I am also staying at the ME with all our guests for our wedding in Feb. We decided to go through a travel agent to take the stress out of ourselves and let me tell you, it certainly has. I know that there are a lot of brides that have let their guests book on their own as well, and have had success with that, but some things that I really like about working with the travel agent:
- We blocked off a bunch of rooms and put down a deposit for each one. This is a lot of money up front, but we'll get it back/it will go towards our room/week. This gave me piece since our wedding was so far out when we first decided on this resort and I didn't want it to sell out
- Guests can reserve there room for a deposit of $100 and they don't owe their full amount until 2 months before we leave. So they have time to save up and plan for the dates they want to go.
- Any questions about where we are staying, rooms, how many people can be in each room, etc. is all handled by my travel agent.
- She also has been able to help with people that are rooming together but aren't staying the same days. So I have a couple of rooms with 3 people in it for 4 nights, and 2 people in it for 7. It's kinda expensive if someone has to stay by themselves, so this will help with costs for some of our guests!
- Guests can use their own miles/points to book flights. A lot of our friends and family were excited to hear they could do this, so they can watch the flight prices on their own and book on airlines they like to fly vs.
- She also arranges airport transportation to and from the Punta Cana airport (which I think is standard but also something I was worried about before choosing a travel agent)
Hope that helps! Again, it's just what we decided and we got really lucky with a great travel agent.