*~*Mel*~*'s Really Long Majestic Colonial Review with Pics

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 *~*Mel*~*

• 647 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi ladies!

It took me a little while to get to my review but here it is! Sorry for the wait! If you have read my planning thread or some of my other threads you know that I can be wordy, lol. I’m warning you now that this is long! Pics are at the end though.

We were married at the Majestic Colonial on Feb 3rd. We had 40 guests join us and we stayed at the resort from Jan 30-Feb 6. Our wedding was absolutely fantastic!!! If you are booked here you have absolutely nothing to worry about in regards to the wedding. They definitely know what they’re doing; the whole day went off without a hitch! I have mixed feelings about the resort itself since service seemed to be lacking (for a 5 star at least, I think that it may have been a low/understaffed week) and the food was hit and miss and the majority of our group got sick (from what I heard through Trip Advisor norovirus was going around Punta Cana at that time so that isn’t really the resort’s fault) but please don’t let this scare you. All in all please take my comments in perspective, sick or not we had an absolutely amazing time as did our guests. We are so happy that we had a destination wedding at the Majestic!

Skyservice: F

Awful! Our flight was scheduled to leave at 4:15 pm and we got to the airport 3 hours early. Right before we were supposed to board the plane we found out it was delayed until 9 pm due to a mechanical issue. Since we had already checked our luggage and gone through security we decided to stick it out. At 8pm we found out that the plane wouldn’t be leaving until at least 11 pm. I realize that mechanical issues are beyond anyone’s control but we later found out that the staff knew that morning that the plane wouldn’t be leaving until at least 7 pm. None of the passengers were notified about the delay (we called before leaving home and kept checking the screens at the airport) until right before boarding and all we got for the 10 hours was a $10 food voucher (try finding a meal $10 or less at the airport!). We’ve complained to Skyservice but have yet to hear back from them.

A bit of a delay wouldn’t have been a big deal but waiting so long, worrying about our guests being upset and having to carry around/watch my wedding dress just stressed me out. By the time we got on the plane I was exhausted! They had no closet to hang my dress so I had to put it in the overhead bin (which I knew before the trip) and I was so stressed the whole time about someone putting their luggage on my dress (even though my parents were guarding it). Normally I would have been fine but I think that because of the long day I just overreacted and lost it and ended up having a little cry on the plane (privately at least, lol, only FH noticed I think that everyone else was too exhausted). All in all I had absolutely nothing to worry about in regards to my dress, it arrived at the resort in perfect condition, I didn’t even have to get it steamed! So moral of the story is don’t worry about transporting your dress, it will be fine!

The only reason that I didn’t give Skyservice and F- is that the flight back was ok.

Majestic Colonial Punta Cana (the resort as a whole): B+

*scroll down if you want to get straight to the wedding details*

The resort was beautiful and very clean. We were given an upgraded oceanfront room which was really nice. It seems like we were there during a less busy week as the resort never felt very full. The pool was beautiful and very large, again very clean. The beach was absolutely gorgeous! One of the nicest beaches we’ve ever been too! We had no problems finding loungers (and we didn’t have to play the towel game which I always hate at resorts!).
    For a 5 star resort we found the service to be lacking. When we arrived at the resort many in our group had room issues. For example, we had a first floor room and the patio door wouldn’t lock, our friends’ safe wouldn’t work, room keys didn’t work, etc. Even with repeated calls the repairman never made it to some rooms (we got our door fixed within a couple of hours though). Our friends whose safe didn’t work got so frustrated that they just gave up and used another friend’s safe.

Most (but not all to be fair) of the front desk staff seemed annoyed whenever you asked them anything and weren’t the most helpful. We were given the wrong bracelets, told that wedding party members had to keep bracelets on for the wedding (we later found out that this wasn’t the case but it involved talking to many people to sort it out), had to fight for the late (6pm) check-out that was part of our wedding package (they had already booked another couple in our room and at first said that we had to be out by noon but then gave us until 4), our restaurant reservations were booked for the wrong day etc.

I think that the most annoying part was that many people didn’t get their rooms cleaned regularly (some for a few days in a row). When they did come they were very inconsistent on the times they came. This was annoying if you were in the shower when they walked in or if you wanted to take an afternoon nap. Normally I don’t think that it would bother me so much (I have no problem reusing a towel) but we had to ask the front desk 3 times the night before the wedding to send someone to clean the room since it hadn’t been done (we were taking pictures in the room the wedding day and I just wanted fresh towels too!). Also, we had room service included in our package and we got the complete run around trying to order something so the bridal party could have lunch before the ceremony (e.g. The brochure in the room said that room service is available at 11 am. When we called at 11:55 they said it started at 12 and to call back in 5 minutes. I said it was my wedding day and I was getting married in an hour but they still wouldn’t even take my order until exactly noon. It was just strange!).

I do want to mention that although the service wasn’t what I expected at a 5 star that most of the bartenders and servers were great (except for one miserable man at the lobby bar who wouldn’t take women’s orders)! Also the spa was great.

I suspect that maybe we had service issues because it was a low week for the hotel and it was understaffed. When we left it seemed that they were gearing up for more activities that they didn’t have the week we were there (beach Olympics etc..) so I expect that the hotel might be better when it’s busier.

We don’t go to resorts for the food really but I think that we had expectations that a 5 star would have better food. The food was very hit or miss. Sometimes really good, sometimes ok, sometimes awful. We had dinner at the steakhouse and weren’t very impressed but when we went back for our romantic dinner it was excellent! Maybe it depends on the night? The main buffet always had something to eat but like all buffets it was repetitive and sometimes things were cold. We weren’t at all impressed with the beach buffet (usually cold food, undercooked meat) so we usually just had lunch at the main one.

Probably 95% of the 42 of us got sick during the trip (confined to the room for a night or full day). At first we thought that it was just a case of too much sun and booze (which it very well may have been for some people) but it just seemed like too many of us to just be that. Maybe it was the food, maybe we caught a virus like norovirus on the plane or from other guests (it was going around Punta Cana at that time), we’ll never know. Although it wasn’t pleasant (I spent the whole last night in the room and my stomach took a few days afterwards to recover) it’s the chance you take travelling and can happen anywhere. We tried to not let it get us down!

One warning: beware the burgers! Everyone who ordered one (including myself) found that they were extremely undercooked and completely raw inside. It didn’t seem to matter where you ordered one either (buffet, beach buffet or the late night fast food place).

The drinks were on average good and plentiful, although you couldn’t get some drinks like Caesars and they wouldn’t make some mixed drinks. One thing to mention is that we were under the impression that the top shelf alcohol at the lobby bar was included. After speaking to reception they said that everyone has to pay for it and that it’s not included in anyone’s package. At $6 a drink we passed on the top shelf stuff!

Now to the really important part, the wedding and our vendors!

Wedding: A+++

Travel agent/Wedding Planner (Wedding in the Tropics): A+

We used Julie Thivierge from Wedding in the Tropics (Click the image to open in full size.
    Click the image to open in full size.

#2 roo66

• 1,001 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:11 AM

Oh wahooo what lovely wedding pictures.Your flowers look fab and i love your mums wedding outfits xx

#3 Oryx

• 727 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Congrats again! (I'm also on facebook)

Love the pictures -- you were such a beautiful bride. And I love your dress!

#4 bahiabride2010

• 997 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Great review...so detailed! CONGRATS!

#5 tiffanyan02

• 123 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Sounds like a great time! It's too bad so many guest's got sick, but sounds like it was just one of those things. Loved your dress, very pretty!

#6 carolina24

• 1,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

wow your pics are AMAZING!!! congrats, everything seemed to turn out great in the end :)

#7 mrs.timpone

• 312 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

beautiful!!! congrats!!

#8 jk1101

• 2,582 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Great reveiw and congratulations! Im sorry so many of you got sick on your trip though.
                  your pictures are fantastic and you look beautiful!

#9 *~*Mel*~*

• 647 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone

#10 aepproduction

• 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We are getting married at the Elegance, but we are also using Yadilis and DJ Mannia. I have had a positive experience thus far with both, but it is always reassuring to see other brides' experiences. Best of luck!
                      June 11, 2010
                      Punta Cana, DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users