Jump to content

Recommended Posts


Wow, Your wedding is so close! I chose the first menu but paid a few more dollars and added the caprese salad (delicious) and I replaced the french fries with rice and had a nice vegetable. So I basically kept the entrees and upgraded the side stuff. For the appetizers we did the chicken skewers, mozzarella sticks, shrimp, jellypops and maybe one more. Everything was delicious!!

Yes there was music during the ceremony. Mayte runs all of that with the DJ. Just let her know what you want.

 

Good Luck and relax and enjoy every minute!
 

Originally Posted by gamcdiarmid View Post

Hi Kimberly, I am going to be married at the Jellyfish on Jan 30, 2011.  Super excited!  Any advice for planning?  What menu and appies did you choose?  Was there music during the ceremony? 

gail 



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi Mel,

 

We had a symbolic ceremony because we are getting married in the church this weekend. We were supposed to get married at the Chapel at the Majestic but we had paperwork issues. Pastor York performed the ceremony. He did a nice job. I think I contacted him by email but Mayte had offered to. He is very easy to access by email. I am pretty sure that she can do this for you with Pastor York or a judge.

 


 

Originally Posted by Mel2010 View Post

OK ladies, this is my 3rd attempt in contacting Mayte. Let's keep our fingers crossed that she responds to me!

 

Kimberly: For your wedding ceremony, did you have a civil or symbolic ceremony? And if it was civil, who did you contact for this service? Or does Mayte arrange this for us?



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hi Ladies! 
 

Just FYI - I just came from the DR this weekend and I visited Jellyfish!  Don't worry, Mayte will get back to you she was just swamped with weddings almost everyday last week.  I went there to check it out with my fiance and we fell in love with Jellyfish and with Mayte!

 

I am pretty sure we'll be a November Jellyfish wedding as well...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi Kim,

 

Oh yay...you get to do it all over again this weekend!! That's awesome!! Congrats again!! And thx for the info. We are looking for a civil ceremony, so in need of a judge, but if Mayte can hook us up with one that'll be great! Thx for sharing your menu too. It's sounds delicious and I may just steal a few ideas of your menu, lol.

Originally Posted by KJ Shea View Post


Hi Mel,

 

We had a symbolic ceremony because we are getting married in the church this weekend. We were supposed to get married at the Chapel at the Majestic but we had paperwork issues. Pastor York performed the ceremony. He did a nice job. I think I contacted him by email but Mayte had offered to. He is very easy to access by email. I am pretty sure that she can do this for you with Pastor York or a judge.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2010 View Post

OK ladies, this is my 3rd attempt in contacting Mayte. Let's keep our fingers crossed that she responds to me!

 

Kimberly: For your wedding ceremony, did you have a civil or symbolic ceremony? And if it was civil, who did you contact for this service? Or does Mayte arrange this for us?


 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for the heads up Bryjenbry!

 

And yay!!! Another November bride!! pinkie.gif

Which resort will you be staying at? We will be staying at the Majestic Colonial or Elegance.
 

Originally Posted by Bryjenbry View Post

 Hi Ladies! 
 

Just FYI - I just came from the DR this weekend and I visited Jellyfish!  Don't worry, Mayte will get back to you she was just swamped with weddings almost everyday last week.  I went there to check it out with my fiance and we fell in love with Jellyfish and with Mayte!

 

I am pretty sure we'll be a November Jellyfish wedding as well...

 



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI Girls! I am getting married at the Jellyfish February 26th. I was getting freaked out that I wasnt hearing from Mayte either. But I called her this weekend and she said that everything is fine-she just has been totally swamped and hasnt had the time to reply to everyones emails. I guess her being so busy is a good thing! She must know what shes doing. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my reception at the Jellyfish Jan.13/11 and I thought I'd warn you about a couple of things...

 

Bring all email correspondance with you, although it might not help...

 

Due to the language barrier, there were some misundertandings...ie. Mayte originally told me that the buffet option would be the same price, but when we got there, she told us it was way more expensive and said the only thing that is buffet is the appetizers (even though I had emails proving otherwise). I ended up going with the plated, which turned out to be beautiful, but definitely do a menu tasting to finalize things. We weren't impressed with the food tasting (over salted, over cooked, etc...) but the day of the wedding, everything turned out perfectly.

 

We were advised to pay our final bill with US travellers cheques by Mayte (had proof of email) yet when we met her 2 days before the wedding, she said she can't accept them because of some government rule?!?! Let's just say, it was very unprofessional of her not to notify me of this change and she expected us to figure things out and exchange it for US cash or domincan pesos by the hotel (which our hotel does not exchange for US cash). If you exchange for dominican pesos at the hotel, you end up losing out on money because it's 30 pesos per $1 US vs going to a bank and getting a rate of 37 pesos. In the end, she said the services (ie decorations, etc...) had to be paid in cash, which we did and she agreed to absorb the extra cost (since we exhanged it at the hotel), but when we went to pay at the end of the night, she said she can't do 30 pesos, only 33?!?! We just gave her what we had and that was it.

 

So I'm just cautioning you ladies to make sure all communication is clear...even though you think it's clear, it may not be on her end. She was very nice and did a wonderful job with decorations and food the day of the wedding, however it was very stressful dealing with the change in final payment. There definitely is a language barrier and I hope you ladies don't run into this kind of problem.

 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hey MBBride,

 

Welcome back....and congrats on your wedding!!!

Thanks for the heads up! So would you say the food is better, worse or the same as typical resort food? And do you have pictures?? I would love to see pictures if you have any yet. :)

Hope it was everything you dreamed it would be - aside from what you mentioned below - it sounds like you had a fab time.

Originally Posted by MBBride View Post

I had my reception at the Jellyfish Jan.13/11 and I thought I'd warn you about a couple of things...

 

Bring all email correspondance with you, although it might not help...

 

Due to the language barrier, there were some misundertandings...ie. Mayte originally told me that the buffet option would be the same price, but when we got there, she told us it was way more expensive and said the only thing that is buffet is the appetizers (even though I had emails proving otherwise). I ended up going with the plated, which turned out to be beautiful, but definitely do a menu tasting to finalize things. We weren't impressed with the food tasting (over salted, over cooked, etc...) but the day of the wedding, everything turned out perfectly.

 

We were advised to pay our final bill with US travellers cheques by Mayte (had proof of email) yet when we met her 2 days before the wedding, she said she can't accept them because of some government rule?!?! Let's just say, it was very unprofessional of her not to notify me of this change and she expected us to figure things out and exchange it for US cash or domincan pesos by the hotel (which our hotel does not exchange for US cash). If you exchange for dominican pesos at the hotel, you end up losing out on money because it's 30 pesos per $1 US vs going to a bank and getting a rate of 37 pesos. In the end, she said the services (ie decorations, etc...) had to be paid in cash, which we did and she agreed to absorb the extra cost (since we exhanged it at the hotel), but when we went to pay at the end of the night, she said she can't do 30 pesos, only 33?!?! We just gave her what we had and that was it.

 

So I'm just cautioning you ladies to make sure all communication is clear...even though you think it's clear, it may not be on her end. She was very nice and did a wonderful job with decorations and food the day of the wedding, however it was very stressful dealing with the change in final payment. There definitely is a language barrier and I hope you ladies don't run into this kind of problem.

 

Let me know if you have any other questions!



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi Mel,

 

Thanks! The day itself ended up being perfect! Even with the frustration of the final payment and the not so good food tasting, I still would have chosen Jellyfish because the actual day itself turned out so well. All the guests really liked the food and I thought it was definitely better than our resort (including the beautiful palting). One of the really popular dishes we had was the lobster (way better than expected) and the beef fillet wrapped in bacon and mushroom sauce.

 

We also hired the fire dancers and it was well worth the money. All the guests really enjoyed the performance and it was something different to add to the day.

 

Unfortunately I won't be getting my pictures from my photographer (Phil Steingard) for another month...but I'll try to post them when I do.

 

Happy planning and just remember....no matter what goes wrong at your wedding, dont' let it ruin your day...just take a step back and enjoy it! You only get the one day and with all the stress and money put into it, you definitely should have the time of your life!
 

Originally Posted by Mel2010 View Post


Hey MBBride,

 

Welcome back....and congrats on your wedding!!!

Thanks for the heads up! So would you say the food is better, worse or the same as typical resort food? And do you have pictures?? I would love to see pictures if you have any yet. :)

Hope it was everything you dreamed it would be - aside from what you mentioned below - it sounds like you had a fab time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×