Jellyfish Restaurant

mb bride..congrats on your wedding! Can I ask how many people were at your wedding? We have around 55. Do you think that if we just stay downstairs that would be enough room or would you say I am going to have to rent the entire restaurant? Is there an area to dance? If you don't mind me asking about price, how much was yours approximately? Did you have a dj  or do you know if they have speakers to set up an ipod? How much were you charged for the decorations inside and outside? Is just an overall price for "decorations" Or do you pick and choose what type of decorations you want? Are the main prices just for eating, drinking, and decorations? Can you think of any other costs you had besides fire dancers)? I'm sorr for all the questions, but I'm trying to figure out the best option! We are staying at the Majestic Elegance, where did you stay and would you def. reccommend jellyfish over resort reception? Thanks so much in advance!

Brooke

HI Mel! I think we're staying at Ocean Blue and Sand.  I went to Majestic Colonial and it's really nice too, let me know if you would like me to send you pics of the resort... I didnt see Elegance but I assume it may be just a bit nicer than Colonial.  Do you know if they charge for Kids at Colonial, I know they do at Elegance.  

Thank you for the information!  This will definitely help us Jellyfish brides to be.  

Originally Posted by MBBride View Post

I had my reception at the Jellyfish Jan.13/11 and I thought I'd warn you about a couple of things...

Bring all email correspondance with you, although it might not help...

Due to the language barrier, there were some misundertandings...ie. Mayte originally told me that the buffet option would be the same price, but when we got there, she told us it was way more expensive and said the only thing that is buffet is the appetizers (even though I had emails proving otherwise). I ended up going with the plated, which turned out to be beautiful, but definitely do a menu tasting to finalize things. We weren't impressed with the food tasting (over salted, over cooked, etc...) but the day of the wedding, everything turned out perfectly.

We were advised to pay our final bill with US travellers cheques by Mayte (had proof of email) yet when we met her 2 days before the wedding, she said she can't accept them because of some government rule?!?! Let's just say, it was very unprofessional of her not to notify me of this change and she expected us to figure things out and exchange it for US cash or domincan pesos by the hotel (which our hotel does not exchange for US cash). If you exchange for dominican pesos at the hotel, you end up losing out on money because it's 30 pesos per $1 US vs going to a bank and getting a rate of 37 pesos. In the end, she said the services (ie decorations, etc...) had to be paid in cash, which we did and she agreed to absorb the extra cost (since we exhanged it at the hotel), but when we went to pay at the end of the night, she said she can't do 30 pesos, only 33?!?! We just gave her what we had and that was it.

So I'm just cautioning you ladies to make sure all communication is clear...even though you think it's clear, it may not be on her end. She was very nice and did a wonderful job with decorations and food the day of the wedding, however it was very stressful dealing with the change in final payment. There definitely is a language barrier and I hope you ladies don't run into this kind of problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi guys! I'm planning to have my reception at the jellyfish next year in Feb 2012! I am really excited as I've seen beautiful pictures of weddings at the resto. For those that are trying to get a hold of Mayte, I must of sent her at least 3 emails in the past 2 weeks and she finally responded. She is very busy right now with weddings everyday which she has to put her attention to. I totally understand because I would want her to focus on mine when the time comes too. Anyway she said she would get back to me as soon as possible with the following info but if any of you have answers to any of them I would greatly appreciate it :)

- Catholic churches/ priest to contact?

- Is there a complimentary cocktail hour offered at the jellyfish? If so, what did it include? I've read this somewhere just want to confirm.

- I know i've also read that 10% down is needed to secure the date, do you know how this can be processed?

- is the dinner served like a sit-down dinner? or is it buffet-style?

- do they have a projector that i can show a picture slideshow or a video during the dinner?

thanks!!! any information would be great :)

Happy planning everyone :)

Hey Jen,

Yes, please send me pics of your resort! I heard that Ocean Blue & Sand is super nice. A colleague from my work just went there. We are now considering resorts that are closer to the restaurant since our ceremony and reception will be at the JellyFish, it really doesn't matter where we stay as long as it's a 5 star or even a 41/2 star. Colonial and Elegance do charge for kids, and it's rather pricey compared to other resorts. If you are bringing kids for sure, I would suggest you look elsewhere - even my TA said they were really pricey for kids! So we are looking into other resorts right now. But I still have the Colonial tentatively booked.

Hi Brooke,

We had 31 people and the downstairs space was perfect! We had tons of space for everyone to dance. For 55 people, I think everyone should be able to fit, but they will need to remove some tables after dinner for the dancing portion. Just double check with Mayte, but I don't think you will need to book the upstairs...plus if you did, the upstairs guests would miss out on interacting with everyone during dinner.

Your reception cost will depend on the menu and open bar option- we opted for a personalized menu and had the national open bar for 2 hours plus the dinner open bar option (wine, beer, and pop) for during dinner which was $8/pp for the entire duratin of dinner. We hired DJ Mannia- well worth the money...everyone danced all night! Guests are still raving about the party and said it was the best wedding ever. Re: extra costs, it's best to have Mayte email you the pricing...there are lots of other extra options (cigar rollers, fire works, etc...). The dinner decorations package was $500 which included all decorations, but does not include real flowers...only silk I believe...but it still looks beautiful. We didn't have our ceremony there so I'm not sure what the decoration costs are...

We stayed at the Majestic Colonial and had our ceremony there...sister resort to the Elegance. I definitely would choose Jellyfish over the resort as it was more private and something different for the guests. The only thing to keep in mind is that it's a 1/2 ride for the resort so maybe bring some plastic bags with you for the ride home for anyone who may be sick!

More than 1/2 my guests got sick on the trip at some point...might be from the resort's food? One guest was even hospitalized for 2 nights for gastrointestinal infection. I would just be cautious of what you eat and maybe stick with familiar foods...I on the other hand did not get sick. Although by the time we left, abotu 95% of my guests got sick or were getting sick from the resort with tons of bathroom and stomach issues.

Lisa

Originally Posted by bamcandr View Post

mb bride..congrats on your wedding! Can I ask how many people were at your wedding? We have around 55. Do you think that if we just stay downstairs that would be enough room or would you say I am going to have to rent the entire restaurant? Is there an area to dance? If you don't mind me asking about price, how much was yours approximately? Did you have a dj  or do you know if they have speakers to set up an ipod? How much were you charged for the decorations inside and outside? Is just an overall price for "decorations" Or do you pick and choose what type of decorations you want? Are the main prices just for eating, drinking, and decorations? Can you think of any other costs you had besides fire dancers)? I'm sorr for all the questions, but I'm trying to figure out the best option! We are staying at the Majestic Elegance, where did you stay and would you def. reccommend jellyfish over resort reception? Thanks so much in advance!

Brooke

Thats really scary! What resort did you stay at?  

Originally Posted by MBBride View Post

Hi Brooke,

We had 31 people and the downstairs space was perfect! We had tons of space for everyone to dance. For 55 people, I think everyone should be able to fit, but they will need to remove some tables after dinner for the dancing portion. Just double check with Mayte, but I don't think you will need to book the upstairs...plus if you did, the upstairs guests would miss out on interacting with everyone during dinner.

Your reception cost will depend on the menu and open bar option- we opted for a personalized menu and had the national open bar for 2 hours plus the dinner open bar option (wine, beer, and pop) for during dinner which was $8/pp for the entire duratin of dinner. We hired DJ Mannia- well worth the money...everyone danced all night! Guests are still raving about the party and said it was the best wedding ever. Re: extra costs, it's best to have Mayte email you the pricing...there are lots of other extra options (cigar rollers, fire works, etc...). The dinner decorations package was $500 which included all decorations, but does not include real flowers...only silk I believe...but it still looks beautiful. We didn't have our ceremony there so I'm not sure what the decoration costs are...

We stayed at the Majestic Colonial and had our ceremony there...sister resort to the Elegance. I definitely would choose Jellyfish over the resort as it was more private and something different for the guests. The only thing to keep in mind is that it's a 1/2 ride for the resort so maybe bring some plastic bags with you for the ride home for anyone who may be sick!

More than 1/2 my guests got sick on the trip at some point...might be from the resort's food? One guest was even hospitalized for 2 nights for gastrointestinal infection. I would just be cautious of what you eat and maybe stick with familiar foods...I on the other hand did not get sick. Although by the time we left, abotu 95% of my guests got sick or were getting sick from the resort with tons of bathroom and stomach issues.

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamcandr View Post

Brooke

Both resorts were nice, they each had a different feel.  Will you be having kids at your wedding?  As soon as I have a chance to upload the pictures i'll email them to you.  Where should I send it?

Originally Posted by Mel2010 View Post

Hey Jen,

Yes, please send me pics of your resort! I heard that Ocean Blue & Sand is super nice. A colleague from my work just went there. We are now considering resorts that are closer to the restaurant since our ceremony and reception will be at the JellyFish, it really doesn't matter where we stay as long as it's a 5 star or even a 41/2 star. Colonial and Elegance do charge for kids, and it's rather pricey compared to other resorts. If you are bringing kids for sure, I would suggest you look elsewhere - even my TA said they were really pricey for kids! So we are looking into other resorts right now. But I still have the Colonial tentatively booked.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can just do a simple cocktails or champagne toast after ceremony at Jellyfish, instead of a full on reception. We are pretty set on having our reception on La Barcaza but I am also really wanting a beach ceremony. Would love to do both!!!

mbbride,

Thanks so much for responding! I'd love to talk to you about your experience more and have some more questions for whoever can maybe answer them.

1.)How did your guests get to the Jellyfish? If you took a bus, What kind of bus was it? How many people fit in it?

2.) Was the restaurant air conditioned at all downstairs?

3.) Do they take american cash? and if you pay them cash does anyone know if Mayte wouldn't charge tax?

4.) anyone married in June? What time do you recommend the ceremony to start?

Thanks!