April 2011 Brides

Tennyt1

I don't know about you guys, but this whole destination wedding has me feeling like I'm forgetting so much.  I've helped friends plan their weddings before and they are SOOO stressed out and have SOOO much to do.  I feel like I've done nothing and am forgetting something.  I basically booked the place, invited my family, got my dress, booked a photographer (Sascha Gluck) and have done nothing else.  I've made lists and feel like I'm forgetting so much, but can't figure out what.  I have 1 BM and she got her dress already.  Fiance is narrowing the options on suits.  I have a few songs picked out and have NO idea how many I need.  I don't know what my resort (Riu Palace Mexico) offers for receiption, but we are trying really hard to keep costs down, so not sure I'd pay for it anyway. (we have 4 girls between the 2 of us so $$ isn't just falling out of our pockets:)  I was thinking of just bringing a docking station and setting up an ipod at the resort bar.  Not sure if they'll let us, but don't see why not. 

I'm looking at discountmugs.com for gifts for our guests....anyone have experience with them?  Where do you get your logo to personalize it?

We're planning on having an AHR in August, so that is where we're incorporating our girls.  I thought maybe I'd wait and do the sand ceremony when I can include them in it.  I haven't done much with the AHR either besides book the place.  We're having it at a large park in the area.

Sorry to go on and on.....if anyone has any advice or suggestions for me, I'm all ears.  :)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We arrive on the 2nd and get married on the 5th. We're staying for 2 weeks vacation too which I'm totally excited for!

When do you arrive? Are you on the beach or garden? What are you doing for your reception?

We're on the beach for the wedding and we still haven't confirmed anything for the reception. We wanted to have it by the pool but it's already taken, which actually will save us a ton of money anyways because we've got a large group coming and you have to pay $65 per person! Oh well, it will be fun no matter where we have it!!

Have you confirmed anything else with the WC? I feel like I'm missing something, but can't figure out what! :)

Probably because there's so little to actually do and they take care of so much for you it just feels too easy sometimes!

Originally Posted by CSandCK2 View Post

Char - when do you arrive at ROR?  We are getting married there on the 7th of April. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanandchar View Post

Woo hoo! I leave in exactly 2 months today!!

I have felt like I've forgotten a lot of stuff as I go through the whole process, especially because some girls on here are doing a lot of extras that I'm not doing because I really can't see bringing all the stuff down (our resort does not allow us to ship things prior to arriving). 

I think the biggest thing is trying to figure out what you are doing for a reception if anything.  We booked our reception with the resort, and we have a four hour block just for that.  With that being said, I know I need at least 4 hours of music.  We are doing what you said, the iPod thing with a docking station.

It sounds like you have all the major things done really.  At this point, it's a matter of how you want to personalize it, if you want to.  We are doing a welcome dinner the night before the wedding (the night all of our guests arrive).  At the welcome dinner, I plan to give out our OOT Bags (our gift to the guests).  We'll have a lot of different little things in that for everyone. 

I like the idea of doing your sand ceremony at your AHR so you can incorporate your girls and they can feel like they had a part in it.  FI has two boys and one really wants to go to the wedding, but his mother won't let him or his brother go.  So...I'd really like a way to incorporate them, but I just haven't figure that out yet.

On the discountmugs.com.  I know some ladies on here have used that company, and I believe have had good luck.  The girls either make their own logo or have someone do it for them.  I'll let someone else speak to that though, because I'm not doing the mugs.

Originally Posted by JWETLI View Post

I don't know about you guys, but this whole destination wedding has me feeling like I'm forgetting so much.  I've helped friends plan their weddings before and they are SOOO stressed out and have SOOO much to do.  I feel like I've done nothing and am forgetting something.  I basically booked the place, invited my family, got my dress, booked a photographer (Sascha Gluck) and have done nothing else.  I've made lists and feel like I'm forgetting so much, but can't figure out what.  I have 1 BM and she got her dress already.  Fiance is narrowing the options on suits.  I have a few songs picked out and have NO idea how many I need.  I don't know what my resort (Riu Palace Mexico) offers for receiption, but we are trying really hard to keep costs down, so not sure I'd pay for it anyway. (we have 4 girls between the 2 of us so $$ isn't just falling out of our pockets:)  I was thinking of just bringing a docking station and setting up an ipod at the resort bar.  Not sure if they'll let us, but don't see why not. 

I'm looking at discountmugs.com for gifts for our guests....anyone have experience with them?  Where do you get your logo to personalize it?

We're planning on having an AHR in August, so that is where we're incorporating our girls.  I thought maybe I'd wait and do the sand ceremony when I can include them in it.  I haven't done much with the AHR either besides book the place.  We're having it at a large park in the area.

Sorry to go on and on.....if anyone has any advice or suggestions for me, I'm all ears.  :)

Erin, I can't believe their mother won't let them go. That's so selfish. I hope you find a way to incorporate them because they obviously deserve a generous person like you in their lives.

Jwetli, I always laugh now when people talk about how it's easier to have a DW. It's easier to upset more people with a DW! It sounds like you have things under control with your major items booked and selected. I would ask your resort about reception options, even if it just a guarantee restaurant reservation. I think the iPod station is the best choice, just set up a play list and enjoy!

For everyone doing the docking station, are you having a microphone available for important announcements or speeches? I'm not sure what to do about that part.

JWETLI - I ordered mugs from discountmugs.com and I had a great experience.  I signed up for email offers and ended up getting one for 25% off.  I know they offer free shipping a lot too, but it doesn't apply to me in Canada...  I ordered my mugs with no logo, and I ordered waterproof labels from vistaprint to stick on.  They didn't stick all that well because of the mug I chose - it was curved, so air bubbles were getting under the label.  But I just bought some modge podge from Michaels to seal them and it worked well (oh, and I put the hair dryer to each for a few seconds to heat up the sticker before I sealed them - it made a huge difference).  The shipping was really fast - I had them in Canada in a week and half, but I guess that's cause I didn't get them to put a logo on there....

I know how you feel about forgetting things - I feel like I'm almost ready to go, but that doesn't seem right?  We aren't doing a lot of the little personal touches that others are doing, such as OOT bags, DIY projects for centrepieces, luggage tags, etc and that seems to be the things people still have on their to-do lists.  I really hope I don't forget anything big!

Wow!! Its been really quite on here today lol!!!

So my moms dress came in and she hated it, so she sent it back, I didnt even get to see it lol!

I havent shown her this one yet, but what do you ladies think of this one, Im also thinking about ordering it in coral for myself ;)

BLUE

CORAL

Brandy,

These are really cute! I know my mom wouldn't wear it though.... but your mom may be "hipper" than mine! Where are they from? They would even be cute as bridesmaid dresses!

Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

Wow!! Its been really quite on here today lol!!!

So my moms dress came in and she hated it, so she sent it back, I didnt even get to see it lol!

I havent shown her this one yet, but what do you ladies think of this one, Im also thinking about ordering it in coral for myself ;)

BLUE

CORAL

Mocha - It's unbelievable how this woman (their mother) has been since we got engaged.  She's been perfectly fine with me, but a major pain with FI.  She gave him every excuse under the sun why they couldn't go.  Even when the oldest went to her (after FI told him she wasn't allowing them to go) and said he didn't care what she had to say, he wanted to go, and she should allow them the option to go.  Of course, she doesn't care about what her children want, it's all about her.  More and more it's been all about her since we got engaged back in 7/09....  But in the end, it's going to be her that her children (or at least the oldest, because she basically has their youngest brainwashed...) resent... 

I was curious of the same thing on the microphone...  I have a smaller group (25 total) and I don't think it will be that hard to hear, but I don't know.  I also don't have a docking station yet.  Is there one better than another for this type of thing?  I'm going to be looking to purchase one in the next few weeks....