Photo

Important - NEW Requirements for Cuban travel

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 robbiemoe

robbiemoe
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

A new Cuban law dictates that all travellers to Cuba MUST have travel medical insurance as of May 1, 2010.

Here is what I got from my travel agent:

As of May 01, 2010 all customers entering Cuba must have travel health insurance. Customers who do not have proof of medical insurance upon arrival will have to purchase it there. The insurance company that you are buying this insurance from MUST be a member of ASISTUR or WTP.

Please pass this info on!!

#2 Tam

Tam
    • 551 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

That's good to know, we travel to Cuba a lot!!

#3 Hopelesslyblissful

Hopelesslyblissful
      • 191 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the info about who t insurance must be from....my travel agent just informed me about thsi today and said she was going to look into specifics about the insurance..
        http://dwdf.daisypath.com/vWwHm6.png

~19 Booked Plus Bride & Groom~

#4 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
        • Vendor
        • 2,782 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:22 AM

Here's the source:
          Reuters AlertNet - Cuba to require medical insurance for visitors

It says it's done in order to bring additional revenue due to the recession.
          Wrong way to do it... Increase food quality at the resorts and provide better service. That will bring FAR more revenue.

PS. I think this should be made sticky until May. My guess it would be cheaper to get insurance here in Canada than from Cuba.

#5 Melidell

Melidell
          • 1,091 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

I don't like the idea that they're doing it just as a money grab- that might discourage tourism which would be bad for the economy in the long run. Seems a bit shortsighted. The thought of being stopped at the border on the way to your vacation and being made to purchase a specific brand of health insurance bothers me, also- especially if you already have some but they don't recognise it.

My big question now is what they'll require for proof of insurance. We both have travel benefits from FI's work benefits (they say that that's not always good enough but I've gone over the coverage and his package is pretty similar to ones that you purchase). I know it's not a factor until May 1st and we leave on the 25th of April but I'd like to have something just in case since we'll be there in May. Also, how do we know whether or not Cuba "recognises" our coverage? The info that's coming out now is a bit vague. I guess I'll have to check with my travel agent.
            Loving married life!

#6 robbiemoe

robbiemoe
            • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

It's really vague....which is annoying. I'll be bringing the card provided to me by my work coverage insurance company, and hope that is okay. I guess it's just wait and see for now....

#7 K'osh

K'osh
              • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Just spoke with my travel agent this morning and she says there will be a list of acceptable companies being revealed sometime within the next week.....when I find out I will post.
                We both have out of country coverage with our work insurance but apparently if the insurance company is american based they will not accept it and you will still have to buy insurance.
                This really sucks....we leave May 1!!
                http://tickers.Ticke....9e4d/event.png

36 people + Bride & Groom are coming to Cuba!!!

#8 Melidell

Melidell
                • 1,091 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by K'osh
                  Just spoke with my travel agent this morning and she says there will be a list of acceptable companies being revealed sometime within the next week.....when I find out I will post.
                  We both have out of country coverage with our work insurance but apparently if the insurance company is american based they will not accept it and you will still have to buy insurance.
                  This really sucks....we leave May 1!!
                  May 1st! Oh, that sucks- you just made the deadline. I can see them not wanting folks with American insurace companies in a way, maybe they've had problems with getting paid because of the embargo. This whole thing is still a huge pain, though.
                  Loving married life!

#9 Lindslou

Lindslou
                  • 187 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the update. Can you let us know what happens when you go and if you are required to show it at the airport. We just sent out our invites and would like to keep our guests informed.

Have a wonderful wedding
                    Looking to share a photographer the middle of Feb 2011 in Holguin Cuba

http://tickers.Ticke....35f2/event.png

#10 purpleshells

purpleshells
                    • 338 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

I still have NO clue who they are accepting and its REALLY stressing me out!!

the insurance from MUST be a member of ASISTUR or WTP?? you sure?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users