Jellyfish Restaurant

Sorry for all the questions, but I really love this thread!!

1) For the 10% deposit that has to be sent, that's 10% of what? I'm not sure yet how many people will actually come, so I'm not sure how much everything will cost...

2) How far in advance did you ladies book your dates? I am planning an April 2012 wedding, am I way too soon??

3) Did anyone have their ceremony at the Melia and the cocktail hour and reception at the Jellyfish? If so, I have questions for you :) Not sure how timing works out...

Thanks so much!

P.S. I realize that I broke a rule by asking for something to be emailed to me, sorry!! I don't know how to delete my old posts...

Astef,

1- You give Mayte what you are planning on having (doesn't have to be the total number of people, just an estimate you can always add/change things later) such as what menu you're choosing for the amount of people, hours of open bar, DJ, transportation, etc.. then she'll send you a preinvoice and you have to send 10% of the total to them.  They're really laid back/Mayte is really busy so its not something that has to be done right away

2- I'd book your date as soon as you know.. Mayte holds your day for you as soon as you tell her, you don't need your deposit to hold your date.

3- Can't help you with that.. having our Ceremony & Reception at the Jellyfish :)

I know people ask to get things emailed, etc.. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Astef,

I think we came out ahead by not ordering a set menu.   We had some people order only appies and some others ordered the lobster.  We liked being able to offer such a variety to our guests and this just seemed to work out better for our group.  Most of the prices were similar to restaurants in the US or Can.  prices ranged from $10-$45 depending on what was ordered.

Gail

I just got married at JF and it was AMAZING - beyond all my expectations. 

I tipped everyone - Mayte $400 DJ, photographer, videographer $100, pastor $50.  Everyone should have been tipped more, the service was amazing!  But I was on a budget.

When I get time I will try to post some pics of the venue.

I did a la carte and I felt I saved money.  I had 26 ppl (24 for the party, but you feed the photographer and videographer as well) and if we did the $65 option - which is what we would have picked the total would be 1690.  I ended up spending about $1000 on my food with the a la carte and everyone had the option to pick whatever meal and appi they wanted.

Natalie

Hey Natalie, Congratulations!!!! So glad to hear you had an AMAZING time!!!

And thanks for sharing how much you tipped everyone. I was also trying to figure that one out. I would looove to see your pics!! I'm so excited to hear back from yet another JF bride!!

I'm also liking the a la carte option. We'll be having 30+ guests and feel the set menu may end up costing us more. So how did Mayte organize this exactly? Did she just had out menus to all of your guests and they just ordered whatever they wanted -- like a regular restaurant?? I'm thinking this would save a lot of $$$. So I'd love to hear how you organized this. =)

Another question for you ladies....

I was thinking about the possible wedding gifts that we may receive on our wedding night -- specifically cards containing cash and wanted to know how some of you plan on storing these cards in a safe place until the end of the week/trip? I'm already worried with the fact that we will be bringing down a lot of money to pay our photographer, DJ, Judge and the JF restaurant and figured we would just get rid of as much money as possible once we get there (idea came from a wonderful bride on this thread) but now I realize we will just end up with more money from our guests on our wedding night.

I'd love to hear your ideas/thoughts on this one!

Cheers,

Mel

COngrats!!!!!!! Please post your pics.. i would love to see. Also any tips we should know would be helpful. Im going to travel to DR in July this yr and im going to check out JF but want to go prepared with questions and concerns... Thanks

Originally Posted by MissNatalie18 View Post

I just got married at JF and it was AMAZING - beyond all my expectations. 

I tipped everyone - Mayte $400 DJ, photographer, videographer $100, pastor $50.  Everyone should have been tipped more, the service was amazing!  But I was on a budget.

When I get time I will try to post some pics of the venue.

I did a la carte and I felt I saved money.  I had 26 ppl (24 for the party, but you feed the photographer and videographer as well) and if we did the $65 option - which is what we would have picked the total would be 1690.  I ended up spending about $1000 on my food with the a la carte and everyone had the option to pick whatever meal and appi they wanted.

Natalie

Natalie CONGRATULATIONS!!

I am too so happy to hear of yet another happy bride :) My wedding is coming up fast..only 64 more days until we are at the Jellyfish!. Thanks for adding in how much you tipped because I was wondering what people went with. Mayte has been so fabulous so far we are going to set aside a bunch of money for her and everyone involved :)

I have a few questions below when you have a chance to answer ( if you don't mind).

-did you start at exactly the time you were supposed to start the ceremony or did it run late?

-how long was pastor yorks ceremony?

-After the ceremony did you guys just hang out or go right inside for dinner?

-approximately how long would you say dinner took?

-what time did you end up leaving the jellyfish ?

- When you walked down the aisle was there anything to walk on? I have wedge shoes and was wondering how hard it was to walk?

-what kind of dessert did you do? I just talked to Mayte about how she just did a wedding that had a sweets table...was this by weird chance your wedding? We are not doing a formal wedding cake so I'm trying to come up with cheaper options for some type of dessert after dinner.

-What option bar did you take (10, 15, or 20 an hour)? And were  any of your guests limited on what they drank if they asked for other things?

-Did you have any other extra things at wedding, like fire dancers, cigar rollar, etc? Anything you would recommend?

I'm also wondering about wedding gifts we may get?

Any other tips or info. would be greatly appreciated! I cannot wait to see pictures! This is soo exciting and every day I am more and more happy we are getting married at the Jellyfish!