has worked so hard to be successful and then his dad can just sit on the couch half the year and not worry because his son will bail them out. It really bothers me that any time we have all gone out to dinner my dad tries to take the cheque, FI has taken it half the time, but his parents have never even offered to cover a portion. How can you find the money to buy coffee and smokes every day, but then call your son to ask for money to help pay the mortgage?

Sorry this turned into a vent.

#4890 lesee

lesee
                    • 320 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

Hey Mocha

YEOWCH - that's a tough one. But I agree with you - Maybe you need to talk to your FI and just tell him that any $$ YOUR parents give you is to go to only YOU TWO - as a gift for YOUR wedding. I have my opinions on taking on someone elses burdens but I won't get into that - just I've been there and it's not fun and neither is it fair. If your parents give money is should DEFINITELY just go to to you and your FI. I mean this in the nicest way possible but if my parents gave me money for my wedding  and I turned around and just gave it to someone else, they wouldn't give me money in the first place.  I'm sorry you have to go through that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users