April 2011 Brides

Tennyt1

We had smores over the weekend, and thinks that's why I got the idea.

Lua, it's fine not to have favors. It sounds like you are already having quite the celebration. You don't need more to add to your stress factor.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally Posted by Meggers7484 View Post

Mocha I'm doing the cupcake thing with the bigger cake so we can cut it. I'm also setting out some vintage cake stands with french macrons in the wedding colours. Since it's a brunch it might be sugar overload, but I'm going to put out take away boxes if people want to bring some home for later. I like the fluffy, messy buttercream look so that's what we're doing. Rather than get a wedding cake place to do it I'm just getting them made by a kick ass little bakery in Oakville, Then I'm going to get some sugar cupcake toppers on etsy and put them on myself.

I'm also using pillow boxes filled with candy as the placecards with each person's name on it. Hubby and I are sugar fanatics so it's turning out to be part of the theme! 

For decor I went to Value Village and loaded up on mason jars and found this awesome blue vintage tea set I'm going to put flowers in to decorate the guest book table. I also found candle hlders and vintage plates that I'm going to make funky cake stands out of. For centerpieces I'm going to put the pinwheels from the DW in the mason jars, put rustic painted pails out filled with hydrangea (I'm ordering in bulk online and just sticking the flowers in the buckets myself) and then puting out little bud vases with one white peony in each. I'm really excited about the vintage garden vibe that's shaping up!!!

Questions to throw out there:

Are you doing a guest book for the AHR?

Is it tacky to put out a card box for guests? I didn't for the DW and the result was everyone just carrying around their cards all night!

Your reception sounds wonderful! I love all the details that you have thought of!

Originally Posted by Lua View Post

NO idea what we're doing with our pictures yet!!! i don't think we'll even start thinking about that until our AHR unfortunately... our AHR is starting to consume us now with just over 6 weeks to go.  Invites are finally going out today/tomorrow and then onto decorating ideas and such... NOTHING has been done yet or even talked about in terms of how we're going to decorate the hall... if we're going to get a cake... etc.. Crazy!!! lol

We did buy a new bed on the weekend though with some wedding $$$$ :) so that finally begins our master bedroom makeover. I think I'd like to get one of our wedding shots printed in black and white to go above the bed once we paint and such.

Doing the same thing with our wedding money too!

Originally Posted by Meggers7484 View Post

Hi ladies!!!!

We got our TTD slideshow back and I have no words.... I seriously almost cried! Sol from Del Sol Photography did them and I can say in all honesty that there is no doubt as to why she is one of the top ten photogs in the world!!!!!! Worth every penny (though I wish I hadn't pigged out quite so hard at the buffet in the days leading up to it! oops!) Here is the link!

http://delsolphotography.com/blog/content/galleries/?gal=434

I almost cried too! :) So amazing! You will have some beautiful pictures to look at for years to come!

great deals!! although i think we're going to wait to do ours until after the AHR this weekend.

p.s. I think I may be crazy!!!!  I've been searching like MAD to try and find a last minute deal to go back to the Riu Negril for a week in July!!!!! LOL .. i'm so stressed over this AHR i just want to go back the two of us and relax on an actual honeymoon!!!!!  .... too bad the last minute deal would still cost us $2600!! yikes :S

How long is that last minute deal for?  (Days)  That it's that bad of a price!  Does it include airfare?  Then it could be a little expensive if not....

Originally Posted by mochamakes3 View Post

Laura, that would be awesome if you got to go on an actual honeymoon. I think we are waiting until November to go on ours.

What do you ladies think of smores for our AHR favors? I was thinking of making strawberry and chocolate marshmallows and then packaging them with graham crackers, chocolate and directions. I want something affordable and cute, but also different.

LOVE the idea of smores!!!  I have a recipe for frozen smores!! 

hubby thinks i'm crazy for looking at going back so soon (we were thinking for a 1 yr anniversary) but i'm just dying to be back there with no family around!! LOL  it's an 'option', but as bad as it sounds, we're waiting to see how much we have $-wise after our AHR on saturday.  We really were thinking of re-doing our kitchen this summer if we had enough $, so i think that will be first on the list.  However, maybe.. just maybe we'll have enough for another trip too?? ;) a girl can dream right??

I love the idea of smores!!!!

is it bad that we're not doing favours at our AHR????  we're trying to keep is away from being an actual 'reception' but more of just a big meal.. we're not having a dj or anything.. hopefully people aren't peeved that we don't have favours for them. At least there will be a TON of food!

I think after the whole AHR deal, you DESERVE to go back!!!! 

I don't think it's bad that you are not doing AHR, Laura, you didn't even plan on having a big AHR, so really... it's not that big of a deal, I don't think...  Are you doing desserts at all?

I forgot to mention...  We were having such a situation with finding a (reasonably priced) DJ or a better way for our iPod.  Well, hubby talked to our neighbors who do karaoking once a month at a place near by so he asked if they might allow us to use their equipment.  Well, they came back with a better offer!!!  They offered, as our wedding gift, to do the DJing for free, and bring along their karaoking equipment in case we wanted to do that too!!!  SO excited!!!!  They said we can still do our own play list if we want, and just set it up on their computer!!!  YAY!!!!

Originally Posted by Ellabaja1983 View Post

I think after the whole AHR deal, you DESERVE to go back!!!! 

I don't think it's bad that you are not doing AHR, Laura, you didn't even plan on having a big AHR, so really... it's not that big of a deal, I don't think...  Are you doing desserts at all?

OH there will be desserts galore!! lol

We're doing a cupcake table that will be covered in dark chocolate devils food cupcakes frosted in turquoise and white vanilla butterream (to carry our turquoise colour into the AHR).  My mom so graciously volunteered to make the cupcakes this week so they'll be ready for me to frost Saturday morning with my vanilla buttercream.  I got a pretty kick ass turquoise stand from Home Sense last week that will be the 'main' cupcake stand and I've also gotten 2 different cake stands from the moms then 2 stainless platters (found at value village) so we'll have the cupcakes displayed on all different levels. Oh and my mom is making the cakes in silver papers.  ... can you tell I'm excited about this part of the AHR?? lol  my mom also thought candy would be a cute touch so we got an equal amount of every blue candy we could find at Bulk Barn lol.  My mom already has a nice big clear jar, so we're going to put all the candy in the one jar.  I found turquoise tongs at the dollar store for people to use to get the candy out.  My mom also got some white peppermints and chocolate covered cranberries that will also be on the cupcake table. LOL she's having a ball getting all of this stuff.

And that's not it... there will also be an actual dessert table covered in various bite sized polish desserts. Not sure what they all are, but i know cheesecake is included so i'm happy. ;)

As for the rest of the menu, we have...

garden salad

steamed baby carrots

mixed veggies (broccoli/cauliflower and i think more carrots)

roasted potatoes

pierogi

cabbage rolls

pork kabobs

chicken breast

All made by little Polish grandmas lol.

honestly there's not going to be any lack of food at this thing. We'll be rolling our guests out at the end of the night.

on another note, we're not getting a dj or doing a dance or anything, but do plan to have music playing throughout the night via our laptop.  I started working on the playlist last night but am having trouble with getting songs???  I only have 3.3hrs worth so far (need at least 5 i think)..  anyway, I have been using frostwire, but like 85% of the songs i want, I can't find or the files just have the voice saying "blah blah this file is illegal" .....

what have you ladies been using to get music??  i'd rather not spend more $ lol